PDA

View Full Version : Mortar vs. shell size

Mattp
05-30-2018, 07:16 AM
I had a strange box of excals yesterday... each of the 4 six packs in it were packaged differently.. including only 1 of them having the new plastic caps .. weird, but no big deal.. so i start working on a rack with them.. and they seem way too loose in the tube.. maybe im overthinking this.. my brain has been thinking pyro 24/7 since January... but they are about 1/4" smaller than the tube.. and usually they have a little bit of snugness.. so does anyone know.. is there a formula or a rule of thumb when it comes to how much smaller can the shell be than the tube and still get the desired height???
These are dr11 tubes.. but i also tried it in the excal tubes and same thing.. im sure its fine.. but i just feel they're looser than usual

RalphieJ
05-30-2018, 08:40 AM
I had a strange box of excals yesterday... each of the 4 six packs in it were packaged differently.. including only 1 of them having the new plastic caps .. weird, but no big deal.. so i start working on a rack with them.. and they seem way too loose in the tube.. maybe im overthinking this.. my brain has been thinking pyro 24/7 since January... but they are about 1/4" smaller than the tube.. and usually they have a little bit of snugness.. so does anyone know.. is there a formula or a rule of thumb when it comes to how much smaller can the shell be than the tube and still get the desired height???
These are dr11 tubes.. but i also tried it in the excal tubes and same thing.. im sure its fine.. but i just feel they're looser than usual

I've never passed up any excuse to "test" anything, anytime LOL. Put a couple up and see how they work!

Mattp
05-30-2018, 10:19 AM
HAHA.. yes!!! . I was thinking the same thing.. but where i live.. i cannot have a shell break low.. itll hit 4 different people's houses.. my neighbors are cool and all.. and like that im the neighborhood pyro.. but that can quickly change with one extra low break.. LOL