PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline mortars

cherrybomb1
09-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Does anyone have any experience with gasoline mortar building?.I can get some 6in stainless pipe from work but was wondering the length I should cut it.Thanks for any help!

cptnding
09-12-2018, 09:09 PM
I'm no expert but know enough to be dangerous lol.
That's a complicated question to answer. It really depends on how much volume you want it to hold to produce the fireball you're looking for. A 36" mortar should hold 4 gallons with enough room left at the top (you need this unless you don't mind fire on the ground). I have a couple of 6" x 20" ones that hold about 2 gallons. And then you get into the size of the lift, type of bp for the lift, and water or no water in the mortar. Lots of opinions out there.

cherrybomb1
09-14-2018, 05:29 AM
I got a couple 6”x20” gas mines built at work last night,a shout out to cptnding for his pm he sent me that gave me all the info I needed.Thanks!http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3142&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3143&stc=1

Crush630
09-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Good bead line. That Johnson outboard run?

Pyro Dave
09-14-2018, 02:17 PM
I put 2 holes in my base plates. That way I can stake them down if it's on a slight hill. Also depending how thick your base plate is it probaly wont stay flat for very long, alot of downward pressure is pushed on the center of the plate to lift the fuel from the tube. Eventually the corners start to bend upwards.
If you have never shot these before I strongly recommend having someone teach you and to practice with plenty of distance and safety in mind. I also always let the FD know they will be shot and roughly when in a show. Otherwise you might cause them to panic, once they go into emergency mode good luck stopping them before your entire show is hosed down.

cherrybomb1
09-15-2018, 04:46 AM
Good bead line. That Johnson outboard run?

Thanks Crush,motor runs...i took the boat off the trailer and replacing all the lights and wiring.

cherrybomb1
09-15-2018, 04:55 AM
I put 2 holes in my base plates. That way I can stake them down if it's on a slight hill. Also depending how thick your base plate is it probaly wont stay flat for very long, alot of downward pressure is pushed on the center of the plate to lift the fuel from the tube. Eventually the corners start to bend upwards.
If you have never shot these before I strongly recommend having someone teach you and to practice with plenty of distance and safety in mind. I also always let the FD know they will be shot and roughly when in a show. Otherwise you might cause them to panic, once they go into emergency mode good luck stopping them before your entire show is hosed down.
Thanks Pyro Dave,is there an inherent danger besides the obvious(igniting 2 gallons of gasoline)i'll be doing this on farm land using my Cobra with a slat and a 100ft db25 lead.i've seen lots of videos but none with fails.can the gas eat thru the lift charge causing it to go off?

Mattp
09-16-2018, 11:08 AM
Thanks Pyro Dave,is there an inherent danger besides the obvious(igniting 2 gallons of gasoline)i'll be doing this on farm land using my Cobra with a slat and a 100ft db25 lead.i've seen lots of videos but none with fails.can the gas eat thru the lift charge causing it to go off?
Ive seen videos where the guy was using a special polypropylene(or something simialr) container for the bp.. but then I saw one where the guy was using a freezer ziploc bag... wrapped with electrical tape.. i would think as long as its not soaking in It too long.. youll be ok.. whichever liquid tight container you use

cptnding
09-16-2018, 10:37 PM

I have not seen one fail but my limited understanding is that if fuel were to leak into the lift it would either not ignite or would be very weak causing a LOT of fire on the ground. Either scenario would be dangerous to deal with.
In my mind the most dangerous issues with fuel mines are handling the lift charges with an electric match installed. The results of any accident while handling the lift would be severe to say the least.
One other issue that I have worried about is over charging the lift and causing the fuel to "blow blind". This would cause the fuel to be dispersed into very small droplets over a large area without igniting. Very dangerous as well for obvious reasons.
Pyro Dave's post is spot on. They will create a surprising amount of downward force. I recently saw a 4 gallon mortar fired on somewhat soft ground embed itself a good 3" into the dirt.
Fuel mines should be very carefully tested in a well controlled environment and it sounds like that's what you are doing.

