PDA

View Full Version : 60G Artillery Shell Bracket for 2018

HenryBoy
06-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Hey guys, we put our bracket challenge together for 2018. The decibel meter made a reappearance this year. I will post a link to both the preview video and the first half of round 1. We'd love to have you vote by commenting on our video over at YouTube! Thanks for participating.

Artillery Shell Bracket Preview video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZARLzErLKc

Round 1 Bracket side A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfvujpWe-o&lc=z22wg3hwtpbmf3f0xacdp43a0zldgcqqthoompscuqhw03c 010c

joed2323
06-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Can I ask you how you decide on which effects you shoot? Do you just toss them in a bag and reach in and grab one then shoot it?

It would be nice to match crackle vs crackle, peony vs peony, glitter vs glitter etc etc to see a fair comparison

Granted I don't think all brands list effects on each shell

Anyway, thanks for doing the comparison/bracket challenge

joewad
06-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Though I didn't vote it appeared to me that the shells with lower DBs had a better spread. Or was it from that last drink I had.

HenryBoy
06-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Can I ask you how you decide on which effects you shoot? Do you just toss them in a bag and reach in and grab one then shoot it?

It would be nice to match crackle vs crackle, peony vs peony, glitter vs glitter etc etc to see a fair comparison

Granted I don't think all brands list effects on each shell

Anyway, thanks for doing the comparison/bracket challenge

We match effects to the best of our ability. Sometimes we have to match a "purple with green strobe" to a " sea blue with green glitter" OR we have to match up a "Brocade Crown" with "Brocade Crown and Silver Chrys." Some shell kits don't have labels for the effects, and so we shoot four or five shells and match up the effects to the best of our ability. Other shells (Excals most notably) can be mismarked. I am sure that some of the mistakes are our own as well.

This year, we chose multi colored peony, double effect shell that includes strobe or glitter, and a brocade as our three effects to match up.

I hope this helps, and would love some pointers to make the bracket more fair.

joed2323
06-14-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks for going into detail about how you guys do this.

I don't want to be the guy that says you should have done this or why didn't you do that?

If it doesn't compromise your own stash, would it be asking too much to see two shots of each effect? Lots of variables come into play with shooting one shell or effect from each kit, "colored peony" and one of "brocade" for example

Much appreciation to you for trying to keep this as fair as possible under the circumstances

HenryBoy
06-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Thanks for going into detail about how you guys do this.

I don't want to be the guy that says you should have done this or why didn't you do that?

If it doesn't compromise your own stash, would it be asking too much to see two shots of each effect? Lots of variables come into play with shooting one shell or effect from each kit, "colored peony" and one of "brocade" for example

Much appreciation to you for trying to keep this as fair as possible under the circumstances

I am a data driven guy, and actually really like constructive criticism. In the past we have shot over 30 brands shells and realized that there just wasn't enough legal time after sufficient darkness, to get that many shells up. We pared it down to 18 this year to try to make light less of an issue. I do think that multiple shells of each would work better. It'd be the NBA series model over the NCAA one game model! I do like the distance perspective, because it really brings out the height differential between shells. Any more suggestions would be great. It is interesting to me that there are one or two brands that always seem to end up in the finals.

cptnding
06-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Good stuff. Thank you for doing this!