PDA

View Full Version : Audience distance?

Jay_
05-27-2018, 10:59 AM
Ok I知 sure that this has been discussed many times on here, however my search is not yielding the answer that I知 looking for.

For best results, how far back do I need to have my audience from my fireworks?

My show is all 500g cakes, mortars, comets, slices, ect.. I知 not planning on having any ground effects this year.

In the last few years I have always felt like I was too close, and not getting the best view due to breaking my neck when the shells go off.

Space is not a concern, as I will run out of signal on firing system before I run out of room.

What is your recommendation?

joed2323
05-27-2018, 05:34 PM
If space is not a concern keep your audience 300' back and you will be more then safe.

Besides depending on how many stations you are shooting from, further back looks better especially if you have say 3 stations or more.

Jay_
05-27-2018, 10:37 PM
Thanks! I tried 300’ today and it was very good! It was daylight outside, but I still sent a few canister shells, ball shells, and 1 62mm just to get a feel for it.

I like 300’ a lot. It’s also up a hill a little bit so the show will look even higher.

Mattp
05-28-2018, 12:05 AM
Oh for sure.. for viewing that is definitely a good distance. And well outside the minimum safety zone for the audience.. i pretty much have the 175-200 feet.. which is good.. but i too feel its still a little close to really take it all in.. but still waaayyy better then when i used to do it in the street..and stand 50' away.. lol..

matandch
05-28-2018, 05:14 AM
Minimum distance for 1.4 g show 210 ft.

Mattp
05-28-2018, 08:39 AM
I could be wrong... but I thought thats where a 3" show would start at.. pretty sure the nfpa minimum is 70ft per inch radius of the largest shell used.. which is roughly 150' for a 1.75 show.. and i think it can actually be a little less if theyre angled away from audience

matandch
05-28-2018, 03:10 PM
The default minimum even for 1.4g is that of an assumed minimum of a 3 inch shell. ie. 210 ft. Angling does allow for shortening the distance.

This is the rule I used when I was safety director of The Crackerjacks.

Mattp
05-28-2018, 11:46 PM
The default minimum even for 1.4g is that of an assumed minimum of a 3 inch shell. ie. 210 ft. Angling does allow for shortening the distance.

This is the rule I used when I was safety director of The Crackerjacks.

Then You would definitely know better than me... but in my mind it still doesnt make sense. if your assuming a minimum of a 3" shell.. your not talking about a 1.4g show anymore .. and on the nfa chart.. it actualy shows <3"@140' .(unless im looking at an outdated chart).. but can never be to safe..and if you have the room.. then absolutely.. more is better.. sounds like from jays question this is no concern for him anyway

Jay_
05-29-2018, 02:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies and good info shared!

I think I will go with the 300'.

I am doing a 3 station show.

Center: Most slices, mine racks, a few cakes, and an emergency black sky mortar rack.

L&R: Sweeping slices, Cakes, ball shells, and 60 gram cans. Probably going to be spaced 60' apart going off of what I have read about spacing on here. The bigger cakes like the 2" pro stuff and the 3" (2.25") nine shots will be spaced a little wider.

Will have 6 racks of 62mm shells as well and I plan to have them in 3 different stations. Probably will space them at least 75' apart if not a little more