PDA

View Full Version : E firing candle barrage

Stormcrow
06-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Any advice on e firing candle barrage from SO76. They are basically a large Roman candle. Looking for advice before I dig into one.

Jay_
06-03-2018, 08:15 PM
I’m going to test a couple. They have the slurry at the top like the strobes do, so we should just be able to pull back the paper and tape an mjg or an ematch to them.

Mtnviewpyro has a video of him shooting off a case all at once. Maybe he will let us in on his method.

MtnViewPyro
06-03-2018, 11:11 PM
Unfortunately, I didn’t use MJG on them last year. Wish I did. If they have that slurry, should be easy.

Kenny East
06-04-2018, 03:10 AM
There's always the powder method, small amount of bp/bp substitute on the top.. Then add ematch and tape in place. Sticky match is also great for igniting candles. Seen a show last week that had quick match attached to a fan of candle barrages, it was one of the first parts of the show... Worked well, all candles started shooting at the same time. Didn't end together though.

MtnViewPyro
06-04-2018, 07:14 AM
I used quick fuse and a talon. They didn’t start at the same time but that was due to my lack of knowledge. If I did it again with fuse, I would run strands of quick fuse to each start point instead of across the rack. Oddly enough, they pretty much ended at the same time lol. Anyways, here’s the video.

https://youtu.be/waYUCV8_vtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waYUCV8_vtc&feature=youtu.be

CMiller
06-04-2018, 09:37 AM
I used quick fuse and a talon. They didn’t start at the same time but that was due to my lack of knowledge. If I did it again with fuse, I would run strands of quick fuse to each start point instead of across the rack. Oddly enough, they pretty much ended at the same time lol. Anyways, here’s the video.

https://youtu.be/waYUCV8_vtc

What did you use for a rack set up, I'm planning on three position, red, white and blue fans.

MtnViewPyro
06-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Just built one wooden rack. Last year, I only had 12 channels so I could only do one hit to save channels and didn’t use scab.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2018, 04:36 PM
You beat me to it Stormcrow!! I have 3 cases of these that I'll be using for the first time. I was just planning on using talons to fire them off. My concern is the red cone base that supposed to be planted in the ground. For those that have used these before... How do you secure them? Is the red cone thing sturdy enough to hold it in place? Or do you stake them down like a regular cake?

The last thing I need is one of those falling over towards the crowd.

Jay_
06-04-2018, 05:16 PM
This is my crusty 7 candle rack that I built last year. I used a 2.5" hole saw to cut the top strap, and I don't know if you can see it in the pic or not...but I drilled some small pilot holes on the bottom strap to stake them in to get the angles I wanted. It worked really good, but ill have to modify it or build another one for this year.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3091&stc=1

PyroJoeNEPA
06-04-2018, 05:42 PM
You beat me to it Stormcrow!! I have 3 cases of these that I'll be using for the first time. I was just planning on using talons to fire them off. My concern is the red cone base that supposed to be planted in the ground. For those that have used these before... How do you secure them? Is the red cone thing sturdy enough to hold it in place? Or do you stake them down like a regular cake?

You can use a wooden stake for each candle with migic tape or zip ties to fasten them. The individual stakes allow you to set any angle you like. I do this with the Bigs Neon Tracers [196 shot] and they look awesome. Don't depend on the plastic point on the bottom--they aren't very sturdy--a simple twist will take them off. I take the paper off of the tops & put a few strands of black match across the tops of the individual candles in the bigger tube then place the ematch on top & put a piece of magic tape over the top. I have a friend that does not [legally] have access to quick match--I told him to cut up a couple of the magic whips into small pieces & put that in there. It worked great. You can also use a small wad of the paper fast fuse.
Using one stake you can do a single candle at any angle, or a pair in a "V" or three in a \|/ configuration.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Thanks Joe! Excellent info as always. That red cap didn't impress me as being sufficient to hold these things up. I'm going to place 36 of these evenly spaced across my entire show line. 12 red, 12 white, 12 blue. I've been wanting to do a "wall" of R/W/B for a while now. Hopefully this does the trick. Just need to make sure they A. light, and B. don't fall over! Lol.

