PDA

View Full Version : Do longer (5 inch) shells launch higher and break wider?

upNdown
04-04-2018, 03:39 PM
I've read some comments here saying that it's just marketing crap - that 60 grams is 60 grams - but I've also read that how those 60 grams are packed can make a big difference. So is it possible that 5 inch shells are better than 4 inch shell's?
This is just my 3rd year. Two years ago I used excalibur shells, which were awesome. Last year I used Big Pro shells which were awesome. I'll probably uses one or the other this year, but I was thinking about grabbing some of the longer shells too, like the American Super Shells or Echo in the Ear, or anything else that somebody tells me is awesome.
This guy says (at the one minute mark) that the longer shells make them travel higher and break wider - is he lying?
https://youtu.be/jrIUQhcQ9ZE

PyroJoeNEPA
04-04-2018, 03:54 PM
I won't say he is lying==if both shells weigh the same & have the same amount of lift--the 5" will be at least 1" higher than the 4" canister.
But in all seriousness---there is sooooo much marketing hype with consumer shells. Find the brand and effects you like & use them. There is no secrets in the construction of shells---you need a certain amount of compound for lift, break, & effects. Most 60 gram cans come in at 54-56 grams to be sure they make it thru the CPSC & other "alphabet' scrutiny.
You will find the overall break of a canister is "sloppy" symmetrically compared to the nice round breaks you get from the ball shells---but the ball shells can not hold the composition the cans do. Add some ball shells into the mix and you will see some nice things happening in the sky.
Don't overthink it & have fun!!!

Kenny East
04-04-2018, 04:33 PM
There are some great 4" and 5" cans out there but most are kinda the same. Some are loaded, some are more cardboard and clay... Pop the top disc off, many have about 3/4" of empty space under it. So it's basically just another inch of cardboard tube.

MtnViewPyro
04-04-2018, 10:58 PM
I purchased several different shells and “sizes” for the new year. I had two different 5 inch shells and around 4 different regular can shells by different brands. Very little difference if at all. The only cool thing about one of the 5 inch shells was it offered color changing shells. Out of all of the shells, Demon Shells came out victorious in my book.

PyroDre
04-05-2018, 11:25 AM
one of these days i'm going to do a proper demo of these shells, i have several different types....i would have to go to Arkansas because they literally have no rules on fireworks

but in my experience 5" shells break a little lower, not by much but it's noticeable..... making it seem like the breaks are bigger. personally i'd rather have shell break higher for safety reasons.

jamisonlm3
04-05-2018, 01:37 PM
There really is alot of marketing when it comes to 5" shells. Most of it is BS IMHO. There's limits on how much can go into these shells and adding another inch to a 4" shell that could already hole the limit is pointless. There's alot of smoke and mirrors when in comes to fireworks marketing.

Kenny East
04-05-2018, 02:40 PM
The low breaks was my issue with raging bull shells, too many effects still burning when they hit the ground.

MaxSzek1
04-05-2018, 08:51 PM
I don't think its worth buying 5 inch shell I would go with a 4 inch 60 gram. Also what are you guys favorite canister?

jknepp1954
04-05-2018, 10:07 PM
If you all could come to my open shoot night before the demo night - we could all find out. MAY 4
Shoot arack of regular can shells - then shoot a rack of 5" cans...

Kenny East
04-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Gotta do the racks... Side by side, similar effects fired in pairs of two.. One 4 and one 5... See how they preform, head to head.

I usually shoot whatever I get a better deal on... Pro shells, weapons of Beowulf, echo in the ear, Excalibur, lock and load... The list goes on. I like the large breaks and sound of cans but for effects, patterns or symmetrical breaks I use ball shells or behai style cans/egg shells

upNdown
04-06-2018, 10:56 AM
You will find the overall break of a canister is "sloppy" symmetrically compared to the nice round breaks you get from the ball shells
Seems like that's the conventional wisdom, but I'm guessing all ball shells aren't created equal. I've watched a bunch of videos of the 1.4 ball shells that are available, and I don't really see it.

PyroDre
04-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Gotta do the racks... Side by side, similar effects fired in pairs of two.. One 4 and one 5... See how they preform, head to head.

I usually shoot whatever I get a better deal on... Pro shells, weapons of Beowulf, echo in the ear, Excalibur, lock and load... The list goes on. I like the large breaks and sound of cans but for effects, patterns or symmetrical breaks I use ball shells or behai style cans/egg shells

with a stationary camera.. i see too many people swerving the camera back and forth trying to film the lift out of the tube.....

oh and the main reason i like pro shells are because they seem to be less messy..that glossy paper that some shells have tend not to burn up all the way

jamisonlm3
04-06-2018, 10:42 PM
Ball shells have their own problems. Personally, I'd just buy canisters. If you guys know of any ball shells that are as good as Shogun's older Fix'in to Fire, let me know. Also, seems that 5" shells might be the old thing soon. Red Apple is coming out with 6" canister (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aJI6pPipFI) shells now.

