PDA

View Full Version : Mine and Comet Positions

Bad Alibi Scott
06-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Using comets and mines for the first time this year and I'm curious what you guys think is the best location as far as front middle or rear. Ill be shooting from two positions for the most part, left and right and have an area that is 150-300 feet from the viewers and 250 feet wide. Looking for some suggestions. Thanks!!!

MtnViewPyro
06-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Well, this will be my first year as well so my comment is more of this is what I’m doing then a suggestion you should take as advice lol. I’m shooting from 5 positions, but majority will be from left, center, and right. In front of my main boards, I will be placing my comets, mines, and slices/sweeps. I think if they are behind cakes, you will not see them as well.

Bad Alibi Scott
06-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Thanks MtnViewPyro, that's pretty much what I was planning as well. Just curious to see if anyone had any other feedback. I'm doing pretty much the same with cakes at left and right, shells center rear and comets and mines left, right and center in the front.

MtnViewPyro
06-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Awesome! It’s getting close to that time. Have a great show and hope I get to watch.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-12-2018, 11:52 PM
I'm also using a boatload of comets and fan slices for the first time this year. I'm shooting three stations (left, center, right) as well. As for positions within the show... I'm not so much worried about what's behind what cake or in front of a cake. It's all going up in the air anyway. So it's not possible to hide anything. The trickiest thing I have planned this year is incorporating 1 sec flame pots in front of some fan slices. I'm trying to give the impression of an explosion with the flame pots going off at the same time as the fan slices. Obviously, the placement of the flame pot relative to the fan slice is important. But for the comets... Not so much. I plan on having the comets on the outside edges shooting up and in towards the center, and some on the outside edges going straight up. I'm still not sure how I'm going to mount them yet either. I built a few racks but I'm not really impressed with my work. So I 'm thinking about just taping them to sticks and shoving them in the ground at angles. Not sure what kind of kick they have, so I'll be doing some testing this coming weekend to figure that out.

How's that for a non-answer? Lol... I'll attach a diagram of my show layout so you can (hopefully) see what I'm talking about.

Mattp
06-13-2018, 06:39 AM
Holy crap rick.. i sure hope you have some help.. even with all the prep work done.. thats still alot of setup... i too feel like the the comets and mines should go in the front and outside edges so you can see them better.. . but like rick said its all going up.. so i guess it really doesnt matter to much.. i also feel like it should go by danger level.. having the heavier bigger stuff toward the back .. and the smaller stuff up front.. i think it will also make everything look more even.. with the smaller stuff a little closer to the crowd... theres another non-answer for ya.. lol... im sure whichever you go with it will be fine!!!

Zippster
06-13-2018, 02:12 PM
What software do you use to make up the diagrams Rick?

Bad Alibi Scott
06-13-2018, 10:51 PM
Thanks Guys, getting closer. Have a few minor details to finish on my script and then load and test hopefully this weekend. Also about 200 canister shells to match 5 or 6 more cases of cakes and 4 cases of mines/comets. A lot of work to do in the coming weeks lol.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-14-2018, 12:18 AM
Holy crap rick.. i sure hope you have some help.. even with all the prep work done.. thats still alot of setup...

Lol... Yes it is!! I think I bit off more than I can chew this year. We'll see. I had a lot of people promise me they'd help. Whether they show up or not is another story altogether.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-14-2018, 12:20 AM
What software do you use to make up the diagrams Rick?

I use MS Visio. There are some freeware versions of it out there that I'm sure work just as well. But I use the MS version.

Zippster
06-14-2018, 10:35 AM
I use MS Visio. There are some freeware versions of it out there that I'm sure work just as well. But I use the MS version.

Thank you sir.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-15-2018, 12:26 AM
Thank you sir.

Quite welcome. Glad to help!