PDA

View Full Version : Bring A Tear To Your Eye

joewad
09-30-2018, 07:39 PM
Well, my early fall shoot went great, better than usual, except one thing that'll bring a tear to your eye. The finale was located behind a pond levee. At the end of the shoot it was the usual putting out cake fires, etc, nothing unusual. Made sure fires were out and retired for the evening and bask in the fireworks afterglow with drink of choice and relax. I went back the next morning to start the cleanup only to find my 3 inch (140) and 4 inch (36) racks "toasted". Wood racks, fiberglass guns. I guess a smoldering amber got me, it happens.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3183&stc=1

Supermanpyro8
09-30-2018, 09:12 PM
Oh my god that is heart breaking. I can’t imagine what you thought when you first saw it.

BMoore
09-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Ouch. That is painful to look at.

Kenny East
09-30-2018, 11:44 PM
That's a very sad sight!

cherrybomb1
10-01-2018, 12:25 AM
Well, my early fall shoot went great, better than usual, except one thing that'll bring a tear to your eye. The finale was located behind a pond levee. At the end of the shoot it was the usual putting out cake fires, etc, nothing unusual. Made sure fires were out and retired for the evening and bask in the fireworks afterglow with drink of choice and relax. I went back the next morning to start the cleanup only to find my 3 inch (140) and 4 inch (36) racks "toasted". Wood racks, fiberglass guns. I guess a smoldering amber got me, it happens.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3183&stc=1
There needs to be a Pyro go fund me page lol.I have a few 4” fiberglass mortars I’ll give to you if we cross paths at a demo next year...nice shoot site by the way!

rocky99
10-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Look at it this way.....you're lucky you didn't have them in the back of your truck!

PGH_Pyro
10-01-2018, 01:20 PM
hose em down, next time before you get into the beer... (assuming all shells shot...)

PyroJoeNEPA
10-01-2018, 07:02 PM
OUCH! That had to be one heck of a raging bonfire!!!

joewad
10-03-2018, 03:21 PM
In the end, and after the tears, you gotta keep your sense of humor through it all. I started the replacement with the below....

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3186&stc=1

displayfireworks1
10-03-2018, 07:25 PM
I have seen that sort of thing happen more than once. Most recent was, where the racks were stored ants started to eat at the wood and all this fine sawdust powder was one the racks. After the show we took a break to eat and when we came back to tear it down they smoldered into almost nothing, including the HDPE pipe. We just bruned them all the rest of the way down and called it a loss.

shake the cove
10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Wow, what a bummer. I may reconsider leaving my racks up till morning.I do hate working in dark,still hot sticky,tired and mosquitoes and breaking everything down to put in truck.
Good thing it did not burn grass further to other racks. You will look back on this in a few years and laugh, but not right now

PyroJoeNEPA
10-04-2018, 06:47 PM
I've noticed that the biggest culprit to "smoldering accidents" is from bits of quick match. The company I shoot for is 100% efire and our last two containers of shells have been custom made for us with VERY short leaders & ematch ports--just long enough to clear the top of the shell by about 2 inches. This leaves almost zero residual smoldering bits of quick match laying around from these shells and makes clean up a breeze.
Prior to that with full length leaders there were bits of burning quick match everywhere.
Unfortunately, we still have the clean up issue with smoldering bits of match from our time delay and finale chains...no way to get around that---but the foil over the guns keeps it localized pretty much.

joewad
10-05-2018, 11:37 PM
I've noticed that the biggest culprit to "smoldering accidents" is from bits of quick match. The company I shoot for is 100% efire and our last two containers of shells have been custom made for us with VERY short leaders & ematch ports--just long enough to clear the top of the shell by about 2 inches. This leaves almost zero residual smoldering bits of quick match laying around from these shells and makes clean up a breeze.
Prior to that with full length leaders there were bits of burning quick match everywhere.
Unfortunately, we still have the clean up issue with smoldering bits of match from our time delay and finale chains...no way to get around that---but the foil over the guns keeps it localized pretty much.

First year I've used chains, I think you found the culprit