PDA

View Full Version : 5" rack build

White Skies
06-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Due to bad planning on my part and bad communication on a distributors part I am in a predicament of having to build my 5" racks prior to having the tubes. So with that being said I'm looking for some dimensions for 5" wood racks. They are fiberglass tubes with 31.5" interior length. I'll be picking up the tubes the day of my show (4 1/2 hour drive one way) so I want to be able to have them built and ready to go. I'm getting 24 tubes, so was thinking 6 in a rack.

Thanks

cherrybomb1
06-05-2018, 09:29 PM
If you know the height and the bottom dimension of the tube I would just use a math compass and make a template of the base of the tube and go from there.

Mattp
06-05-2018, 09:46 PM
Never made a rack for 5" myself.. but i would think its 2x6 for bottom and sides.. 3/4 pine or plywood for side supports.. a piece of 3/4 in between each one

So your at 36" for bottom plate
2- 30" for sides
Then 4- 39" pieces of 3/4 pine or ply for front amd back supports.. then your 3/4 blocks for in between each one
is definitely tough to do it and NEED it to work without having them to test fit.. good luck with that!!! If you dont mind me asking .. why not find another supplier.. may cost a bit morefor shipping but pyroboom can probably get em to ya in 3 days

White Skies
06-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all that. My biggest concern is the thickness of the fiberglass. It's not going to be a true 5" outer. I've got 4" and 6" racks I've built my self so I could go with a happy medium and leave them a little long and shim up any slack if need be. Also i just don't like paying shipping when I'm going to be able to pick them up when I go get my product but I'll do some comparison online and consider it. The reward may be worth a few extra bucks. The group I was originally going to get them from, approx 2 hours away from me (where I've gotten my 2.5", 4", and 6" guns) always seems like I'm a nuisance since I'm a small personal backyard guy and not spending 20k on my shows. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth after getting the run around multiple times.. So I'm starting to be pretty picky with where I shop.

djsmurf
06-05-2018, 10:47 PM
Do you have an option to bury or brace them? Building racks with out guns is asking for a bad fit and waste of time.

Mattp
06-06-2018, 12:31 AM
Totally understand that!! Shipping will definitely be a factor.. but sometimes convience and piece of mind is worth it.. ! I was thinking about mentioning that too.. can get some 5 gallon buckets fill it with sand around the tube.. but 24 of them is alot .. smurf has a good point even knowing the dimensions.. murphys law kicks in.. def good to have them there when building to test fit.. im sure someone on here could chime in with some fiberglass dimensions

White Skies
06-06-2018, 05:33 AM
I could bury them if need be. Like you said I figured someone on here would have a pretty good idea on the outer size. Of course they won't all be exact but somewhat close. I'd rather rebuild a rack after the show for a couple not fitting and bury those few that don't fit than bury all 24. With that being said if I built them and no tubes fit I'd be a little sour.. ��

joewad
06-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Vendor should be able to provide the O.D. of your guns., then add a heavy quarter inch "slop". When I made mine that's what I did with the actual dimensions and yes, they were fiberglass. You'll have to "rip" a 2 by 6 a bit though with a table saw.

RalphieJ
06-06-2018, 07:07 PM
"........ can get some 5 gallon buckets fill it with sand around the tube.. " When this method is used be sure to add a minimum 1/2" piece of plywood under the gun to prevent punching out the bottom of the bucket. I learned this the hard way........

Kenny East
06-07-2018, 04:20 AM
My green 5" ace pyro fiberglass tubes measure. ..5 1/2 inches across the bottom of the tube... Could always make a rack slightly larger... And have a bag of shims handy, though not needed... Make the top rail and bottom rail a little taller and the should be fine..my tubes are 31 1/2 inches long. Make sure the muzzle has some clearance at the top of the rack.... Allow for the reinforcement of the muzzle.. Adds about 1/8 inch to each side at the muzzle

White Skies
06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
My green 5" ace pyro fiberglass tubes measure. ..5 1/2 inches across the bottom of the tube... Could always make a rack slightly larger... And have a bag of shims handy, though not needed... Make the top rail and bottom rail a little taller and the should be fine..my tubes are 31 1/2 inches long. Make sure the muzzle has some clearance at the top of the rack.... Allow for the reinforcement of the muzzle.. Adds about 1/8 inch to each side at the muzzle

Thanks. Going to start building this weekend

Mattp
06-07-2018, 11:02 PM
"........ can get some 5 gallon buckets fill it with sand around the tube.. " When this method is used be sure to add a minimum 1/2" piece of plywood under the gun to prevent punching out the bottom of the bucket. I learned this the hard way........

WOW!! You just made me realize that happened to me also.. never realized what had happend though.. way back before i knew any better.. i had 3- 3" pvc tubes in one 5 gal bucket with sand.. lol.. first one went off and bottom bounced right out.. made the other two shift.. but luckily.still went mostly up.. when we checked it out.. the bottom was broken.. amazing All the stupidly dangerous shit i used to do on a residential street corner.. lol .. shootimg out of 3 and 4" pvc.. or steel

Kenny East
06-08-2018, 02:00 AM
Thanks. Going to start building this weekend

No problem, you lucked out on the fact that I happened to have a few on hand for a friend. Usually store them an hour away in my rack shack.