PDA

View Full Version : Bigs PRO SHELLS

pitts
05-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Seem to be the only ones that are consistently great every year

displayfireworks1
05-13-2018, 12:07 PM
That is funny. "Seem to be the only ones".

upNdown
05-13-2018, 12:09 PM
I’ve only compared them to Excalibur, and they seem just as good to me. But what surprises me is that as good as they are, they’re the ones I can get the best retail price on - $50 per box or $180 per case. Seems like a no-brainer to me. If I can get these for under $2 per shell, I can’t justify trying some of those 5 inch shells for over $3 apiece.

jknepp1954
05-13-2018, 03:02 PM
IMO - most all 60 can shells are basically the same. Just go with what is available to your area. And the best bang for the $$.
Unless you are very very picky.....

MtnViewPyro
05-13-2018, 03:27 PM
I think we would all be surprised how many of these shells are all the same with just different wraps. The only difference I care about is the price tag. I always buy shells even though I have tons left over every year, but I haven’t noticed any of them shocking me in the last few years.

PyroMike79
05-13-2018, 08:10 PM
The best 60g can shell on the market is whatever one I can find for the least money!

PyroManiacs
05-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Its funny this type of conversation comes up every year around this time of the season. Like maybe some people are hoping to find some accidental 65g cans or something, lol. They're really basically all the same regardless.

Kenny East
05-13-2018, 09:24 PM
I'm a buy the cheaper ones, I've shot a lot of cans, all but a few special exceptions, are the same. The only thing I like about Excalibur is the tubes... Pro by BIG are good, but not as cheap as some of the Showtime ones I've bought... Which were just as good

upNdown
05-13-2018, 10:30 PM
I will say that the Pro tubes were crap - i blew a few plugs last year after maybe 3 or 4 or 5 reloads. Not a concern anymore because I'm the proud owner of 120 pryoboom hdpe tubes. No more crappy concrete plugged fiberglass tubes, no more reloading! And since the retail store I love has Chaos boxes at the same price as Pros, I'll probably grab a case of the Pros, a box of the chaos, and maybe a couple dozen different ball shells, just to mix things up a bit.

Kenny East
05-14-2018, 01:40 AM
I've never had a plug blow out, but I also usual knock the bases off then fill any gap in the bottom with liquid nail... Or epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth.

I love my hdpe racks, but I have to recycle... Can't just dispose of perfectly good fiberglass. I even use cardboard at least once.

FireworkNewbie
05-14-2018, 05:31 AM
Curious, when a plug blows out, what does that situation look like? As if one blows up in the tube?

upNdown
05-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Curious, when a plug blows out, what does that situation look like? As if one blows up in the tube?

No, nothing that dramatic. Just that the concrete plug would unseat itself from the bottom of the tube and be wedged up a little higher. So when you drop it the next shell, it won't fall all the way to the bottom, resulting in diminished lift and low break.

FireworkNewbie
05-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Oh ok, I was worried how that would affect the rack it might be in. As far as low breaks, it got me thinking... how big is the break circumference for a regular 60g can? Is there a standard measurement for them?

pitts
05-16-2018, 05:11 PM
That is funny. "Seem to be the only ones".

don't know whats so funny by it, I know most of these things are all the same, But I have had Exterminators, Excals and a few others that have been great one year and lousy the next

Backyardboom
05-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Consistency means quality year after year, and bigs pro are pretty much a lock you won’t get crap one year.