Kenny East
04-07-2018, 03:23 AM
Depth alone by winda is pretty good, never had a bad magnus shell, there are a few good ball shells out but there are also a lot of junk when it comes to ball shells... Many that are way under filled. Not pasted very well, and break just as sloppy as a can, just smaller.

Pyroman5000
04-08-2018, 03:40 PM
A good can shell also is continuum by pyro planet. If you can get them where you live give them a shot you won’t be disappointed. I don’t really see any difference between the 4 inch cans in the 5 inch cans. Just like everything else you got good ones and bad ones.

joewad
04-13-2018, 06:55 PM
Length of your 1.4 canisters really won't make that much of a difference. Find a product you like and try to balance it with your budget (like that's gonna happen). Now if you want to make a difference by adding some inches try adding them to your guns. I remember some time ago watching a youtube video and I believe Dave even commented on it regarding if he had considered a 1.3 license. It was a gentleman from Florida whom had a "ton" of 1.4 product going up with timing fuse and no electronics or remotes. Some of his guns were homemade and several feet long if I remember correctly. Reported height increase was tremendous and sound effect ripping thru the gun noticeable. Maybe someone can find the link and post, it was quite an effort.

displayfireworks1
04-13-2018, 07:34 PM
What funny is, I just read the first post in this thread and all I read quickly near the end was "Is he lying?" and I saw a YouTube link. Without going any further the name Doug popped into my head. LOL Then I click on the YouTube link. LOL

displayfireworks1
04-13-2018, 09:21 PM
I should add to the post the race for the largest canister shell is on . however this race is nothing new. Remember the 8, 10 and 12 ball shells. The reality is we all know any legal artillery shell canister or otherwise can only have a certain amount of composition by weight no matter how many inches it is or how many breaks it has. Remember the average once a year fireworks buyer has no idea how all of this works. They most likely will think the 6 inch shells are better because they are larger.

Kenny East
04-14-2018, 06:40 AM
Those shells where each break has like 2grams of composition... Breaks about as hard as a snap pop...lol when I was much younger, thought those were so cool. Convinced my parents to buy some... Would have been better off with a few boxes of cheap $5 ball shells. 3 breaks is almost too much for consumer limits.

I want to know how the construction of these longer shells is going to work... You can put 60grams in a 4" long shell. ... So how do you put the same 60 grams into a 6" shell. Aside from an extra 2" clay plug. .. Though if they make the walls of the tube about 1/2" thick. .. May be able to have composition from one end to the other. May need some extra to break the stronger shell though.

MtnViewPyro
04-22-2018, 02:15 PM
I've read some comments here saying that it's just marketing crap - that 60 grams is 60 grams - but I've also read that how those 60 grams are packed can make a big difference. So is it possible that 5 inch shells are better than 4 inch shell's?
This is just my 3rd year. Two years ago I used excalibur shells, which were awesome. Last year I used Big Pro shells which were awesome. I'll probably uses one or the other this year, but I was thinking about grabbing some of the longer shells too, like the American Super Shells or Echo in the Ear, or anything else that somebody tells me is awesome.
This guy says (at the one minute mark) that the longer shells make them travel higher and break wider - is he lying?
https://youtu.be/jrIUQhcQ9ZE

I shot off one of those 5” shells this weekend. Here is the video, forward to the end of the video.
https://youtu.be/1IkLqwddJu4

displayfireworks1
04-22-2018, 06:46 PM
The only way to find out what is really going on in these 5 and 6 inch canister artillery shells is to open one up. Its a great marketing strategy because everyone on social media is talking about them. I was at a retail outlet that sells multiple brands once and when i went to the artillery shell section. I could not believe how many different ones are out there. It has to be confusing to the once a year novice user. The marketing strategy is to make them think something along the lines of ... May as well get these because they are bigger than all the others.
As soon as I get my hands on these 5 and now 6 inch shells I'm tearing one apart. LOL

The Don
04-22-2018, 11:32 PM
60 grams is 60 grams. On compliant shells I've yet to see a 5 inch or bigger beat out a standard sized can shell.

MtnViewPyro
04-29-2018, 03:54 PM
Here is another 5” I got my hands on.

https://youtu.be/ciojaPPI03w

jamisonlm3
04-29-2018, 10:51 PM
I saw a demo video of those shells. They look like very nice shells. Having correct labels and matched to the box is bonus. I still don't see many wholesaler selling Pyro Demon stuff.

MtnViewPyro
04-29-2018, 11:03 PM
Yeah I liked them. I haven’t shot off one excal yet from my recent purchase that was labeled correctly lol. It’s ok cause I don’t plan on ever put them in a show but if I did I would be very unhappy. For the price I gave for the excal, you would think they would at minimum have the correct label. I don’t have many options of brands in my area and I have never seen Pyro Demon anywhere. Without the internet, we would still be stuck in the 80’s here.