View Full Version : MJG Twist Lock FireWire Iniatiators

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2018, 06:20 PM
So I’m trying to use the twist lock initiators I bought from SPIRIT OF 76 and the things don’t fit in the port. The shroud on the initiator and the port seem to be the same size. The port in the cake is so short, I can barely get my fingers on it in the first place. One I already ripped off the match! I sliced the side of the cake to gain better access, but it’s not working. There’s no way to get the initiator down far enough to twist lock it in place.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Am I missing something?!?!

cduesman
05-28-2018, 07:42 PM
I haven't seen/used the new twist lock initiators yet. Do you have a picture showing them not fitting?

I assume the port is a Twist-lock port (and not a normal e-match port).

They should look something like this:

http://pyro.duesman.net/_/rsrc/1464055145980/home/misc/vulcan/vulcan_twist_lock.png

or

http://pyro.duesman.net/_/rsrc/1464055575160/home/misc/vulcan/vulcan_bottom_port.png

Chris

PTFan
05-28-2018, 08:38 PM
Make sure your not trying to go from a twist port to an Eport? What cake or item are you plugging into?

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Here is a picture of the twist lock FireWire init. and the e-port I was trying to connect it to (before I ripped it out of the cake).

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3049&stc=1

Not sure how well you can tell from this picture but when you insert it, it won’t go into the lower section . It seems to be the same size as the twist lock piece.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3050&stc=1

They fit the comets perfectly but not these cakes. I tried them on a different box of cakes and they don’t fit those either. Very strange.

The cakes I was trying to match were the GM438 R/W/B Peony.

And why is the damn leader so short!! Seems to me they could make it a few inches longer so you can actually grab hold of it. Sheesh...

PYRODAN
05-28-2018, 10:26 PM
Have not used the SO76 stuff so I'm no help. Hope you get it figured out.

Deanbc
05-28-2018, 10:55 PM
Email Daniel Haines at SO76. He is the Pro Product guy. Has helped me on a few things. Will a regular FireWire Iniatiator fit into the port?

cduesman
05-28-2018, 11:21 PM
One would have hoped all twist-lock's would be the same size/interchangeable. But perhaps that's not the case?

I notice in the Spirit of 76 catalog, they list the "GM438 R/W/B Peony" as having "Visco & E-Port" not "Visco & T-Lock".

It's possible that the twist-lock only fits the Vulcan manufactured items that explicitly say "T-Lock".

Chris

Deanbc
05-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Adding to what cduesman says, if you look at the T-Lock description on the website, it lists what items they are compatible with and GM438 is not one of them.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2018, 11:30 PM
Email Daniel Haines at SO76. He is the Pro Product guy. Has helped me on a few things. Will a regular FireWire Iniatiator fit into the port?

Thanks for that info Dean. I'll give him a shout. I didn't try a regular initiator. I probably should have but I didn't. I just cut the visco off and poked and matched it like a normal cake.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2018, 11:42 PM
One would have hoped all twist-lock's would be the same size/interchangeable. But perhaps that's not the case?

I notice in the Spirit of 76 catalog, they list the "GM438 R/W/B Peony" as having "Visco & E-Port" not "Visco & T-Lock".

It's possible that the twist-lock only fits the Vulcan manufactured items that explicitly say "T-Lock".

Chris

Great point. It does say 'Eport" and not "T-lock." But every other product labeled with "Eport" has a sticker on the outside showing you the location of the port. Then when you cut into the side of the cake you find the plastic plug sticking into the side of the tube. That's what I was expecting to see. So it surprised me to find no Eport on the outside and the twist-lock connector on the inside.

Clearly there's something I'm missing here, so I'm going to have to call those bubba's a find out what's going on.

Mattp
05-28-2018, 11:54 PM
I just used regular initiators on all of them.. they fit right in.. and i taped em up.. i noticed that some were the twist lock ports and others were regular.. but i didnt get the twist lock initiators

Rick_In_Tampa
05-29-2018, 12:03 AM
I've still got 30+ cases to match. If I come across this issue again I think I'll try to use a regular initiator and tape it together. IF I can get my fingers close enough to get tape around it. If not I'll poke the visco port again.

