PDA

View Full Version : Strobes

Mattp
05-20-2018, 10:12 PM
For those who use strobes in your show.. how far apart do you like to put them??

cptnding
05-20-2018, 10:50 PM
I usually spread them about 15' apart. Depends on how "busy" you want the strobing effect to be.

Mattp
05-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Cool, thanks This is going to be my first time using.. but when i see them in peoples vidoes i love the way they look.. but in videos its hard to get an idea of space and distance

PyroJoeNEPA
05-21-2018, 10:36 AM
When I use them I put them in a large #10 can [get them from the local pizza shop] and cut part of the side out of it. Place them with the solid side of the can to the audience and the open side away from them. That keeps them from getting blinded by them but still get the effect. I can put 3-4 of the Dominator strobes in one can on separate cues. Just a suggestion.

Mattp
05-21-2018, 12:06 PM
When I use them I put them in a large #10 can [get them from the local pizza shop] and cut part of the side out of it. Place them with the solid side of the can to the audience and the open side away from them. That keeps them from getting blinded by them but still get the effect. I can put 3-4 of the Dominator strobes in one can on separate cues. Just a suggestion.

I thought i remembered someone talking about that.. couldnt remember the exact method though.. thank you.. it is a good idea.. i tested one out yesterday.. and they sure are bright.. especially when looking directly at it .. i think its image is still slightly burned into my retina..when i blink.. lol

Jay_
05-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Was wondering myself if the strobes needed to be suppressed a bit. Great tip!

Pyro Paul
05-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Thanks Joe for the tip, I hope things are good in your little corner of the pyro world!

MtnViewPyro
05-21-2018, 11:08 PM
Would this also help with the 1 second flames?

Backyardboom
05-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Would this also help with the 1 second flames?

Flames are not that bright, so suppressing wouldn’t be nessesary and would take away from the effect. Strobes are fine without suppressing if you have the proper distance. Your distance should be at the very least 100’ per 1 inch of the shells diameter anyhow. 2” cake you should have 200 ft between it and spectators. At that distance your strobe wouldn’t be blindingly bright.

MtnViewPyro
05-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Flames are not that bright, so suppressing wouldn’t be nessesary and would take away from the effect. Strobes are fine without suppressing if you have the proper distance. Your distance should be at the very least 100’ per 1 inch of the shells diameter anyhow. 2” cake you should have 200 ft between it and spectators. At that distance your strobe wouldn’t be blindingly bright.

https://youtu.be/BO9DYEQbMdA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO9DYEQbMdA&feature=youtu.be

PyroJoeNEPA
05-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Flame pots can get "lost" in a show very easily--you might want to consider elevating them 2-3 feet above the ground to improve the visual effect of them. I know of companies that use speaker tripods with a flat "deck" on top to elevate flame pots, gerbs, etc. for better viewing.