PDA

View Full Version : Rack from existing tubes

pitts
04-11-2018, 04:18 PM
going to build a poor mans rack from existing tubes from kits from last year, any ideas as the best way? Was just planning on liquid nails and screwing the bases down to 3 quarter inch plywood

jamisonlm3
04-11-2018, 06:53 PM
That would work. I think most people use a 2x4 or 2x3 for the bottom. If you have the tools, you can trim the bases so you can fit them closer together and then screw/glue them. You can trim them so close that you can build a normal rack with them. Another way people do it is to knock the bases off of them and build a rack around them. If you really wanted to, you could also knock the bases off and the plugs out. Then, you put a wooden plug in them. That's what I did, but it's a lot of trouble. It does save a little bit of weight since the plugs are usually 2" of concrete.

Robbro097
04-11-2018, 07:08 PM
I like to knock the bases off and coat bottom with liquid nails and glue down to a piece of cardboard and build a more traditional rack theyv held up good for me thats what i do these days. I don't know if liquidnails/cardboard make a difference but I like it. Iv also built plenty when I was starting out just screwing em down to 2x4s are best easiest. heavy plywoods worked well form me too 3/4in but screws always stick out the bottom a bit so only good on grass and tougher to store. Bases came loose b4 any prob w screws in plywood would seperate. Just stay away from practical/osb board after a few uses the board startes to seperate.

Kenny East
04-12-2018, 02:39 AM
I usually knock the bases off, fill any empty space at the bottom with liquid nail... Then build a traditional rack. Starting out I used to screw them to plywood but they take up a lot of space when all out together... And usually fairly heavy. Racks remove the extra wood weight, and keeps it nice and dense for easier storage.

NorthernKYPyro
04-12-2018, 09:34 AM
With the fiberglass tubes I find that the particle board bases like to fall out, so I remove them and fill whatever is left with hot glue to become level. After that I build the rack just like how I would for a DR11 tube. If you plan on reloading I'd r commend something other than hot glue, but it shouldn't melt if you only plan on shooting one shell out of each tube. If you get the excel tubes what I do is screw them down and grind the screw heads flush on both sides. Then cut a piece of wood to go above them. I typically mark the top of each tube with chalk powder and lay the board on so I know where to cut. The end goal is to have a sandwhich of wood above and below the plastic bases. As far as bracing the space that's naturally between the tubes is more than adequate for rebar or wood stakes, whichever you prefer. Good luck!