Mattp
05-29-2018, 12:11 AM
Just looked at their website.. only difference in twistlocks initiators seems to be the wire length. this isnt your first rodeo either.. im curious if they made a few batches screwed up in the factory.. because it really doesnt make sense.. why it would fit some and not another .. unless its not a twist port( but from the photo sure looks like one) and the locking tab is whats in the way

Mattp
05-29-2018, 12:17 AM
I've still got 30+ cases to match. If I come across this issue again I think I'll try to use a regular initiator and tape it together. IF I can get my fingers close enough to get tape around it. If not I'll poke the visco port again.

On the slices the port has those little white caps over it.. i actually put the initiator in. Put the wire where the twist lock tab would go.. and put the white cap back on.. then taped over that.. hope thats ok to do

Stormcrow
05-29-2018, 06:58 AM
On the slices the port has those little white caps over it.. i actually put the initiator in. Put the wire where the twist lock tab would go.. and put the white cap back on.. then taped over that.. hope thats ok to do
I did the same thing without placing the cap back on. I like that idea.

Deanbc
05-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Let’s us know what you find out.

cptnding
05-29-2018, 08:54 PM

That's exactly how I match them as well except I don't tape over it. The cap holds it in very well. I do tape the wire to the side of the item for a stress relief in case it get's pulled by accident though.

Mattp
05-29-2018, 11:10 PM
That's exactly how I match them as well except I don't tape over it. The cap holds it in very well. I do tape the wire to the side of the item for a stress relief in case it get's pulled by accident though.

Great.. i was a little worried it may cause to much back pressure.. and cause that first shot to blow out

Bad Alibi Scott
05-30-2018, 01:44 AM
Just curious, is the notch meant to be used for a strain relief knot? Not sure but I think I have seen this done elsewhere inserting just the ematch tip and then looping through the notch.

cptnding
05-30-2018, 02:31 AM
Just curious, is the notch meant to be used for a strain relief knot? Not sure but I think I have seen this done elsewhere inserting just the ematch tip and then looping through the notch.

Yes but just capping it is fast and easy. Sometimes its a real bitch to get the wire down and around the notch. Depends on the item I guess

Rick_In_Tampa
05-30-2018, 03:24 PM
I've got my sales guy at SO76 working with their Pro-line guy to get me an answer. I'll post it as soon as it arrives.

Mattp
06-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Any luck with those yet rick?? Im curious.. and im sure you need to get that going too!!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2018, 09:58 PM
Any luck with those yet rick?? Im curious.. and im sure you need to get that going too!!

As a matter of fact, no! He never got back to me. I'm going to have to give him a call to find out what's going on. Thanks for the reminder!

I've been poking and matching cakes all weekend. I think I've got maybe 10 cases to go. Then I get to start matching the fans and comets. I feel like I'm sooooo far behind!

Mattp
06-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Ahhh.. actually we have exactly one month.. is definitely alot to do.. but still llenty of time.. i say that but you probably have quadruple the product i do.. lol

Rick_In_Tampa
06-05-2018, 04:51 PM
I'm moving from 2nd to 3rd shift starting Monday, so I'll have lots of time on the weekends to work on my show while everyone is sleeping. I'll get there... One way or another. Lol...

PYRODAN
06-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Any word back yet Rick?

James76
06-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Hey Guys,

GM438 is NOT compatible with the twist lock. As Chris mentioned, it is not listed as twist lock compatible. That port does look similar, which it shouldn't. We are not sure why the factory chose to use that type of port, but we are going to have them change it for next year so there is no confusion.

We really do appreciate feedback like this so we can continue to improve the line. We test almost every batch that comes through, but it is helpful to hear from people outside the company to understand how they are using our products and what issues arise. Thanks!

Mattp
06-11-2018, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the info.. its good to know..so they are compatable with any other initiator.?? Jus tnot the twist lock??

Rick_In_Tampa
06-12-2018, 12:17 AM
Thanks James. I heard back from my sales guy (Ben) this weekend and he told me it looks like the manufacturer made a mistake with those cakes and installed the wrong port.

I also had an issue with the GM536 90s Z Multicolor Falling Leaves. The twist lock port was covered with sticky match. I had to remove it to get to the port to install the initiator. In doing so I wasn't sure if I compromised the firing mechanism (for lack of a better term). So I decided to match two of the four cakes through the visco connection instead. I don't want any black sky during my show! With any luck, all 4 will fire on cue. Crossing fingers.