PDA

View Full Version : Single shot mine and comet tubes

Mattp
10-08-2018, 07:40 PM
This year i plan to use some comets and mines.. im sure this has been answered multiple times.but still goimg to ask.. . the ones im looking at say they fit into a 2" tube ... does anyone know whicch 2" they mean... a 2" dr11.. or a 2" dr 17 ???

cptnding
10-08-2018, 08:31 PM
They will not fit into a DR11. The DR11 guns are are 1.91".
They do not need to be in a mortar tube for safety or function. It is only a convenience if you happen to have a bunch of racks full of 2" guns sitting around.
If you're only using a few in a show it is easiest to just drive stakes in the ground and secure them to the stake. If you're planning on using more (and you should, they are worth the trouble!), you will want to build or purchase racks for them. Lots of options depending on what you want to do and what your budget is.

Mattp
10-08-2018, 09:26 PM
They will not fit into a DR11. The DR11 guns are are 1.91".
They do not need to be in a mortar tube for safety or function. It is only a convenience if you happen to have a bunch of racks full of 2" guns sitting around.
If you're only using a few in a show it is easiest to just drive stakes in the ground and secure them to the stake. If you're planning on using more (and you should, they are worth the trouble!), you will want to build or purchase racks for them. Lots of options depending on what you want to do and what your budget is.

Thats where my confusion was.. because technically the dr11 are 2" tubes... i do have plenty of extras and was hoping to be able to use them for that.. . i guess stakes may be he way to go for this year

Rick_In_Tampa
10-09-2018, 12:47 AM
Here's what my comet "racks" looked like this year. I bought dowel rods from Wal Mart for (I believe) $.89 each, cut them into 3 pieces, and slid 2 inside the tape and pounded them in the ground. Cheap, efficient, worked like a champ, and I just threw the empty carcass away after the show. The dowel rods will be reused next year. The number of flame effects, and comets secured this way ranged from 1 to 5.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3192&stc=1

Mattp
10-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Here's what my comet "racks" looked like this year. I bought dowel rods from Wal Mart for (I believe) $.89 each, cut them into 3 pieces, and slid 2 inside the tape and pounded them in the ground. Cheap, efficient, worked like a champ

Lol.. a true " poor mans rack" ...gotta love duct tape.. thanks rick.. that definitely seems to be the way i will go.. super simple and quick

MtnViewPyro
10-09-2018, 08:44 AM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3193&stc=1If 76 ever offers a group buy on these again, I recommend getting some. They are a little expensive, but they will last forever and you have built in angles. In addition, you can put anything from comets to the 62mm single shots on them.

Mattp
10-09-2018, 09:21 AM
3193If 76 ever offers a group buy on these again, I recommend getting some. They are a little expensive, but they will last forever and you have built in angles. In addition, you can put anything from comets to the 62mm single shots on them.

Ohh the pyro lama.. yes those are really nice!! definitely more then i planned to spend this year... but thats never stopped any of us before.. lol

cptnding
10-09-2018, 07:47 PM
DR11 is 2" pipe but has an inside diameter of 1.91" as opposed to 2" DR17 which has an id of 2.08".
Very easy to build a simple rack or 2 (or more!) for mines and comets.

Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi76ELbQNbI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi76ELbQNbI

Cheap, quick, and easy.

cptnding
10-09-2018, 08:41 PM
3193If 76 ever offers a group buy on these again, I recommend getting some. They are a little expensive, but they will last forever and you have built in angles. In addition, you can put anything from comets to the 62mm single shots on them.

Yes, the Pyrolamas are fantastic. I use them as well and have been very happy with them.
I would highly advise you not to use them with 62mm single shot shells though. The holders will NOT stand up to them. I was skeptical when I first got them that the holders would be strong enough and decided to test them with a very safe distance (400+ feet away). With the pyro lama flat on the ground it held up. When in an arch and the tubes attached at 15 degrees left and right, 3 of the 4 holders snapped and sent tubes flying. Pretty much what I expected.
I've never seen or heard of it happening but I would hate to think of what would happen if a 62mm shell blew in the tube on one of the pyro lamas.
Please don't think I'm trying to be "holier than thou", just wanted to share my results from testing it out.