PDA

View Full Version : why do so many shell kits not have the effect labeled on each shell?

Icooclast
03-29-2018, 04:52 AM
i realize this would up the price a few bucks, but it'd be worth a little price increase just to see which effects i like. so, i can get more. lol. i know xcals are labeled, so are some of the other bigger shells. however; on the mid-low end shell kits, (by mid-to low end, i mean less than 60 gr cans) they usually are just wrapped in different paper. any ideas of how to find out the effect before i light it? or is it some sort of chinese color coding system?

Kenny East
03-29-2018, 06:53 AM
Some have numbers to indicate what shells they are, but only the manufacturer knows what each one is. Same thing for the different color foil wraps on some shells, or different colored string on some ball shells. I see quite a few mislabeled effects on even better shells, some factories are really good about it while others just slap labels on and call it good. Most premium ball shell kits by major brands have some ball shells that are labeled for effects.. But it's not as standard as labels on cans.

Could hit up their company Facebook page or send them an email, though I suspect that the effects are what ever they throw in a box. I've had whole boxes of assorted festival balls that were all blue with crackle... No assortment on those I guess.

Mattp
03-29-2018, 09:58 AM
. I see quite a few mislabeled effects on even better shells, some factories are really good about it while others just slap labels on and call it good. .

Yes!! Was going to say same exact thing.. Alot of the time the labels ate wrong anyway.. i also feel alot the 1.4 effects are almost exactly the same with slight variation. Unless it is a unique effect that really stands out

Icooclast
03-29-2018, 10:43 AM
Yes!! Was going to say same exact thing.. Alot of the time the labels ate wrong anyway.. i also feel alot the 1.4 effects are almost exactly the same with slight variation. Unless it is a unique effect that really stands out

i notice this with most pro and consumer fireworks. it's all more of the same. year after year. you'd figure that they'd be trying to make brand new effects every year, like most products do.

Pyroman5000
03-29-2018, 02:01 PM
I really like some of the ball shell kits that have no label but show the effects on the side of the box. Then when you shoot them off they look nothing like what they say they should haha.

Icooclast
03-29-2018, 05:59 PM
I really like some of the ball shell kits that have no label but show the effects on the side of the box. Then when you shoot them off they look nothing like what they say they should haha.

i've noticed that too. lol

Kenny East
03-30-2018, 04:46 AM
When they show a picture of an 8" white strobe with big blue pistol, you can almost guess that the pic on the box is nonsense. Some are pretty close while others show whatever stock photos they have laying around. Even watching videos of products online poses the issue, misidentified cakes/shells, variations of cakes/shells made under the same name. Comet rider... I've seen like 5 cakes all named comet rider, and only one that actually had comets.

I've tried planning chains by effects and color, never fails I always end up with a few that are not what the label said. Most of the time no one other than my self or maybe one of my family members notice. Just as long as it goes up and boom their happy.

Mattp
03-30-2018, 06:35 AM
I've tried planning chains by effects and color, never fails I always end up with a few that are not what the label said. Most of the time no one other than my self or maybe one of my family members notice. Just as long as it goes up and boom their happy.

Exactly right!!! Were most likely the only ones who care or notice.. but it is annoying when your trying to do what your head is visualizing

Rocketshooter
03-30-2018, 03:52 PM
i realize this would up the price a few bucks, but it'd be worth a little price increase just to see which effects i like. so, i can get more. lol. i know xcals are labeled, so are some of the other bigger shells. however; on the mid-low end shell kits, (by mid-to low end, i mean less than 60 gr cans) they usually are just wrapped in different paper. any ideas of how to find out the effect before i light it? or is it some sort of chinese color coding system?

Since most consumer shells are shot by casual shooters looking to blow some stuff up on the 4th, it is not a priority to to have the shells labeled. For the hobbyist trying
to use specific effects in a show, it can be a PITA. Most of the 60gm cans are labeled however.

ilovecrackle
03-30-2018, 11:40 PM
Since most consumer shells are shot by casual shooters looking to blow some stuff up on the 4th, it is not a priority to to have the shells labeled. For the hobbyist trying
to use specific effects in a show, it can be a PITA. Most of the 60gm cans are labeled however.

Yeah, that was my thinking as well.

Kenny East
03-31-2018, 01:51 AM
Purple, purple/green/yellow, purple, purple/gold, red with crackle.... It was going so well too. I will still try to pair effects, to make it look nicer and keep effects from stepping on each other. But consumer isn't the place for precision, unless you're talking about articles pyrotechnics... Which is a whole different animal.

One of these years, I will shoot a 10 minute finale style show.... Everything up in 10 mins or less... 100% sky puke, ending with a case of TKs and some salutes. It's a real PITA as you say, would be nice to just do a load and shoot show again.

ilovecrackle
04-01-2018, 12:12 AM
One of these years, I will shoot a 10 minute finale style show.... Everything up in 10 mins or less... 100% sky puke, ending with a case of TKs and some salutes. It's a real PITA as you say, would be nice to just do a load and shoot show again.

I kinda did that this past NYE. But it was kind of a controlled puke if that makes any sense. lol
Shot from one station 4 of the same cake at the same time. It was finale paced but not a puke so the breaks were not all over each other washing each other out. You could still see each individual break.
Turned out pretty good in my opinion.