CMiller
06-04-2018, 08:10 PM

Miranda from Spirit of 76 sent me a picture of the racks they used, simple design, my son is an IT guy, I'm going to have him help me post the picture tomorrow.

MontanaMike
06-04-2018, 09:34 PM
We have 10 of Pyroboom's roman candle racks and we'll be firing 180 of Phantom's "Flashing Thunder" candles. Three six-packs per rack. I'm still mentally playing with ideas on how to set them up and wire them. I'm leaning toward doing about third of them simultaneously at first, then following up with the other two thirds simultaneously. It should be pretty amazing....and noisy!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2018, 10:06 PM
Miranda from Spirit of 76 sent me a picture of the racks they used, simple design, my son is an IT guy, I'm going to have him help me post the picture tomorrow.

Thanks CMiller! The more ideas the merrier. :cool:

Stormcrow
06-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Any update from pyros on e firing these?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-17-2018, 07:37 AM
I've got a boatload of flame pots and strobes from SO76 in my show this year. Unfortunately they don't come with e-match ports. So following suggestions from a few of the good people on here, I did some testing last night. I replaced the visco fuse on a 1 second flame pot and a red strobe with firewire initiators. Worked like a champ!! here's how it went...

https://youtu.be/o0lZ2Fy41v4

Pyro Paul
06-17-2018, 07:41 AM
I've got a boatload of flame pots and strobes from SO76 in my show this year. Unfortunately they don't come with e-match ports. So following suggestions from a few of the good people on here, I did some testing last night. I replaced the visco fuse on a 1 second flame pot and a red strobe with firewire initiators. Worked like a champ!! here's how it went...

https://youtu.be/o0lZ2Fy41v4

Just a quick question Rick, is there any delay or is it pretty much instantaneous ignition?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-17-2018, 07:50 AM
Just a quick question Rick, is there any delay or is it pretty much instantaneous ignition?

Instant ignition Paul!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Pyro Paul
06-17-2018, 08:05 AM
Thanks Rick, I too have a bunch of 1.4 pro effects that I'm planning on using in my fireworks show/pyromusical this year. It's my first year to finally purchase AP and I've been wondering how to script the slices, cakes and effects. I wasn't sure if there was a minor delay or instant ignition to hit the beat/note in the music. I'm planning 13 positions with 8 positions dedicated to the AP items. I decided to go with Tong Po pyro's rack design for the flames, strobes, mines and gerbs https://youtu.be/_zGI-JVhxvk. Are you just staking and taping/zip tying all your devices this year?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Thanks Rick, I too have a bunch of 1.4 pro effects that I'm planning on using in my fireworks show/pyromusical this year. It's my first year to finally purchase AP and I've been wondering how to script the slices, cakes and effects. I wasn't sure if there was a minor delay or instant ignition to hit the beat/note in the music. I'm planning 13 positions with 8 positions dedicated to the AP items. I decided to go with Tong Po pyro's rack design for the flames, strobes, mines and gerbs https://youtu.be/_zGI-JVhxvk. Are you just staking and taping/zip tying all your devices this year?

I am staking and taping. I’m done with the boards and glue. Staking gives me much more flexibility in my design. As for the AP effects... Anything that takes an ematch or initiator is going to ignite instantly. So I wouldn’t add any pre-fire time in your script for those items. I’ve got some 1 sec flame pots that are going off with fan slices to simulate an explosion. That’s why I had to replace the visco on the flame pots. I need it to fire immediately along with the fan. As for my comets and strobes... those are getting taped to sticks and stuck in the ground. I attempted to make some comet racks and the only thing I managed to do is piss myself off. So I’m going to take the path of least resistance with those. I have 9 stations where I’m going to have fan slices and flame pots. I was going to try and make some racks to hold the fans, but I think I’m just going to sandwich them together and stake them down too. Maybe next January when it cools down again I’ll try and build some racks again. It’s just too damn hot out there now.

