PDA

View Full Version : Fusing Shells and Timing

FireworkNewbie
05-18-2018, 11:36 AM
Hey, so I'm planning my show for Memorial day and am at a part where I want to shoot a 12 shot rack in 10 seconds. I was contemplating how to achieve this time. I came to the conclusion to use one foot of perfect fuse (10sec/ft) and attach all 12 shell fuses to it, one after the other, spaced evenly. I will use a channel to efire it, so that is not an issue.This just seems logical to do it this way.

My question, is this a solid method, or are there better or easier ways to achieve what I'm trying to do?

MtnViewPyro
05-18-2018, 01:58 PM
This is the best fusing method I have found so far (link below). Fuse is never perfect and I rarely use fuse anymore. I actually remove fuse and just use MJG, but if you’re needing to save cues that’s not an option. Hope the video helps some.

https://youtu.be/guM8pTEjmFY

upNdown
05-19-2018, 12:17 PM
This is the best fusing method I have found so far (link below). Fuse is never perfect and I rarely use fuse anymore. I actually remove fuse and just use MJG, but if you’re needing to save cues that’s not an option. Hope the video helps some.

https://youtu.be/guM8pTEjmFY

Can we talk about this tying method for a moment? It looks appealing to me. But I've always heard that you want fire hitting the end of the fuse, where the powder is exposed. With this tying method, that isn't going to happen. Anybody have any thoughts about the likelihood of success or failure with this tying method?
Also, do we know exactly how fast the fuse used on canister shells is, or does it vary from brand to brand?

MtnViewPyro
05-19-2018, 01:16 PM
I was not at all confident in the video that it would work, but where I seen the method the guy seemed very knowledgeable about fireworks (he is). I believe because the the fuse has many contact points, the likelihood it will not pass is slim. Won’t say it will never happen, but so far, I haven’t had issues.

As far as shell fuse time, I am sure someone has an exact timing but it seems there isn’t much consistency even with the same brand.

Mattp
05-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Ive always done the zip tie methed. Or tape.. do you think the tying method is faster?? Im def about trying to speed up setup time.. ive also often wondered what the average comsumer shell fuse speed is.. if had to guess id say 10 sec/ft

MtnViewPyro
05-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Tying the knot is not faster for setup. First time you do it, it takes forever. Got to get the technique down. I’m faster now but still slower than just taping.

Mattp
05-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Lol.. ok. Than i will knot be trying that.. "see what i did there".. haha.. it does look cool and is nice and secure but im def all about speed!!!

AwakenedPotato
05-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Hey, not sure if this will help with your specific question, but just wanted to show a few different ways to fuse things up. In the past, I've used the plastic 4-way connectors to fire shells using a central fuse with pretty decent results. I think the important thing is to just be consistent in how you fuse things together, also it helps if you have some extras to experiment with. The spacing of your racks and fuse lengths can also impact what you're trying to accomplish, i.e. how much fuse length you actually need.

https://i.imgur.com/iFVvR5v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wXMMZIK.jpg

cherrybomb1
05-19-2018, 07:15 PM
Hey, not sure if this will help with your specific question, but just wanted to show a few different ways to fuse things up. In the past, I've used the plastic 4-way connectors to fire shells using a central fuse with pretty decent results. I think the important thing is to just be consistent in how you fuse things together, also it helps if you have some extras to experiment with. The spacing of your racks and fuse lengths can also impact what you're trying to accomplish, i.e. how much fuse length you actually need.

https://i.imgur.com/iFVvR5v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wXMMZIK.jpg

Looks like you put a lot of work into your racks...those are nice!

Berserker23
05-19-2018, 08:19 PM
I would use pink fuse use the uhaul brown tape to tape the fuses together and then use aluminum tape to cover up the mortar tubes works every time

Stormcrow
05-21-2018, 07:18 AM

Here’s my fusing method. Last year only about 5 out of 240 failed to fire. Nice racks awakened.

FireworkNewbie
05-21-2018, 09:31 AM
That is beautiful, now how fast was that, do you have video or can explain? I'm assuming that main fuse was perfect fuse and the spacing looked like they were 1 sec apart, might be mistaken though...

Stormcrow
05-21-2018, 07:15 PM
You nailed it. Perfect fuse with a goal of 1 second spacing. When fired I don’t expect consistent spacing due to the inconsistency of the fuse from canister shells. I don’t have a great video.

joed2323
05-21-2018, 07:23 PM
You nailed it. Perfect fuse with a goal of 1 second spacing. When fired I don’t expect consistent spacing due to the inconsistency of the fuse from canister shells. I don’t have a great video.

You can take that inconsistency out of the equation if you replace each shell leader with fast fuse

3 Fingers
05-22-2018, 06:50 PM
I would use pink fuse use the uhaul brown tape to tape the fuses together and then use aluminum tape to cover up the mortar tubes works every time

Does the aluminum tape over the trunk fuse speed it up at all?

