PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice

cherrybomb1
05-21-2018, 08:35 AM
I have 60 3 in mortars and 60 2.5 on the way from Pyroboom.Im going to make racks to take down to Lynch Imports for there open shoot on June 9.Is there any standard for mortars per rack...base thickness etc?.thanks for any help!

Mattp
05-21-2018, 12:17 PM
From what ive seen and made.. a 2x4 on the bottom and vertical sides(main frame) .. then run 1x5 or 1x6 horizontal across the top and the bottom on both sides (cross braces).. the mortars are plugged so a 1 1/2" base should be good.. man.. 160 tubes.. you got alot of work ahaead of you.. lol.. and i usually use a piece of 3/4" ply or pine for a base stand.. also depends on you rack concept

Kenny East
05-21-2018, 03:18 PM
3" is easy that's a 2 x4 base and sides... The 2.5" can have the same thickness but need a to be ripped down to the right width. As for the side rails, I usually use common board. But the standard is osb or plywood ... I would use plywood before I would use osb. At least 4" wide rails, usually try to make the bottom rail end where the top of the plug is in the tube. Don't fasten the tubes to the rack, it makes for easier cleaning and screwing the tubes in can weaken the plugs if screwed into the plugs.

Mattp
05-22-2018, 07:01 AM
I was messing around looking at NYC FDNY certificate of fitness for firework operator.. and was studying their material.. thought you may like this tidbit of info reguarding racks

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3027&stc=1

cherrybomb1
05-24-2018, 05:29 AM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3040&stc=1Thanks Kenny and Mattp..i made a couple 3in racks Sunday night.I was going to go with 10 per rack but i didn't want them to heavy so i went with 6 since i bought 60 of them.the first one i made i went with a standard 2x4 construction but when i got it done i would have had to beat the tubes in with a rubber mallet.i ended up ripping a 2x10 3 5/8 and they fit perfect...not loose but not too where i won't be able to get one out if i have to.The 2.5 tubes i'll go with 10 per rack.I've got a long way to go...i also have 100 more dr11's to make racks for!.I have finished up my stakes also...cut the handles down like PyroJoe suggested and of course put a coat of paint on them.lol

Mattp
05-24-2018, 07:36 AM
Looking good.. holy crap you do have a long way to go.. thats alot of racks.. gonna have to make some storage room too.. lol.. if i may make one suggestion.. and this is totally just my personal preference. . And may not even be right in the rack making biz. But on the racks i would make the lower rail go all the way down.. and fasten it into the bottom 2x4 also.. locking it in place .. will give it ALOT more stregnth that way.. i like the bright colored paint on those stakes.. its crazy how much non pyro work is also involved in this hobby.. lol.. i try to break all the other stuff up throughout the year.. so my wife doesnt see all the added costs at once.. lol

joewad
05-25-2018, 04:34 PM
3 inch chains are made 10 to a chain and 10 gun racks are a good size for any fielding. 3 inch are also a just a 2 by 4 cut to length. On the other hand a properly cut 2.5 rack will require "ripping" a 2 by 4 to a smaller dimension. A 10 shot rack is much lighter than your 3's but keep in mind your shooting plans. Some vendors offer 12 shot 2.5 inch chains as well as 10 shot. I initially made all my 2.5 inch racks to hold 10 guns, now with a few years under my belt I wish they would be 12 shot for chains.

cherrybomb1
05-25-2018, 06:06 PM
3 inch chains are made 10 to a chain and 10 gun racks are a good size for any fielding. 3 inch are also a just a 2 by 4 cut to length. On the other hand a properly cut 2.5 rack will require "ripping" a 2 by 4 to a smaller dimension. A 10 shot rack is much lighter than your 3's but keep in mind your shooting plans. Some vendors offer 12 shot 2.5 inch chains as well as 10 shot. I initially made all my 2.5 inch racks to hold 10 guns, now with a few years under my belt I wish they would be 12 shot for chains.

Thanks joewad,I guess its back to the drawing board...i didn't even think about chains.i salvaged a bunch of 2x6x6 from work the another night that i can rip down.do you put spacers between your 2.5 in mortars?

cherrybomb1
05-26-2018, 02:52 AM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3041&stc=1 Alright here's my latest prototype...Thank God i'm getting the wood free at work!Thanks for the input and everyone have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!

Kenny East
05-26-2018, 05:36 AM
My first 3" rack was a seven shot. . So I'm not gonna beat you up over the 6 shot racks. The shells I buy if I don't buy a full case come packed 6 shells per box. I build most of my racks from scrap wood so odd shot counts and varied designs are common for me.

