PDA

View Full Version : Exterminator shells

pitts
04-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Used to love these and then they became kinda weak, but have heard they have made a strong comeback, anyone know? Also, seems like Reaper and Aftermath shells are the exact same thing, Anyone??

pimpdaddee28
04-01-2018, 11:02 AM
The last time I shot Exterminators was back in 2015 (maybe 2016, but I'm not a 100% sure). The one's I got were from BJ Alan and they came 18 shells to a kit and had the Phantom label on it (lol). Those performed VERY WELL for me, but I couldn't tell ya anything about the years after. I got those exact same shells from 2014 to 2016 (I keep thinking that the shell kit in 2016 was a leftover from my 2015 case though). So, I guess 2016 and 2017 is unknown to me in terms of performance.

jknepp1954
04-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Wasn't Exterminator shells a Megabanger product? I got them when Bigs had them - but that was like 5 yr ago?

ilovecrackle
04-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Wasn't Exterminator shells a Megabanger product? I got them when Bigs had them - but that was like 5 yr ago?

Yeah, exterminators were a megabanger product.
Same here, I got some 5+ years ago from them as well. BIG hasn't carried them in quite some time now.

PTFan
04-01-2018, 06:33 PM
I shot the 24 pack back in '16, thought they were fine but my supplier doesn't stock them anymore.

beaver nation
04-02-2018, 08:50 AM
last year one main factory that made the exterminator shell also made: Excalibur, Cutting edge 60g shells, Reaper's doom (alien brand), Shells of vengence (alien brand), peony killer, the judge artillery (texas outlaw/red rhino), and sinister shells (krazy kaplans)

a second factory making the Exterminator canisters also made: Diablo (Black cat).

pimpdaddee28
04-02-2018, 11:37 AM

They are indeed, but Phantom likes to take certain items and either re-name them or re-brand them with their own logo. They're definitely made by Megabanger, but Phantom sometimes likes to copycat, lol.

Plus, the Phantom labeled ones are the only Exterminator shells that are available in Ohio.

displayfireworks1
04-02-2018, 06:58 PM
The market in canister artillery shells is very congested. I am not sure if anyone can make any rhyme or reason out of it. It would be interesting to observe how an average once a year consumer users decides which ones to purchase. This is where a good sales person working in the showroom can be very helpful.

pimpdaddee28
04-04-2018, 10:30 PM
The market in canister artillery shells is very congested. I am not sure if anyone can make any rhyme or reason out of it. It would be interesting to observe how an average once a year consumer users decides which ones to purchase. This is where a good sales person working in the showroom can be very helpful.

A lot of pyro youtubers (including myself) like to do comparisons between different shells. I know most people will say that for the most part, there isn't much of a difference between many of the top shells on the market (and to some extent, that's true). But there is something to be said for the inconsistent quality control on a year to year basis with many of these shells. Fireworks in general (including canister shells), just don't perform the same way every year. Some perform worse than in previous years, some perform better (although that doesn't happen anywhere near as much). Like for example, the 2012 Excals will beat the 2012 Exterminators, but the 2014 versions of both of these shells will prove quite the opposite. Or you could also say that the 2017 version of the 5 Inch American Super Shells are better than most of the other top canister shells on the market.

This is an important variable that many average consumers tend to ask me about and the only way to prove which ones are the best, is by comparing them to each other.

MaxSzek1
04-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Yeah I would say any 60 gram canister is a 60 gram canister for the most part some people would like to argue but that's my personal thought

yoshisbar
04-05-2018, 09:08 PM

Being as you say "once a year consumer user" being I buy all my shows 1 time early for the best price, with a type 54 also. I will say, I have been searching around this year. And a good sales person is key, but also a good price is also. Been emailing a lot of people (with some blowing up my phone calling me) and searching a lot of advertisers. Cans are cans, but price and quality are the difference. I AM an Excal Guy, for years.. But I did try a few others last year and standing back and seeing not a lot of difference, this year I am after price and how many I can get.. Some places are 20% higher some the same, so yea the best salesman is getting my $1000+ 1.4 budget

pyrophil
04-07-2018, 05:22 PM
So many variables with the manufacturing process in China which can affect performance from shell to shell, year to year. As simple as the worker in China was having an off day and half-assed through the shell making process to the product being prematurely packaged and shipped before drying properly, which is common.