PDA

View Full Version : Metals in break charge

Mattp
10-08-2018, 05:42 PM
We all know by now what is going on with the metals in break charge issue.. my question is.. what is the purpose/function of it?? Is it solely to make a louder boom? Or is it needed to produce some of the really cool effects that we have.. ill tell you one thing.. the consumer shells today compared to when i was a kid are rediculously better.

countryboy7978
10-08-2018, 08:56 PM
We all know by now what is going on with the metals in break charge issue.. my question is.. what is the purpose/function of it?? Is it solely to make a louder boom? Or is it needed to produce some of the really cool effects that we have.. ill tell you one thing.. the consumer shells today compared to when i was a kid are rediculously better.

Metal in break charges makes for a sharper report and typically a more symmetrical break from a canister style insert found in most cakes and high performance reloadable shells. Other than what I just wrote, and the white flash upon break it doesn’t add anything. To me a metal containing charge is more more satisfying than a BP one.

Mattp
10-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Thats enough reasons for me.. i do agree, the canister shells nowadays are very satisfying!!

beaver nation
10-09-2018, 01:56 PM
anyone have any info about the aid to igniting stars?? I am real interested to know more fully whether metals do in fact help ignite a higher number of stars in shells. I think sometimes some shells that have too much pressure bursting can also "blow out" stars?? I have heard theory that ignition of a higher percentage of stars is aided by fine mesh either adhering or the temperature? I would think we get a nice big break of stars with metals that we know are very stable in all types of storage conditions (humidity, temps, etc.) and to move away from that seem foolish especially since there are very low injuries with cakes and shells that are actually compliant to current requirements (and injuries that do occur now would still be similar with little to no change even if there were no metals in burst charge as there has been zero factual evidence to show that bursts have been injuring people or an substantial difference in burst with or without metal as to actual injuries (especially with genuine 1.4g products used as intended by consumers).

Mattp
10-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Someone did say that on here about burning temperature needed for certain effects.. but i dont know about truth behind it.. i do know i went on the cpsc website and looked up firework injury data back to 1988.. which is as far back as it goes on the website.(30years).. . and there is absolutely no increase of injury from then to now..it fluctuates by a few thousand year to year.. but. actually 1990-94 had the most injuries in the 30 year period

PyroJoeNEPA
10-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Rolling stars with a thick coat of prime cost more than rolling stars with a thin layer of prime...a "hotter" break charge will ignite the stars easier---and cost less....so, it is all about the $$$$ in manufacture.

countryboy7978
10-09-2018, 10:43 PM
Hard breaks typically result in more stars that are blown blind. It’s a balance between noise and star ignition. Soft breaks allow fire to engulf the inside of the casing before the stars are expelled. Soft breaks in anything but horsetails or falling leaves are uninspiring.

PYROman xl
11-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Any news on this topic? I’m stocking up now on canister shells. Bought 2 cases last night.

jknepp1954
11-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Any news on this topic? I’m stocking up now on canister shells. Bought 2 cases last night.

Actually yes! Here is a link to follow!
https://cpsc.gov/Newsroom/Public-Calendar/2018-11-08-213000/commissioner-feldman-and-staff-from-the-office-of?fbclid=IwAR2xfZT9nN-nd3-1X01gMWh3pk4C2qfjG6YDC0yAHb8SuBHM7bv3TsOrGbA

RalphieJ
11-09-2018, 03:15 PM
A while back I read a pretty technical article arguing against the use of flash powder (or too much of it) in break charges. The theory, simply put, was that the flash will cause the eyes to "white out" (my term), similar to the way a camera flash does, and reduces the eyes' ability to see the subsequent colors of the stars in their purest form. Can't remember the author, might have been Bill Ofca.........

Mattp
11-09-2018, 05:55 PM
Actually yes! Here is a link to follow! [/url]

Wow.. at least they give a whole weeks notice.. for people who may want to go to the open portion... typical move ... any news on how it went??