My guess is that the 2x4 you used was a premium select.. Those run a bit smaller since they finish sand them. I usually use framing stud 2x4s... They are the super cheap ones at Lowe's or menards.

joewad
05-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Personally, I did not place spacers with my 2.5" racks but some do for their safety concerns, your call. And before you scrap your 2.5" rack plans entirely, determine where you will be buying your product and verify that they offer 2.5" chains of 12 shells. Not all providers do.

PS: Rack looks good but you could eliminate some weight by eliminating the entire spacer between each inner gun. Only place cut spacers the width of each side rails (e.g. that'll be 2 spacers each inner gun of rack).

shake the cove
05-27-2018, 08:57 PM
Am thinking of going.I have to pick up some product previously ordered at some time anyway. Went to his demo but never been to his open shoot

cherrybomb1
06-08-2018, 04:08 AM
Here's a 2.5 in rack I just finished up.didnt like the idea of having to nail stabalizers to the sides and having to pull them off again, so I counter sunk bolts from the inside out that I can just take out when I'm finished with my shooting.These bolts I had on hand...http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3099&stc=1I just need to get some shorter ones.Seems pretty stable.

cherrybomb1
06-08-2018, 04:12 AM
I thought I finally had this $hitt figured out where I didn't need my wife to upload my pictures for me...i guess not.

Mattp
06-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Lol.. looks good.. NICE RACK with those bolts on side.. easy way to set them at angles too.. i find that the photo upload works most of the time.. and sometime it doesn't.. so may not have been your fault.. oh. Ut if your wife did it 1st time.. then maybe it was.. LOL..

Rick_In_Tampa
06-08-2018, 08:10 PM
CB1 - Have you tested the lateral stability of that setup? i.e. How much force will it take to have it collapse if it's bumped? I'll be honest... I'm picturing all three thumping out mortars at the same time and it concerns me that the vibration might be enough to have those things topple over if those screws loosen at all. Not to mention a wind gust or someone walking into it, etc.

Mattp
06-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Rick has a very valid point.. those single centered bolts with wing nuts have a possibility to all fold like theyre on hinges... i get the reason you did it that way... but even sticking 2 bolts at each point instead of just the one should help prevent that... if you have a battery powered screw gun.. it be just as easy to screw them on and off.. i know you said you were trting to avoid that

cherrybomb1
06-08-2018, 11:26 PM
You guys got a valid point...first time I use my permit I don't need a disaster...i'll screw some stabilizers across the bottom! I appreciate your guys input.

cherrybomb1
06-09-2018, 12:29 AM
Hopefully here's a picture of a 3 in rack I'm finishing up, I have lock washers behind those wing nuts...it feels real solid!3104

cherrybomb1
06-09-2018, 12:32 AM
Time to swallow my pride and go back to the wife helping me post pics...Damn!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-09-2018, 12:56 AM
Lol.... Looks good man. Even sideways!! :cool:

Mattp
06-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Hahaha... ya.. now thats a rack i would trust!!! Looks real good!! I forgot and its hard to tell in pictures.. but were talking about 1.3... def better to beef em up!!!

Mattp
06-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Hey.. cb1... howd the open shoot go??? Put the atf54 to good use??

cherrybomb1
06-13-2018, 07:22 AM
Hey.. cb1... howd the open shoot go??? Put the atf54 to good use??
Sorry to say i didn't put it too any use...the combination of staying up until about 4:00 am working on those racks and getting everything ready,then when i went to bed i laid there like a little kid on Christmas eve and couldn't sleep thinking about my big day,then the weather wasn't cooperating here or there,and the thought of driving 5 hours there and driving straight back afterwards didn't sound like such a good idea.But i found a job box on craigslist yesterday that I'm picking up today so ill at least be able to store a little bit of product.

Mattp
06-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Sorry to say i didn't put it too any use...the combination of staying up until about 4:00 am working on those racks and getting everything ready,then when i went to bed i laid there like a little kid on Christmas eve and couldn't sleep thinking about my big day,then the weather wasn't cooperating here or there,and the thought of driving 5 hours there and driving straight back afterwards didn't sound like such a good idea.But i found a job box on craigslist yesterday that I'm picking up today so ill at least be able to store a little bit of product.

Oh man.. it sure is alot of work.. and you were on a rack building mission.. lol.. theres always the 4th... yes.. i too need to check that out about getting an indoor magazine approved.. will make the 1.3 game alot easier!!!