PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Plugs

displayfireworks1
05-27-2018, 11:14 PM
Short clip from my visit to Casabella Pyrotechnics. I am posting it for people that want to make their own wooden plugs. I should say I am posting it so you just buy the plugs instead of trying to make them. . LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb8yjXWr-Y8

Mattp
05-28-2018, 12:08 AM
Yes!!! After making about 4-5 myself. (Which came out fine).. i still realized it was wayyy easier and well worth it to just buy em!!!

jamisonlm3
05-28-2018, 02:22 AM
They're stronger because the plugs are in the mortar with the endgrain up. The main problem I think they have is shrinking and splitting. I've seen some that were in pretty bad shape, but worked fine. Smaller plugs can be made fairly easy with the right equipment, mainly a drill press and hole saw as we see with dr11 mortars. I'm not surprised if larger plugs have to be turned. I can't imagine they turn them down indiviually either, but as a log and then cut them. Did you get any video of them making some?

Kenny East
05-28-2018, 02:43 AM
I've never tried making any plugs that large due to the glue up and lathe turned part... Made a base ball bar out of glued up pieces of ash, it exploded while I was turning it on the lathe. I usually make plugs for 3" or smaller, usually for cardboard tubes. Used for one shots or Roman candles