PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a total noob

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone. This past weekend while walking around Sam's club the wife and I saw some fireworks.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3119&stc=1

So now we are hosting a big party where I will get to have some fun shooting off some fireworks. I am very excited but soon I was wondering is this assortment package a good buy? Well that question lead me to this place to start to find some answers. I live in the Atlanta, GA area and I have 3 fireworks stores pretty close to me and a few others a bit further of a drive but very doable. The 3 stores close to me are TNT, Phantom and a Jake's fireworks. From what I have seen here TNT and Phantom are not popular at all but I did not find a lot on here about Jake's.

I do not want to spend a ton of money on the fireworks display as its our first year hosting so I want to keep my budget around $200-$300 total. Any suggestions for a noob looking to get the most bang for my buck?

Thanks,

Ed

Mattp
06-19-2018, 12:30 PM
Hey ed.. welcome to pyrotalk.. usually i stay away from those type of assortments.. it also really depends on your plans.. if your just looking to shoot a few things off and have some fun.. then id say theyre a decent buy.. but if you go to a store.. you may not get as many items for that price.. but the items you get will be much better products.. ive always wanted to check out a jakes.. other guys know better than me.. but pretty sure theyr the leading world class brand distributer... personally i would go there rather than the other two... i dont know about jakes price structure.. but it CANNOT be more than the others!!! Good luck. Alot of people are hard at work prepping their stuff in their spare time.. but Im sure someone with more jakes experience will chime in soon..

PGH_Pyro
06-19-2018, 01:02 PM
TNT is junk and they are bad news , the b.s. they are doing politically.

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I stopped by the TNT store during my lunch break for a quick look. Even with the buy 1 get 1 or even 2 free things just seemed expensive. The assortment from Sam's club seemed like a better deal for the money than anything in the store. I am going to try Jake's next.

Mattp
06-19-2018, 02:59 PM
Oh yes... those "buy 1 get one deals"... are usually 2-3x as expensive as just buying one thing in another store.. you actually end up paying more per piece with the bogo

displayfireworks1
06-19-2018, 03:19 PM
If you go to Jakes. See if my 2 cakes are on the shelf

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 03:58 PM
If you go to Jakes. See if my 2 cakes are on the shelf

I'll be headed over to Jake's this week. What are your 2 cakes named?

MtnViewPyro
06-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Welcome to Pyrotalk! Like Mattp said, it all boils down to what you’re wanting to do. It’s been a bit since I’ve purchased the assortments. For a little gathering and the little ones, those assortments can be pretty nice. They give you a little of everything in most instances. However, $300 could get you a pretty decent stash of 200 gram and 500gram cakes for a first year little fun. Jakes is most likely your best bet for the 200, 500gram, and artillery stuff. However, I’m not against the assortments, but $650 is way too much for that assortment. You can buy a full five minute show from 76fireworks for less than that.

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 05:04 PM
Welcome to Pyrotalk! Like Mattp said, it all boils down to what you’re wanting to do. It’s been a bit since I’ve purchased the assortments. For a little gathering and the little ones, those assortments can be pretty nice. They give you a little of everything in most instances. However, $300 could get you a pretty decent stash of 200 gram and 500gram cakes for a first year little fun. Jakes is most likely your best bet for the 200, 500gram, and artillery stuff. However, I’m not against the assortments, but $650 is way too much for that assortment. You can buy a full five minute show from 76fireworks for less than that.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to check out Jake's for sure this week. The assortment pictured only costs $200 which would potentially leave me with some extra money to play with at Jake's if I did decide to purchase it.

Crush630
06-19-2018, 05:15 PM
650 for that?? Those re-loadable mortar boxes are like 8 bucks a piece. Id return that and spend my cash on some decent cakes.

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 05:36 PM
650 for that?? Those re-loadable mortar boxes are like 8 bucks a piece. Id return that and spend my cash on some decent cakes.

The sticker says 650 value but the cost is $200.00

MtnViewPyro
06-19-2018, 06:02 PM
Oh ok. $200 isn’t extremely overpriced. For $650 tnt should be charged for rape lol. If you and your family enjoy fireworks and you plan on doing this again, consider finding a wholesale place near you for next year. Your budget is maxed at $300 this year, but I know several wholesalers that let you get discounts at th $500 level. You will be blown away in the difference in what $500 wholesale gets you compared to $300 retail.

displayfireworks1
06-19-2018, 06:09 PM
At Beer Guy Ed here they are. I am curious if you see them in Georgia. They are sold through Jakes World Class.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3120&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3121&stc=1

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the advice. If I can convince a couple of others to throw in maybe I can get to 500. I’ll look for a wholesale place around here. It’s a big city there has to be one right?

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 06:15 PM
At Beer Guy Ed here they are. I am curious if you see them in Georgia. They are sold through Jakes World Class.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3120&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3121&stc=1

I’ll be on the lookout for them.

