View Full Version : question(s) about transporting 1.4G fireworks

Icooclast
05-27-2018, 02:27 AM
how do you guys who order a lot get them if you have to go and pick them up? do you use a box truck? because i heard something about not needing a particular license to drive it and the sticker on it UNLESS it has air breaks, and if it doesn't, then it's ok. but not sure. if anyone knows; please give me some info

Mattp
05-27-2018, 03:21 AM
Pretty sure 1.4g are not regulated by the DOT.. well at least they dont require any special permits to transport.. so yes you can transport them in whatever size vehicle you need.. i dont order more than will fit in my van(not yet anyway).. but pretty sure alot of the guys with BIG orders use trailers.. and if you have a truck with air brakes then you need a CDL to drive it. But alot of people with the orders that big.. also just get it shipped

joed2323
05-27-2018, 09:22 AM
Use a 16' enclosed trailer. Been using it for years. Works great.

I believe once you hit a certain weight, 1000 pounds you should have your placards on your trailer. But I've also heard if your not in commerce you do not need placards.

Don't quote me on that, one of the guys who sells will have to chime in with an official correct answer

NWA_Fireworks
05-27-2018, 09:36 AM
First of all, I am not a lawyer, and you should verify local, state, and federal laws. That being said, 1.4g is indeed regulated by the DOT, and my understanding is that the DOT regulations apply only if the fireworks are to be used “in commerce.” So if you intend to sell the fireworks or use them in a show for which you will somehow be compensated (not necessarily in the form of money), then all DOT requirements must be met (you’ll need a CDL, and you’ll need a Hazmat endorsement if transporting over 1,000 lbs.). If the fireworks are intended for your own personal use, the regulations don’t apply.

Some states (perhaps New York?) may also have regulations on the vehicle or equipment used to transport the fireworks.

So if you get stopped by a police officer while transporting fireworks, and you don’t have a CDL, hazmat endorsement, and bill of lading, be prepared to have a reasonable answer as to why you are transporting so many fireworks, should the officer ask what’s in your trailer or what’s in the boxes. I could see how a non-Pyro might have trouble understanding why one person would need so many fireworks for “personal use,” so you could meet some resistance in your explanation. You folks that do the large group buys might have an easier time explaining the large quantity of “personal use” fireworks.

And of course, if you are transporting fireworks, always give triple thought to safety before you start driving. Switch into defensive driving mode before you get behind the wheel. Don’t tailgate, speed, or rush in general. And especially - mentally prepare yourself to let the transgressions of other drivers slide. The last thing you want when carrying all those explosives is to get pulled into a road rage incident.

CMiller
05-27-2018, 10:31 AM
I use, depending on how big the order is, different size enclosed snowmobile/UTV trailers. No one can see what's in them. Just make sure you obey all the traffic laws, your trailer is inspected, registered and all the lights work. If you get stopped, you don't have to let them go thru your vehicle or trailer, without probable cause. If they threaten to bring in a dog, let them, 99% of all police dogs are drug dogs.

Wholesale Fireworks
05-27-2018, 12:54 PM
As long as your order is under 1000 lbs you have nothing to worry about. You can transport up to 1000 lbs of product without placards. Any load over 1000 lbs technically requires that your vehicle or trailer have 1.4 placards. Whoever you are purchasing from should be able to give you a weight and cubic feet of your wholesale order so you know exactly how much room you will need to transport the order. Every wholesale order we process will give you the total weight and cubes of the order so there is no guesswork in how to transport.
Good luck and have a great celebration

joed2323
05-27-2018, 05:38 PM
I've never seen anyone get pulled into a scale and have their trailer weighted to verify if you are at or under 1000 pound mark.

That being said, don't drive like a moron. Drive like you have more then 1000 pounds of fireworks in the back of your trailer and you will be safe. . .

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2018, 11:15 PM
I had 1500lbs in 55 cases this year and I got them all in my wife's Ford F350 12 passenger van. I drove them home from my buddy's house about an hour away where we had everything delivered. I didn't have any placards and there were no issues getting them home.

Icooclast
05-29-2018, 12:12 AM
thanks, everyone. i really appreciate the info

cptnding
05-29-2018, 09:26 PM
I had 1500lbs in 55 cases this year and I got them all in my wife's Ford F350 12 passenger van. I drove them home from my buddy's house about an hour away where we had everything delivered. I didn't have any placards and there were no issues getting them home.

I've got one of those F350 vans with 3 of the 4 bench seats removed as well Rick. That thing can haul a LOT of pyro!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-30-2018, 03:30 PM
I've got one of those F350 vans with 3 of the 4 bench seats removed as well Rick. That thing can haul a LOT of pyro!

Absolutely!! That thing is a beast. I was surprised I got everything into it this year.

Just one word of advice for anyone who buys the cakes called "Jail Bait." You might not want to put those on top against the windows like I did last year. Not a good look from the outside.