Pyro Dave
09-17-2018, 09:52 AM
There are always things that can go wrong. Like others have said, handling the charge after it's made. I always pick mine up by the wire once it's made. Under/over lifting can cause more spillage and fires. I tend to throw a 4?4 sheet of plywood under mine just in case to help prevent burning up the grass. I like to use a small amount of water in the bottom of the tube as well. I know not everyone does.

Lots or testing is the best approach.

RalphieJ
09-17-2018, 07:47 PM
And here I thought you guys were using powdered coffee creamer or naphthalene because it was safer?

Rick_In_Tampa
09-18-2018, 05:36 AM
"I got a couple 6?x20? gas mines built at work last night..."

I hate you guys that can do this s--t in your sleep! :p It's just not fair that my only mechanical ability involves reading the numbers off a debit card.

Those look awesome CB1. Very impressive. Stupid question time. How do you know the weld at the bottom is water/gas tight? Did you test them I assume? Do you have to do anything special to ensure the weld will withstand the force of the explosion you're making?

Can't wait to see them in use! Just be careful!!

Rick_In_Tampa
09-18-2018, 05:39 AM
And here I thought you guys were using powdered coffee creamer or naphthalene because it was safer?

I made a few using a green bean can, coffee filter and sawdust. Very low tech, but created a nice fireball. No where near what these babies are going to produce!! But not too bad for a backyard pyro.

MtnViewPyro
09-18-2018, 07:55 AM
I used coffee creamer in a four gallon bucket for my first fireball. Really enjoyed it. I will stay away from gasoline for awhile lol.

cherrybomb1
09-18-2018, 07:32 PM
There are always things that can go wrong. Like others have said, handling the charge after it's made. I always pick mine up by the wire once it's made. Under/over lifting can cause more spillage and fires. I tend to throw a 4?4 sheet of plywood under mine just in case to help prevent burning up the grass. I like to use a small amount of water in the bottom of the tube as well. I know not everyone does.

Lots or testing is the best approach.
There's a good video on YouTube from Pyro Nation where they set up 4" 6" and 12" gas mines...they cover the lift charge with water. it looks almost too easy to set up.maybe that's a bad omen lol!

cherrybomb1
09-18-2018, 07:47 PM
"I got a couple 6?x20? gas mines built at work last night..."

I hate you guys that can do this s--t in your sleep! :p It's just not fair that my only mechanical ability involves reading the numbers off a debit card.

Those look awesome CB1. Very impressive. Stupid question time. How do you know the weld at the bottom is water/gas tight? Did you test them I assume? Do you have to do anything special to ensure the weld will withstand the force of the explosion you're making?

Can't wait to see them in use! Just be careful!!

Well I still cant post normal pictures or any video at all on here! lol They held water so hopefully they will hold gas too.as far as the weld goes I'll just have to cross my fingers... everything was done with stainless but I don't know if that makes a difference or not...I'm blaming my fascination with this on that 650 gallon one at the PGI!

Kenny East
09-19-2018, 05:25 AM
I've never done gasoline... Done coffee creamer, 50/50 charcoal and napthalane. Also made some methanol colored ghost mines.

Seen many grass fires started by fallout from gas fireballs, one of these days I'll have to try some.

cherrybomb1
10-13-2018, 10:44 PM
I took my gas mortars back to work and added another 12x12” 1/4” plate to the bottom and put some side supports on them.The only downside is need a forklift to move them now Lol.Those are my 4” racks in the background I'm working on.http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3199&stc=1

displayfireworks1
10-14-2018, 07:07 AM
Those gasoline mortars look great, nice work. You know just a few years back that PGI member did that in-service on these gas fire balls and it really caught on quickly. Years ago it was all coffee creamer , now it appears gasoline has moved into that position. Years back i saw that napthalane sold in flake form at a local Dollar Store.
At Kenny: I always wanted to make the red flame methanol, what chemical is added to methanol for that or other color effects?
Additionally, has anyone ever tried an E-85 fireball mine? I would guess it would not be as dramatic because it has less energy . However I am wondering if the same flame material added to methanol to give color effect would readily dissolve in E-85 alcohol base and give a nice color fireball? I would imagine buying methanol by the gallon is very expensive. E-85 is very inexpensive.

RalphieJ
10-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Racing methanol is just under $10 a gallon, minimum 5 gallon can:

http://www.racefuel.com/vp-m1-methanol/