PDA

View Full Version : Handling Fireworks / Cutting Fuse

FireworkNewbie
05-22-2018, 09:13 AM
So, here are a couple safety questions I have. The first is in regards to handling fireworks, primarily ball shells/cans. I've seen guys handling them quite freely, even so much as just showing what they are and then tossing them back into a box with others. Now, when I handle them I'm fairly cautious, just because I don't know if they are going to "go off" (lift charge I'm assuming) if I'm not careful enough. So when handling them I look as though I'm transporting some biological weapon or something. I just would like closure or peace of mind that the anatomy of a shell is fairly sound. Or maybe it's not and I'm doing it right, I don't know...

My other question is, from what I gather, a bit topic. Cutting fuse, using scissors or clippers of some sort. I've seen countless videos saying to do it both ways... some say it's totally safe, others say don't take your chances. You guys have hours of experience, so what method do you use and why?

Backyardboom
05-22-2018, 09:23 AM
As for fireworks spontaneously going off, you need an ignition source. Just the tiniest spark can cause ignition. That can be just from a zap of static electricity. Consumer fireworks are fairly safe. As for cutting fuse use an anvil cutter, better safe than sorry.

Mattp
05-22-2018, 09:57 AM
I would say being over cautious is always a good thing.. and fireworks are the type of thing that should always be respected as such.. but yes. They definitely need an actual ignition source to ignite. And handling them moderately carefully is always good.. you also dont want to dent or damage anything because that can possibly cause a failure when lighting them off.. fuse cutting.. personally i use a pair of electrical dykes. Or a razor.. but with the razor i just push straight down firmly with a wood backer until it cuts.. i dont slice it .. pretty sure the alledged danger is in the slicing motion causing friction.. this is visco fuse im referring to.. id say a good practice too.. is to do all that outdoors.. and cut them first, then attach to the fireworks

FireworkNewbie
05-22-2018, 11:11 AM
Ok, thank you. That definitly eases my mind. I'm that guy that checks to make sure the stove is off a hundred times before leaving the house or going to bed... good to be safe and cautious, though I feel like I have crossed into crippling paranoia when it comes to safety.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-22-2018, 03:33 PM
good to be safe and cautious, though I feel like I have crossed into crippling paranoia when it comes to safety.

Might be time for a new hobby! Pyro is supposed to be a fun hobby, not something that causes a stroke.

When it comes to handling mortars (and fireworks in general) common sense goes a long way. You probably don't want to build your mortar racks by light of a roaring campfire, but you don't need a lead suit to do it either. If you imagine all the bouncing and banging the cases are subjected to between the factory in China and your front door, I think it's safe to say they will absorb a fair amount of bouncing around and not go off.

As for cutting fuse... Again, common sense. Anvil cutters are cheap and readily available. Why would ANYONE choose risk an accident just to save a few bucks? Pyro is like any other hobby. If you're going to do it, do it right. Be smart. Don't take unnecessary risks, and one day you'll retire as an old pyro with all your digits.

FireworkNewbie
05-23-2018, 05:25 AM
That's sound advice, thank you. Makes sense, I will enjoy set-up this year.

Kenny East
05-23-2018, 05:54 AM
You can get a cheap pair of anvil cutters at your local garden supply store. The black and Decker ones I got were about $5...

Safety is good but have fun while being safe, it's mostly black powder not super sensitive picrates. I would recommend that if you're cutting fuse on a live firework... Point it away from people, and do it outside. There's always that chance that something could go wrong, if it does a little forethought never hurt.

Mattp
05-23-2018, 11:29 AM
And whatever you do... do not do this!!!!! Lol

https://youtu.be/_mIv71Axrp0

Backyardboom
05-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Lucky the hammer didn’t come back down on his head

Mattp
05-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Lucky the hammer didn’t come back down on his head

I almost peed my pants laughing at that.. but was thinking the same thing!!

Zippster
05-23-2018, 02:21 PM

Ahhh the exploding hammer festival in Guatemala , brings back some found memories.

Kenny East
05-23-2018, 02:50 PM
I'd try it, but definitely with a smaller amount... His blast was crazy... Kinda wonder where the hammer landed.

cherrybomb1
05-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Looks like the crew that did some concrete work for me...thats how they busted up the old stuff!lol

Mattp
05-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Ahhh the exploding hammer festival in Guatemala , brings back some found memories.

Youve been there??? Thats awesome!!! But definitley have to watch out for flying sledge hammers!!

Mattp
05-28-2018, 09:28 AM
Looks like the crew that did some concrete work for me...thats how they busted up the old stuff!lol

Hahaha.. id work for that company.. lol

Mattp
05-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Ok.. so as for the fuse cutting.. anvil cutters.. ive always thought that me using my electrical dykes was basically the same exact thing.. because they dont use the same metal grinding motion as scissors.. and are insulated handles.. but after rick saying about unnecessary risks.. i looked into it a little more.. now i get it.. never knew the anvil was rubber.. thus grounding any potential for spark... DUHHHH!!! I just ordered myself a pair!!!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2018, 11:07 PM
Good call Matt! Not just because I said it either. Lol... Considering what we spend on fireworks, it just doesn't make sense to risk having an accident to save $5, $10, whatever, on a tool that will prevent the accident. If there are any lurkers out there contemplating the same thing, I hope they follow your lead.