PDA

View Full Version : MJG quickfire clips

Jay_
04-21-2018, 09:44 AM
I'm looking to put a few consumer cakes in my pyro musical, but I'm needing instant ignition on them if possible.

Has anybody used the quickfire clips from MJG and if so did they work for you? Is there any additional delay associated with the clips?

Is there any better way to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Rick_In_Tampa
04-21-2018, 11:00 AM
I bought a ton of those to use last year and never did. I found it was easier and more effective to just poke the cake, insert the initiator directly into the lift charge, and cover it with a piece of "Dave's magic tape."

Putting a clip between the initiator and the cake just adds another point of failure IMHO.

Jay_
04-21-2018, 11:17 AM
Thanks Rick, was wondering if that was a reliable option as well.

sounds easy enough!

Zippster
04-21-2018, 01:35 PM
I believe the point of the clip was to ease worries of directly inserting the ematch into powder and concerns people had with detonation. I used these last year and found them real easy once you got the hang of them. Gave me piece of mind and had no failures at all.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Thanks Rick, was wondering if that was a reliable option as well.

sounds easy enough!

It's extremely easy and very reliable. I shot over 200 cakes last year and didn't have a single failure due to the initiator being inserted incorrectly. Just buy a brass poke (you can get one for like $5.) and poke it and match it. Boom. Done.

Proudpapa
04-20-2019, 02:26 PM
I also bought a bunch of them and found it much easier to just poke the cake and insert the match and tape.

displayfireworks1
04-20-2019, 08:53 PM
It took me a minute to find it. Here is my video from 2016. It is just one of a few ways to go about firing a product with a firing system. I think these are great for new to electrical firing users, now that the MJG Initiators can be purchase without an ATF license

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-PwwJNs3zU

Rick_In_Tampa
04-21-2019, 01:46 AM
I've used those clips before. They worked fine, but to be honest, you get the same effect if you just put the shroud of the initiator over the visco and tape it up. Cut the visco to expose some fresh powder first, and you shouldn't have any problem passing fire. This applies to mortars. If you're trying to light cakes, poke the cake and insert that initiator. Done.

Bad Alibi Scott
04-21-2019, 01:44 PM
I used some of the ematch clips last year on some smaller 200g cakes and they worked great. I only used them if I couldn't poke the cake due to the size of the tube. Otherwise poke the cake and insert the match with the shroud is the way to go.

displayfireworks1
04-21-2019, 08:06 PM
If the current electric match cover was twice as long it would be perfect to slide it over green fuse on a consumer product.

jamisonlm3
04-21-2019, 10:34 PM
I think the current stuff is enough for a piece of fuse. Cut it at a sharp angle and you should be able to wedge in. It worked with with my yellow fast fuse.

Robbro097
04-22-2019, 12:25 AM
I think the current stuff is enough for a piece of fuse. Cut it at a sharp angle and you should be able to wedge in. It worked with with my yellow fast fuse.

This is what i do with grey quickfuse and has worked very well i think it was mayb 1 outta 20 or so have failed to light n just charred fuse and that may well just have been me in a hurry not getting it seated right.