PDA

View Full Version : Securing Cakes

FireworkNewbie
05-16-2018, 06:59 PM
Hey, I got a question on how you guys secure your cakes to plywood. I'm aware of the wrap and stake into the ground technique, but my concern is on how to secure to a base. I've seen a ton of videos and discussions on using two methods:

1. Duct/Gorilla Tape
2. Nail Glue

I'm curious what you guys use and why you use the preferred method. I'm also curious about cost factor; not sure if plywood can be salvaged after a nail glue application. Also, is one method safer than the other?

Pyro Paul
05-16-2018, 08:31 PM
I've been using 3/4" osb and plywood with cheap liquid nail applied liberally to the bottom of the cakes. After it cures it comes off pretty easy with a 5 in 1 tool or a paint scraper.

matandch
05-16-2018, 08:47 PM
I like to use hot glue.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-16-2018, 09:24 PM
I used to use liquid nails. Make sure you remove the thin paper off the bottom of the cake first! There will be a thin piece of veneer on the bottom. Apply the liquid nails to that and secure it to the board. Works great. It will come off fairly easily with a scraper when you're done.

Having said that, I prefer the stake method. Gives you a lot more flexibility as far as placement of the cakes is concerned, and cleanup is a lot less painful.

I don't know that one method is "safer" than the other, but staking is certainly more cost effective IMHO.

joed2323
05-16-2018, 09:46 PM
If seen guys use nails or screws and tap through the corner of each cake into plywood. Seems like a super fast idea. Especially easy to do with 500g cakes. Smaller bore cakes might not work so easy. Just make sure you do not send nails/screws through the side of tubes (only through the cardboard.

Plywood and glueing cakes to boards, works and helps you setup everything before the show, just carry out to shoot site and plug into modules.

I do like using stakes it's pretty quick to lay out the cakes and throw a stake and tape around cake. You can easily just tape several cakes together to avoid using stakes.

Each method has it's negatives. I have been trying to find the fastest and easiest method for faster show setup.

Seems like every year the show gets bigger and bigger and it's eats up more time regardless of whatever method one chooses to go with

Zippster
05-16-2018, 10:27 PM
We use pallets, tons around for free. We then do as Rick said, remove the thin paper under the cakes and liquid nails. Cheaper to buy the huge tube of it but you'll also need the larger caulk gun too. End of the night, the pallets all go into the bonfire.

MtnViewPyro
05-16-2018, 10:39 PM
I use plywood and liquid nails. The liquid nails came off really easy. Only lost one board last year and that was due to a cake catching on fire and burning through the board. I also cut the 4x8 sheets into 3 sections, makes transporting from my garage to the field much easier. 4x8 sheets full with cakes weighs a ton.

Stakes would be the most cost effective way of securing stuff. I, however, can’t use stakes because of how hard the ground is here in July (unless it rains) and I have very little help with setup. So for me, preparing everything in the garage on boards the week before, then the day of show just load everything on truck and trailer and transport to field.

Kenny East
05-17-2018, 05:05 AM
Liquid nail or fiberglass strapping tape. Usually liquid nail smaller cakes to a framed out board/cake box. Other times to save time the day of, tape multiple smaller cakes to each other. So they won't tip over. This was one of last year's boxes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNY1RLr63Bc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNY1RLr63Bc&app=desktop

Deanbc
05-17-2018, 08:41 AM
I use OSB 1/2 inch Plywood. I cut into 2x8 or 2x4 sizes depending on what segment of the show. I run a 2x4 board underneath along both long lengths for strength. I use polypropylene rope stapled (big fence post staples) into the ends of the 2x4’s to create lifting handles for easy transport. Finally I apply a liberal coating of polyurethane semi gloss or gloss onto the plywood surface that you will be using, if I plan on using 4 inch Gorilla tape, the tape sticks better to the smooth hard surface created by the polyurethane. Have never had a problem using the Gorilla tape this way. I have also used liquid nails but prefer the tape. Make sure you use the 4 inch size on several sides of the cakes. I use about a 6 inch length of tape on 500g cakes and a 3-4 inch length on 200g cakes, tape at least 2 sides, 3 if you have want overkill.

