PDA

View Full Version : Colorado 1.3 endeavor... Possible while still enjoying it?

PYROCO
06-17-2018, 06:10 AM
Hello fellow firework lovers,

My name is Josh, I'm long time lover of pyro & fireworks and I live in Colorado. Been watching Dave's videos for a long time. Love them!

I started making little displays from a young age (parents supervised). Now im currently even more into fireworks and infatuated with the ability to paint the sky with color and fire. I absolutely love putting on a good show for people :D, love hearing people cheer after a good finale! I currently have to travel out of state to get the good 1.4 stuff to do our backyard fun every 4th. I have for a long time wanted to take my fireworks level to a new high so I just yesterday ordered Dave's package on getting my type 54 ATF. (planning on 2019 as my first 1.3 year) But, I have many questions that I am not able to find answers for that I am not sure will be covered in the package from Dave, such as....

1-In Colorado, is an insurance policy needed for my private use of 1.3g products? I know it is for a public display (1 million min., whats that cost!?).
2-What are the requirements/rules for having a 50lbs magazine in an external building?
3-What determines the difference between private and public displays? Who owns the land?
4-Will getting busted using illegal 1.4 cause issues getting my ATF type 54?
5-Can I just shoot appropriate size 1.3 in my backyard or is a permit required no matter what? I see people in videos just take 1.3 outside and shoot at will, even stuff I would consider too big for the situation.
7-Anyone know if the RMPG is worth joining? or is PGI better/enough?

I am an extremely safety first kind of person, I always keep my usage reasonable to my shoot site. I consider myself a backyard expert that's always willing to learn, but would like to spice up my personal usage to the pro level. Doing larger public shows is in my road map but for now, I just want to learn whats available, whats possible and have good safe fun. Any input, help, pointers, direction is very much appreciated!

This turned out to be a bigger post than expected, forgive me if it is to much for the Introduction area...

Pyro Paul
06-17-2018, 07:25 AM
Welcome to Pyrotalk, I lived in Colo Sprgs for 4 yrs while I was stationed @ Cheyenne Mtn AFB and that first 4th of July was quite a shock while there. It was such a let down when I tried to purchase fireworks there. So I always managed to take leave in June after that and purchase much needed pyro before returning home lol. I was fairly popular on the 4th after that, thank God we never got caught... As far as private vs public, I know that as long as there is no money changing hands and you're doing it on privately owned land for personal entertainment, then the rules change quite a bit but being that you're in Colorado there may be other rules that apply like getting a permit etc. I'd check with your state and local laws for that info also check with the state fire marshals office in Colorado for that info. As far as shooting in your back yard, it depends on clearances. NFPA 1123 covers a lot of that. The orange book covers the requirements for getting your type 54. If you ordered Daves package I'm sure it will answer a lot of your questions. Again welcome to pyrotalk!!

displayfireworks1
06-17-2018, 07:27 AM
I see you purchased my ATF DVD package. I prefer all ATF license questions be directed to my email after someone purchases my DVD package. Please wait until you receive the material and watch the DVD's . Once you do that you will have an understanding of how of this works. I see you lice in Colorado , I mailed out of Pennsylvania , please allow 7 to 10 to receive.

displayfireworks1
06-17-2018, 08:03 AM
Here is a video about an ATF magazine in an unoccupied building such as a shed or garage etc. This video is courtesy of one of the pyrotalk forums members. I have heard from many enthusiast following my videos they have done the exact same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoRgwcyF2dQ

Kenny East
06-20-2018, 03:42 AM
Welcome to pyrotalk, getting your user permit isn't hard. The DVD package from Dave will help you fill in most of the blanks. That's how I got mine, best of luck!

Arclight
09-25-2019, 12:22 AM
I know this is an old post, but your comment about the guy who was over on a 50lb indoor explosives magazine is interesting. A standard case of dynamite is 50lbs net explosive weight. The size of the sticks (i.e. 1 1/8" x 8", 2x12" etc.) determines how many sticks are in it. But some vendors like Orica sell in 25kg cases. I wonder if that's how he got jammed up?

I've heard that distributors that cater to forestry and land management will sell partial cases or by the piece. It only takes a couple of sticks of powder to take down a rotten 16" diameter tree, so a 50lb magazine could hold a lot of product for someone like that. Most general explosives dealers only do whole cases however. You could invite trouble if you don't ask about case weight before you order.

displayfireworks1
09-27-2019, 12:25 PM
At Arclight. I know very little about so called real explosives . Its always nice to hear from someone that does know
I'm curious the one brand that supplies in Kg . Is that product imported.

Arclight
09-27-2019, 10:13 PM
The three big ones are Dyno-Nobel, Austin Powder and Orica. Orica is the one I'm pretty sure sells only in kilograms. You generally buy whatever brand they have a regional distributor for in your area.