PDA

View Full Version : Import Firing System - cover modules?

jbened02
05-23-2018, 10:34 AM
This is my first year using a firing system, starting with an import system using six modules. While they won’t be directly next to the cakes and mortars, I’m assuming it’s probably a good idea to cover them. Anyone have any good tips on what to use?

nayslayer
05-23-2018, 11:02 AM
This is my first year with them as well. I'm not sure if anything is needed if weather is ok.

Mattp
05-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Ive never done this myself.. i just put them on the ground.. i also have a cheaper import system.. . i know they sell nice "pelican case" they are costly.. but will protect against pretty much anything.. but i always thought a cheap Weatherproof alternative would be tupperware containers with a hole just for the wires to go through.. will at least keep them dry.. i think people cover them with plywood too

MtnViewPyro
05-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Someone on here has a picture of how they cover them and it’s a really good idea. Hopefully, they jump on. I use the cheap import as well. This year I’m going to zip tie them to pegboard. Get them off the ground, and if it starts to rain, easily cover them.

nayslayer
05-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Could probably just use a glad tupperware container with a slot, or hole for antenna. Use like birthday cake cover.

jbened02
05-23-2018, 02:37 PM
I’m not so much worried about rain as I am fallout from cakes and mortars going off nearby. Like others have mentioned there probably isn’t too much too worry about but just thought I would try to keep as much debris as possible off them. I may just build a simple 3-sided wooden box on each board for them to sit in - front would be open for wires.

Kenny East
05-23-2018, 02:56 PM
I've got many of my happiness modules in water proof tech boxes. The polycarbonate ones from wal*mart.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3039&stc=1

Zippster
05-23-2018, 02:56 PM
First year I used mine, I didnt cover them with anything. They all ended up soaking wet with dew and loaded with clay and other debris. After that, I simply put them in a zip lock baggie and works great, granted none of them are not right on top of the cakes so no issue with fire or melting.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Not sure what you invested in your system, but to me, it doesn't make sense to invest a ton in pelican cases or even Tupperware containers to protect a cheap Chinese firing system.

If you're concerned about fallout burning them up or damaging them, cover them in foil when you're done wiring them. If you're concerned about them getting wet, cover them in foil and then put them in a zip lock freezer bag. Cheap, simple, effective.

jamisonlm3
05-23-2018, 05:46 PM
You can buy rubber roofing. That's what a guy I know uses to cover his modules. They were cut into 1x1 or so sheets. It worked well to keep all the dirt, grit and any other debris off and out of the modules.

ChrisTurner
05-23-2018, 07:29 PM
I like my cobra mods to be seasoned. Lol

joewad
05-23-2018, 07:38 PM
If you are basically, only worried about fallout and you don't want to spend a bunch, zip lock bags large enough to cover module then cut a slit for your antennae.

Mattp
05-23-2018, 10:02 PM
I've got many of my happiness modules in water proof tech boxes. The polycarbonate ones from wal*mart.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3039&stc=1

Wow kenny.. those are really nice.. so you relocated the antenna.. and those wing nuts are for the initiators to be wired to?? Thats alot of work.. but really cool

Kenny East
05-24-2018, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I did run lead wires out to the wing nuts around the outside. As well as relocating and replacing the antennas... Went from the 12" to 24" antennas. I've got 6 modules set up like this, and a few that are in larger cases. The larger cases have 3 of the 4 cue modules in each. Each large case cover a while district on my control desk.

The larger cue count was what I was waiting for from cobra, though I'm probably not gonna get one until black friday. Like the looks of the 36M and 72M.

Rocketshooter
05-24-2018, 10:16 AM
First year I used mine, I didnt cover them with anything. They all ended up soaking wet with dew and loaded with clay and other debris. After that, I simply put them in a zip lock baggie and works great, granted none of them are not right on top of the cakes so no issue with fire or melting.

Exactly what I did. A cheap sandwich bag worked great. Kept the module clean and dry.

Zippster
05-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Exactly what I did. A cheap sandwich bag worked great. Kept the module clean and dry.

Simple, fast and cheap. :cool:

Zippster
05-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Meh, couldnt add on to my post. I must say though I am envious of Kennys home made cases, real bad ass.

Kenny East
05-25-2018, 04:08 AM
It may be a $10 module but it's $10 I won't have to worry about spending again. Never lost a module that I wasn't intending to. My first time using the import system I was afraid of leaving the modules out side after the show, condensation, rain.. Ect.. Now I just turn them off latch them shut and return in the morning.

Thanks zippster!

upNdown
05-26-2018, 08:00 AM
For $26.38, I got 3 modules, a remote control, and 12 ematches. To me, they're very much disposable.
If it's raining, I'll stick them in ziplocks.

morrison2951
03-31-2019, 09:18 PM
I wrap my modules in tinfoil. And I get them up off the ground to keep them dry and for the best wireless signal strength.

jamisonlm3
03-31-2019, 11:35 PM
I guy I've worked with uses pieces of cut rubber sheet roofing to cover his modules that sit on the ground. I did something similar with the ones from the cheap firing system I got. I cut three pieces to roughly 12"x14". I did this on a piece of plywood with a large aluminum framing square, a pencil and a utility cutter. Since they have an antenna, I used a 1/4" hole punch to make a hole off center in all three pieces. With the off center hole, the antennas fit through it nicely and throughly cover up the modules.