FireworkNewbie
05-17-2018, 09:10 AM
I like that lifting handles technique. I also have 2x4 plywood sections... that would be ideal for transportation. Great stuff!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-17-2018, 04:09 PM
Here's a picture of my boards from a few years ago. I used 4'x8' sheets of OSB cut into two 2'x8' pieces. Then I built a base for each using three 2"x3"x8' boards. Cut one of them into four 2' sections. This builds a solid frame and it also makes it easy to grip and transport the completed board later on. You can also stack them to save space.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3018&stc=1

Crush630
05-17-2018, 04:54 PM
For strapping cakes, I would use a 3/4 sheet of plywood 4x4 NOT OSB. I would also paint the wood with a semi gloss or high gloss paint latex paint (less flammable then oil based). A couple coats at least, I usually just pick up the "opps"(returned paint) from home depot since its cheap.

OSB is extremely flammable from glues used as binder.

flashfuse
05-17-2018, 05:02 PM
I like to use hot glue.

+1 on the Hot Glue , I take the paper off the bottom of the cake 1st then glue the bottom of the cake tubes , the hot glue holds so well, that after the shoot we have to kick the cakes off the wood to dislodge them .

Pyro Paul
05-17-2018, 07:31 PM
For strapping cakes, I would use a 3/4 sheet of plywood 4x4 NOT OSB. I would also paint the wood with a semi gloss or high gloss paint latex paint (less flammable then oil based). A couple coats at least, I usually just pick up the "opps"(returned paint) from home depot since its cheap.

Say what you want Crush, I've got 6 4x4x3/4 sheets of OSB that say different :cool: (been using them for 10 years, not even a burn mark)

@ Rick, nice set up bud!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-17-2018, 08:02 PM
Say what you want Crush, I've got 6 4x4x3/4 sheets of OSB that say different :cool: (been using them for 10 years, not even a burn mark)

@ Rick, nice set up bud!

Thank you Sir. Yes... They worked great and even though I've had plenty of cakes catch fire, I never lost a board due to fire.

Mattp
05-17-2018, 09:51 PM

What your sayimg does seem make sense about the glue.. but OSB has become really prominent in house building over the last few years due to the cost being so much cheaper than CDX plywood.. and i highly doubt if it was extremely flammable more than any other wood.. building codes would allow it.. i mean its wood so sure its flammable but its not going to just combust.. ive hit it with soldering torches plenty of times while doing plumbing.. having said that.. personally ive never made boards for fireworks...some of the larger cakes i feel are heavy enough.. and alot of the lighter/smaller cakes i wrap together with duct tape.. i also havent done shows the size of alot of you guys here

Crush630
05-18-2018, 09:28 AM
https://www.attn.com/stories/1017/new-house-material-burns-worse

https://www.performancepanels.com/fire-resistant-properties

Just google "is osb flammable" says it right in bold lettering.

Mattp
05-18-2018, 10:09 AM
https://www.attn.com/stories/1017/new-house-material-burns-worse

https://www.performancepanels.com/fire-resistant-properties

Just google "is osb flammable" says it right in bold lettering.

I dont want to start a debate on plywood flammability.. and im not trying to be a dick.. but in That link you sent.. the flame spread rating is identical to regular plywood... and yes it may burn a little faster when put into a fire.. but its not going to spontaneously ignite.. especially for the purpose of firework boards.. theres no way our building codes would allow it to be used if it was that dangerous... although 40 years ago thats probably what they said about asbestos!!!

Crush630
05-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Im right there with you, I am not looking to be a dick. Just tossing my two cents in on what I use.

MtnViewPyro
05-18-2018, 01:59 PM
Rick your boards are sexy. Just saying.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-18-2018, 04:29 PM
It's how I roll brother.... Just how I roll.... :cool:

Mattp
05-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Rick your boards are sexy. Just saying.

