PDA

View Full Version : New to building/modification, possibly a very dumb question.

regularjake55
05-22-2018, 07:39 PM
I have some canister shells and I am trying to modify them, after opening them up (I normally just cut them in half, since messing with plugs and stuff seems a lot more complicated) and messing around, I close them up (normally by wrapping with electrical or duct tape, and then with masking tape). Each time I have tried, they go up but don't actually explode, it's more of an eruption of sparks with no sound, unless I put crackle or something in it. I'm thinking of trying again and using some kind of glue to reconstruct the shell, and then wrapping it with tape. Would I get a better result that way? No point in wasting shells for nothing.

Thanks for any responses and I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question...

Kenny East
05-22-2018, 08:23 PM
Sounds like a lot of work for very little pay off...most canister shells are plugged in too with a cardboard disc on top of a loose clay plug, over another cardboard disc.

I don't recommend repacking/modifying them but if you do, put them back together the way they were originally assembled. That's the only way it's going to function some what correctly.

Make sure you adjust the lift for any difference in shell weight from begging to end. If you remove the clay plug in top, you can sometimes get by using the two cardboard discs glued into the original shell. Also be mindful of the legal applications/ramifications of doing such a task.

yoshisbar
05-22-2018, 08:30 PM
wow lots of these today.. 1 post? that is the question.can close this one also dave?? lol

regularjake55
05-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a lot of work for very little pay off...most canister shells are plugged in too with a cardboard disc on top of a loose clay plug, over another cardboard disc.

I don't recommend repacking/modifying them but if you do, put them back together the way they were originally assembled. That's the only way it's going to function some what correctly.

Make sure you adjust the lift for any difference in shell weight from begging to end. If you remove the clay plug in top, you can sometimes get by using the two cardboard discs glued into the original shell. Also be mindful of the legal applications/ramifications of doing such a task.

So cutting into the shell in general (since it ruins the structural integrity of the shell) will probably end up with that result? Probably not worth trying again with the glue then huh..

regularjake55
05-22-2018, 10:36 PM
If it's worth anything they are Meet Mr. Big shells

Kenny East
05-23-2018, 05:45 AM
It wouldn't make any difference, once the shell casing is compromised it is not going to break right. I would recommend joining a club and getting into building shells from the lift up. Cutting into consumer fireworks is a bad idea since you have no way of knowing exactly what chemicals were used. Some chemicals react with each other fine but add some stars made with a different chemical..... Then it may react negatively, could cause spontaneous ignition, or may just degrade the oxidizer without any bad effects other than it not working.

There are many resources available for making fireworks, know what you're doing before you get hurt.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-23-2018, 08:14 PM
My question is "Why would you want to do that in the first place"? What do you hope to gain? Like Kenny said--start at the beginning--join a club & look for someone to mentor you if you want to learn to build fireworks SAFELY and correctly.
Cutting into a can shell without knowing what the break medium is can have catastrophic consequences for you.

displayfireworks1
05-24-2018, 04:51 AM
My money is on he is trying to make a air salute with something. I'm not sure what the something is. He probably does not watch my videos because if he did he would be using Magic Tape and not electrical tape. LOL This is the type of thing people try because they are forbidden from buying salutes. Just think what is going to happen if they take metals out of artillery shells and cakes.

Kenny East
05-24-2018, 05:18 AM
That's what I have heard on some Facebook groups... People say that they will start making their own shells. I usually laugh, I know how long it takes me to make a few dozen shells. I would venture that you may be correct, about the something. Things could get really interesting, if they water down and remove metals from break charges.