PDA

View Full Version : fusing "slices"

rocky99
09-05-2018, 12:51 PM
I would like 7 mortars in a rack to fire simultaneously, without using 7 e-matches, similar to how dominator "slices" work. The idea is to have 7 2" comets or mines fire at the same time. Anyone here ever take one apart and see how it is done? I would think if 7 pieces of quickmatch (same length) were tied into a bucket and fired with 1 e-match, there would be some differences in timing.....ideas?

Kenny East
09-06-2018, 05:07 AM
I build most of my slices using either quick match or 0.02 sec/foot fuse... Depending on the spacing of the tubes the bottoms are usually very close together. If you place a bucket in the middle of the fanned tube fusing it would probably give you the closest timing to that of a slice rather than a sweep. If you're using dominator or similar proline mines/comets... You can run a few errands of black match into the port, then insert the black match into a piece of quick match running across the ports. Tape it up good though.

Sticky match fast works great for that purpose as well.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-07-2018, 03:17 PM
The Dominator slice cakes have strands of black match going from tube to tube and covered with a very thin "chinese masking type tape".
What Kenny said above will do the job for you.

rocky99
09-10-2018, 12:33 PM
Thought I replied earlier but don't see my post. I'm planning on using reusable HDPE mortars and fusing from the top. I believe you both are talking about bottom fusing (similar to Dominator slices). Again, is there a better way than tying equal lengths of quickmatch into a bucket and firing it with one ematch? Also, is the fuse burning at 0.02 sec/foot a typo? Never heard of such a fast fuse. Thanks

PyroJoeNEPA
09-10-2018, 08:25 PM
If you use quick match tied into a bucket with a single ematch you should be fine. Quick match burns sooooo fast you will not see any time lag between the tubes.

Kenny East
09-25-2018, 05:51 AM
My bad, that fuse is 0.17-0.2 sec a foot...quick match replacing the leaders is going to be your best bet over ematching each shot and running them all in the same cue.

Most of the slices I make using cardboard tubes with the intention that I only plan to shoot them once, so poking a small hole in the tube isn't an issue. If you're shooting something light like a mine or comet, you can use cardboard tubes without any issues. I like a small hole, feed a length of the speed fuse I want to use in the hole and out the muzzle. Insert the fuse into the shell/mine lift...then carefully draw the extra fuse and shell back down to the bottom of the tube. Then you can fuse up the individual fuses according to how you want them to fire.

Pros and cons either way, qm is great for a fan, but not very controlled for a sweep or another fire pattern.