Hahaha.. right... just to make those alone is way more than i have the time to do!! Lol.. is a really nice way to set it up

MtnViewPyro
05-18-2018, 11:05 PM
My boards seen Rick’s boards and asked why I don’t give them that much attention lol. In all seriousness, I like how you built them on bases. Just might be how I do it going forward. It’s a lot better to have them off the ground a bit.

Pyro Paul
05-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Me 3 MVP lol. The reason I use them is because I set up everything prior too show day to cut down on set up time. I was contemplating putting handles on the OSB because it's a real pain to pick them up fully loaded but I think the base like Rick did would definately solve that problem...

Kenny East
05-20-2018, 06:57 AM
Started on boards for next Saturday, waiting for the adhesive to dry before fusing up.

MtnViewPyro
05-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Looking good Kenny! You having a show for Memorial Day?

pimpdaddee28
05-22-2018, 02:05 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/starvin_marvin_jm88/Radiator%20cakes_zpsns9tnptc.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/starvin_marvin_jm88/Radiator%20cakes%20-%202_zpsgkl5vhgt.jpg

This may seem unusual, but I sometimes use an old radiator from a car because it actually grips the cakes very well. Only use it for cakes that can potentially tip over though, otherwise I use a board or a sheet of plywood.

Kenny East
05-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Yeah, not doing a show for the fourth of July. So I'm going to do a show for memorial day.

I can see using an old radiator or condenser for a base to shoot small cakes off of. I build them every day, and they have plenty of natural tac.. To grip the smaller cakes. They tear your hands up when handling them all day.

MtnViewPyro
05-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Can't wait to see your show, Kenny. Im going to demo an M-25 and maybe a few shells for Memorial Day.

MontanaMike
05-22-2018, 09:33 PM
We use 2x8 x 1/4" plywood boards, firmed up with 2x2 on all sides. We turn these upside down (with the framing on the top) and lay the cakes in. This way the framing keeps the cakes from sliding-off during transport or firing, and since the board is flat on the ground, it has that support during the show. We don't glue anything down.

For extra-large cakes that take up too much room, we have several smaller sheets of plywood that we lay on the ground next to the boards and set the large cakes on them.

We don't use any cakes that are "tall and skinny" and we tend to fill the boards up pretty close with cakes, so we've never had a tip-over issue. Our shoot area is about 175' across a highway from our crowd area. The only things we have in close proximity to the crowd are a few fountains, roman candles and spinners.

Kenny East
05-23-2018, 06:00 AM
That's basically what my show is going to be... Trying some new fireworks and some new shell designs. Trying to duplicate big's cloud 9.... Rings with horse tails. So I made a bunch of 2.5" ring with horse tail shells. Trying a few new star formulas as well. Should be a good show for how small I plan on it being. Only using a few larger cakes, homemade shells, some consumer shells. Nothing too crazy.... Well maybe..... Have to see the video..lol

FireworkNewbie
05-23-2018, 06:43 AM
I can't wait to see it! That's amazing you design and create your own shells... that's so advanced to me, maybe one day I'll get there. Think I need more experience and to be more comfortable with all of this first...

Kenny East
05-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Gotta start somewhere. I started building back when Michigan was a safe and insane state... Fun but a lot of work..some shells take hours to make.

vegassalute
05-24-2018, 05:50 PM
I'm a believer in stakes or rebar. I like my cakes secure on all sides. For hard surfaces I've used mini-sandboxes. There are enough variables when firing a show, I get OCD over this one :)

Stormcrow
05-26-2018, 06:17 PM

Angled boards this year due to width restrictions at shoot site. 5 to 15 degree angles. Hope it works out.
Disclaimer: at no time are you to compare these to Rick’s.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Lol... My boards are very low tech my friend. No fancy angles like yours! Looking great so far.

ChuckL
06-03-2018, 02:24 PM
I lay out my boards and fusing on pallet sized cardboard (like big TV or refrigerator boxes) then staple the cardboard to the pallet in the corners. Coated stuff like TV boxes works best. Easy cleanup too. After I do my post fire inspection I throw the cardboard in a bonfire! :cool: