PDA

View Full Version : Battery Replacement for Firing System Question

jayhawker
06-09-2018, 03:21 PM
Hi all,

I have been using an electronic firing system for a few years now. I use a chinese import system and I add a few more cues each year. Last year I used a fresh set of AA batteries in each module, then immediately took them out and have been storing them in a cool closet all year long. After how many shows/firings does everyone replace the batteries in their systems? If it is enough to light up the LEDs for connectivity is it enough for firing? Or will there be a point where it has enough power to run the LEDs and look fine, but then fail to fire in a show. I am trying to avoid that scenario, but replacing all of the batteries each year will not be fun or cheap (up to around 100 cues total this year).

TLDR: How many shows before I need new batteries in my chinese import firing system?

Thanks a bunch!

Mattp
06-09-2018, 08:21 PM
Personally.. i wouldnt take that chance.. i use those used batteries throughout the year for other stuff.. and put fresh in the modules.. would suck to have eveythkng all setup.. all that hard work.. then to have it not work.. and not have replacement batteries on hand.. in the dark... costo has 40 duracell for 15$.. if you get a cheaper brand .. can get 70 for 20$... for 1 use the cheapest ones are fine .. amazon has really good cheap ones too... but i do understand.. AA is another added cost to the whole thing.. but personally.i feel. it is what it is.. . And needs to be done... i have also used the same batteries 4x last year within a month.. then used them for other stuff throughout the year

fatcat
06-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Gottta agree with Mattp. When you absolutely,positivealy have to have it USE NEW BATTERIES!!! The old ones can be used in other devices. Why risk a show for 15 -20 bucks in batteries? Just my 2 cents. BTW looks like you are new to the sight, welcome aboard

Jay_
06-09-2018, 09:52 PM
I’m all about cutting corners when I can, but I’m just paranoid about batteries. Like Matt, I roll with fresh batteries for the show. I reuse batteries when testing, or if the fam and I just go out to shoot a few, but when it comes to the big show on the 4th, I have fresh batteries every time.

Kenny East
06-09-2018, 10:50 PM
I replace them every year, but I also use the cheapest batteries possible. Use them, then let the kids burn up the rest of the power. I've been thinking about getting a lot of rechargeable but kinda seems like it's going to be a pain charging that many batteries. Biggest charging tray I seen charges 24 AA, and it's expensive.

MtnViewPyro
06-09-2018, 11:06 PM
I just went through this with mine. We probably have very similar systems. I have 192 channels. I found a pack of 100 AA batteries on Amazon for $20. They are ACDelco brand, but according to the reviews, they are comparable to your name brands. I’m just going to use them for the show and then just on the demo here and there for the rest of the year. Then next year, buy new ones.

Pyro Paul
06-09-2018, 11:58 PM
If in doubt always use new. You could check them with a voltmeter, an AA battery should register above 1.5 volts DC (closer to 2 volts DC I imagine fully charged). Don't they make batteries with the tester built in to check the charge? For that matter I believe they sell battery testers that you put the battery in and it tells you if it's good or not. I'm sure glad I invested in a cobra system and got the lipo upgrades this year. All I gotta do is plug them in and make sure they're charged up :D

jayhawker
06-10-2018, 12:18 AM
I thought about going the cobra route a couple years ago, but I figured the negatives far outweighed the positives. I can pretty much replace my entire system for the same price as a cobra remote and a single 18 shot module. So to get the the same number of cues I have now it would be something like $1,000. No thanks! I also like being able to spread them out in fours instead of having them locked into 18 cues in the same space. I am able to use shorter igniters, saving even more money as well as having more options for my show (I like to rig up some custom stuff sometimes). Also if one of my four shot modules goes down, I only lose those four and the rest are still good to go. (And at this point I already have an extra remote too in case that breaks on me). Extra redundancy, cheaper igniters, more setup options, and only a fraction of the price? Was a no-brainer for me. All it costs me is a few minutes of battery replacement and around $20, and then I get to use the batteries the rest of the year anyway. If I ever have an extra couple thousand dollars to burn up (on top of the normal fireworks, haha) I may give it a shot. :p

Kevin S
06-10-2018, 09:55 AM
I use a battery tester that I bought off of ebay and I do not remember the exact cost but I do know that it wasn't much. And then when I go to put them in my modules I check every single one. If one shows even a little below full it gets replaced with a fresh battery.

morrison2951
03-31-2019, 08:47 PM
12 new Duracell or Energizer alkaline batteries go in my 12 cue system for every show- better safe than sorry! And don't forget about a new A23 in your remote as well.

Crush630
04-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Always use new batteries every single show. Batteries are cheap, Menards always has good deals on Duracell or Energizer. Plus 11% rebate ill take it.

displayfireworks1
04-01-2019, 11:55 AM
I always wanted to try those non rechargeable lithium batteries in the cobra remote. Anyone ever try those?

jamisonlm3
04-01-2019, 12:01 PM
With my little 12 cue firing system, I put lithium AAs batteries in all the modules except the controller. I'm currently looking into using boost converters in them so I can use just 2 AA batteries in each module. Another idea I've had is to use cables to connect modules together to create a bus system of sorts for the batteries. This would allow me to only use 4 AA for all 3 modules. I've got lots of NiMH AA batteries and 18650s that I've pulled from laptop batteries. I could even use an exterior power box connected to that bus system to power the modules. Then I'd never have to buy batteries again.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-07-2019, 01:23 AM
All I know is, sunset on July 4th is NOT the time you want to find out your batteries don't have enough juice to light your show...

Icooclast
04-07-2019, 01:38 AM
i remember a bit on one of the Cobra system demo vids saying not to use generic/cheap batteries, because Cobra Systems have not been tested with generic/cheap batteries, so i wonder if it's the same with other firing systems?

as far as changing batteries. i'd change 'em out every time you're doing a medium to big show