PDA

View Full Version : Pyro Weight in Cakes

Firefighter148
05-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Curious as to how to determine the pyro weight on cakes. Is it a percentage of gross weight? Is it different for 1.4 cakes?

Thanks in advance!

cherrybomb1
05-14-2018, 11:13 PM
Curious as to how to determine the pyro weight on cakes. Is it a percentage of gross weight? Is it different for 1.4 cakes?

Thanks in advance!

I was told by the Atf inspector it's 25% of the weight for cakes and 50% for shells,I don't know about 1.4...but he said there not concerned about 1.4

Kenny East
05-15-2018, 04:53 AM
Atf isn't involved in most consumer fireworks, there are a few exceptions where they get involved but it's mostly the cspc. Consumer cakes have a ton of requirements to be sold here... Spacing of tubes, amount of composition, tip/stability, and about a million more.

Limited to "500 grams" of pyrotechnic material per cake for 1 .4G... But 1.3G... The sky is the limit. Some huge show in a box set ups can have thousands of grams easy.

jamisonlm3
05-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Dave did a video of a what I'm guessing is one of the larger 1.3 cakes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=forg0N-SEZE) a couple of years ago. On the smaller side, I've seen cakes that were larger than the consumer zippe cakes, but all the shots were what you would expect in a nice 500g consumer cake.

displayfireworks1
05-15-2018, 07:06 PM
Most receipts from purchasing 1.3 fireworks appear to break down the total weight and the pyrotechnic composition weight. If you have a small magazine it becomes significant.

Firefighter148
05-15-2018, 10:58 PM
Thanks for all of the info! The only reason I was curious about the 1.4 cakes is because I'm storing those in the same place. My mag is rated for 10,000 lbs and i'll never have that much 1.3 in there, so I just threw 1.4 in there as well.

Mattp
05-16-2018, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all of the info! The only reason I was curious about the 1.4 cakes is because I'm storing those in the same place. My mag is rated for 10,000 lbs and i'll never have that much 1.3 in there, so I just threw 1.4 in there as well.

This will most likely never be an issue for me.. lol.. but i am curious whats the proper answer for that.. i guess being that your putting them in a magazine with 1.3 also in it.. you would have to count the weight of that now.. but technically there is no storage requirements for 1.4.. so does it even count.. i would think so.. but when they come to inspect do they even look at it.. and now do you have to put them on your storage manifest? Im Pretty sure i remember a video from dave where he checked out a large magazine.. and if i remeber right, they built a dividing wall inside it.. to make 1.4 storage separate