This weekend I was able to get my mortar finale all fused up!! Still lots to do. We’re getting there though.

joed2323
06-18-2018, 11:42 AM
I am staking and taping. I’m done with the boards and glue. Staking gives me much more flexibility in my design. As for the AP effects... Anything that takes an ematch or initiator is going to ignite instantly. So I wouldn’t add any pre-fire time in your script for those items. I’ve got some 1 sec flame pots that are going off with fan slices to simulate an explosion. That’s why I had to replace the visco on the flame pots. I need it to fire immediately along with the fan. As for my comets and strobes... those are getting taped to sticks and stuck in the ground. I attempted to make some comet racks and the only thing I managed to do is piss myself off. So I’m going to take the path of least resistance with those. I have 9 stations where I’m going to have fan slices and flame pots. I was going to try and make some racks to hold the fans, but I think I’m just going to sandwich them together and stake them down too. Maybe next January when it cools down again I’ll try and build some racks again. It’s just too damn hot out there now.

This weekend I was able to get my mortar finale all fused up!! Still lots to do. We’re getting there though.

So you don't use any prefire time in your script??? Do you shoot 62mm or anything like that? I'm pretty sure it takes 62mm somewhere around 2.5-2.8 sec from lift to break.

I guess I'm just curious if you have any cakes etc that are tightly scripted? Curious as to why you don't prefire anything. Hopefully I miss understood

Pyro Paul
06-18-2018, 07:59 PM
I know what you mean about rack building being frustrating... lol

PYRODAN
06-18-2018, 11:19 PM
311731183115 3116
I whipped these two small ones up tonight out of scrap I had laying around. And I'm no carpenter!

Pyro Paul
06-18-2018, 11:26 PM
Nice racks PyroDan!! you may not be a carpenter but you sure fake it well :P

Rick_In_Tampa
06-18-2018, 11:37 PM
311731183115 3116
I whipped these two small ones up tonight out of scrap I had laying around. And I'm no carpenter!

Lol... I hate you....

PYRODAN
06-18-2018, 11:38 PM
Thanks Pyro Paul! The rack I put those 2 in, I made to hold 18 shot Dominator fans last year. Since I am not using them this year, I repurposed to save some time. Just attached with some screws so I can remove them later.

PYRODAN
06-18-2018, 11:43 PM
Lol... I hate you.... Oh no! I have been triggered! Must retreat to my safe space!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-18-2018, 11:46 PM
So you don't use any prefire time in your script??? Do you shoot 62mm or anything like that? I'm pretty sure it takes 62mm somewhere around 2.5-2.8 sec from lift to break.

I guess I'm just curious if you have any cakes etc that are tightly scripted? Curious as to why you don't prefire anything. Hopefully I miss understood

I think I understand what you're asking now. You're factoring in the time between igniting the effect to the point it breaks in the air, yes? Yeah... I'm not that refined yet. The pre-fire time I was worried about was the time between the talon lighting the visco, to the effect actually firing. Totally different animal. The effects I'm using (fans, comets, flame pots) all "break" immediately at ignition. So if I can replace the visco with an initiator, I don't need to use any pre-fire time in my script. I hope that makes sense.

With regard to the cakes and factoring in the lift time to break... I've got enough overlap between my cakes that I don't worry about the lift time. So I don't use any pre-fire time for cakes either.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-18-2018, 11:47 PM
Oh no! I have been triggered! Must retreat to my safe space!

Lol... Grab a puppy and some play doh! lol...

Pyro Paul
06-18-2018, 11:48 PM
adapt, improvise, overcome...

Rick_In_Tampa
06-18-2018, 11:50 PM
adapt, improvise, overcome...

Have debit card, will travel.