Pyro Paul
06-19-2018, 07:19 PM
Welcome to Pyro talk Ed!

nayslayer
06-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Definitely go to Jake's. If I was you, I'd spend half the budget on 200gram cakes, maybe a 500 gram one, some fuse, Roman candles, bottle Rocket, firecrackers and some zippers. Tanks if you got some little guys around. $300 should be fine.

Big Worm
06-19-2018, 09:02 PM
Welcome Ed!! One more vote for Jake's!! For that budget i would personally try for a canister artillery kit, 4 500g cakes academic pyro, pyro dave, cats and dogs, and chasing booty. Then I would spend the rest on 200g cakes. Good luck staying on budget, it's not easy

BeerGuyEd
06-19-2018, 09:35 PM
I’m looking forward to checking out Jakes. I’ve found this place that looks decent as well. At the very least it’s been a lot more fun checking everything out then just buying an assortment.

https://skykingfireworks.com/

PyroManiacs
06-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Welcome to Pyrotalk!

SkyKing is overpriced as well.

MtnViewPyro
06-19-2018, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the advice. If I can convince a couple of others to throw in maybe I can get to 500. I’ll look for a wholesale place around here. It’s a big city there has to be one right?

Jakes does wholesale but I have no clue what their minimum is. Best thing about wholesale, they can ship it right to your door. Of course it cost to ship, but it opens the door to many wholesale companies across the USA. Unfortunately, it’s too late this year for shipping. I think if you follow the advice of everyone on here to go to Jakes, you will have a good first year. Then next year, you will have a lot more time to make buying decisions. Fireworks is all about planning and buying early.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-19-2018, 11:57 PM
Check out WF Booms sister company, Patriotic Fireworks. They sell what they call their "Ultimate Aerial Assortment" for $285 if you bought it before June 17th. It has 35 pieces in 7 cases. Much MUCH better effects than what you're looking at. Shop early next year and save $$.

Kenny East
06-20-2018, 03:52 AM
Welcome to pyrotalk, I would pass on the assortment as well. Think jakes or maybe a tent that opens closer to the fourth may be the better option... That way you get to choose what you get and don't pay for all the extra air in that assortment. Advice for the new pyro, save your tubes... Most fiberglass and all hdpe tubes can be used many times beyond their intended life span of 6-12 shots. When I first started I saved cardboard, not the best but they can be used at least once the next year of they are in good shape. Cakes are a great option for new pyro's since you don't have racks. 200grams are usually a good value for their shot counts.

Pyro Paul
06-20-2018, 05:44 AM
Welcome to pyrotalk, I would pass on the assortment as well. Think jakes or maybe a tent that opens closer to the fourth may be the better option... That way you get to choose what you get and don't pay for all the extra air in that assortment. Advice for the new pyro, save your tubes... Most fiberglass and all hdpe tubes can be used many times beyond their intended life span of 6-12 shots. When I first started I saved cardboard, not the best but they can be used at least once the next year of they are in good shape. Cakes are a great option for new pyro's since you don't have racks. 200grams are usually a good value for their shot counts.

If he needs tubes, I think cptnding had some excal tubes he was giving away in N. Georgia... not sure if he ever found a home for them. I know if I'd have had an offer like that when I first started out I'd have jumped all over it lol.

chriskrc
06-20-2018, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you. I wouldn't buy TNT if it was the last thing on earth. To much ridiculous political b.s. against the fireworks industry.

PyroManiacs
06-20-2018, 07:41 AM
Check out WF Booms sister company, Patriotic Fireworks. They sell what they call their "Ultimate Aerial Assortment" for $285 if you bought it before June 17th. It has 35 pieces in 7 cases. Much MUCH better effects than what you're looking at. Shop early next year and save $$.

I approve this message.

BeerGuyEd
06-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the advice. You all have been awesome. I am going to try to swing by Jake's this afternoon for a quick look around. I am already starting to plan out next year's party in my head. I will be buying early, and looking to spend enough to qualify for wholesale to really get some bang for my bucks. Jake's has wholesale for personal use starting at 1K which with a year to plan won't be a problem. Now I just need to make sure this year is a lot of fun so I can get the SWMBO to approve next year's plan.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Welcome to Pyro Talk Ed. And now the "smell the smoke" pyro addiction begins. Have fun but be safe!!!!!

biged17
09-18-2018, 08:17 PM

Love this place, been going here for about 9 years now, ever since I got their flyer in the mail. They bought out the stock from a place we used to go in Muncy PA when they retired from the business. It's also a nice getaway weekend area, campground about 6 minutes away, also have a college town nearby if you like the party scene as well.

Always got the Ultimate Aerial Assortment, and then some novelty stuff in their outlet store until one year it was sold out and had to buy some assortment cases and then stuff from outlet store and then became addicted..lol... Now myself and a few friends are early birds and go in March and hit well over the minimum to get the 40% off, have a nice show for our families and friends, and always plenty left over to last the year other celebrations...