Stormcrow
05-22-2018, 11:45 PM
Does the aluminum tape over the trunk fuse speed it up at all?

That is what I was always told. Hopefully some of the veterans will chime in.

Stormcrow
05-22-2018, 11:46 PM
You can take that inconsistency out of the equation if you replace each shell leader with fast fuse

Agree but soooo time consuming.

upNdown
06-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Here's how I'm going to do it this year, based on a couple of successful tests.
Using milk crate racks, I'm just running the main fuse (probably pink perfect fuse for the most part, but sometimes gray quick fuse) across the top of the tubes. Then just tape the last inch of the shell's visco to the perfect fuse, centered over the tube. Then just take all the slack and stuff it down the tube. Simple, quick, and works pretty well.

In years past, I've sort of daisy chained the shells' visco to the main fuse - that was on poor man racks, so there was more space between tubes, but still, one shell's visco would overlap with the next, and the end result is a mess of fuse all taped together that kinda does it's own thing, timing-wise. I'm sure trimming off the extra visco (before you fuse them) could be a little more predictable time-wise than my method (of having the extra 6 inches of fuse just stuffed down into the tube) but that involves a little more work that I'd rather skip. And that method with the pretty knots looks great, but again, extra work that's probably unnecessary.
Anyway, those are my two cents. I only mention it because I haven't seen it mentioned here, and it's an incredibly simple solution that works well.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2018, 04:56 PM
upNdown - If I understand what you're saying, you're going to fuse your crates like I fuse mine. I can't upload a picture of my crates from last year because it's too big, but here's a "snipping tool" version of one of them.

Deanbc
06-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Newbie, i have been thinking about the same timing issue. I know how many shells I want to go off in a given time frame so I think if you get the main fuse timed just right how you attach each shell, knot, tape or slip ties doesn’t matter so if you want to fire all your shells in 50 seconds and you are using 10 second per foot fuse then you need 5 feet of that fuse which will completely burn in 50 seconds. It’s really about getting the timing of your main fuse right, the shells will go off in that time frame. If you want some variation in the shell firing, you can then either shorten the shell fuse or replace some of them with a faster burning fuse. But for timing it’s about how fast and how long your main fuse burns. Hope that makes sense.

PYRODAN
06-04-2018, 09:38 PM
I have been doing some testing with tying the shell fuse to a main fuse. So far, I have not had one not light. I took a 20' piece of 5sec/ft. fuse and tied 40, 6" pieces of green slow fuse to it. I taped half the knots. Every one lit. I have not used this method in a show as of yet, but I may this year.

Mattp
06-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Makes total sense.. its still hard to get it 100% .. but damn close.. this year is my first using milk crate racks. got 2 for the finale.. using 4' of 5sec/ft fuse.. should be roughly just faster than 1 per sec for 20 sec.. i spiraled the fuse in to.. started from the outside tubes.. and went around and in until the one in the center was last one on the chain

upNdown
06-04-2018, 09:44 PM
It looks like it, though it's tough to tell what's under the tape.
My goal is to have as little of the shell's visco in contact with the main fuse as possible. The theory being that when you have 2-3 or more inches of each shell's visco overlapping one another on the main fuse, timing becomes less predictable. So tape an inch or less on, and just stuff the rest down the pipe. But I'm just leaning through trial and error - if you say this works well, I'll be happy to hear it.

Mattp
06-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Thats cool. Defimitely worth a try if it works good.. Im a zip tie fan myself....hey upndown .. if you have the shells visco overlapping each other on the main fuse.. then theres no need for the main fuse.. just daisy chain the shell fuses together .. if your trying to have the main fuse do your timing then you can't have the shell fuses touching ... ohh.well Unless your using fast fuse.. then sure!! Makes sense

Rick_In_Tampa
06-04-2018, 10:03 PM
this year is my first using milk crate racks.

Just a reminder buddy... Make sure you have some wood under those tubes in the crates or place the crates on a solid surface for the show. If not those tubes might bounce right out of the crates and it could get ugly from there.... :(

Mattp
06-04-2018, 10:34 PM
Just a reminder buddy... Make sure you have some wood under those tubes in the crates or place the crates on a solid surface for the show. If not those tubes might bounce right out of the crates and it could get ugly from there.... :(

YES!!!! Appreciate it.. i cut a piece of 3/4 ply kind of snug.. and screwed it from the bottom up with washers so its solid.. im considering staking them down too.. i dont think people do.. but i get nervous about that thing tipping

Rick_In_Tampa
06-05-2018, 04:33 PM
I've never had one tip, but if you feel safer staking them down, by all means... Never hurts to err on the side of safety!