PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Site Team Communications Equip

vegassalute
03-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Hey guys, I'd love to hear your recommendations for good two-way radios systems. I need to upgrade my equipment this year and am looking for a good clear system that is small enough to wear and be out of the way yet powerful enough for all members of the shoot crew to remain in good, clear communication throughout the day. Optimally, I'd like one system to be able to navigate small shoot sights as well as more complex, multi-location shoot sites. What brands & makes have you had good luck with? Thanks!

Mattp
03-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Havent used alot of them myself.. but i think Motorola makes some good ones.

Kenny East
03-23-2018, 05:32 AM
The factory I work for uses Motorola radios, I've got a set of Midlands and their not the greatest... The Motorola radios have better clarity and seem more durable. We drop them/have them get snagged while climbing into machines and they hold up well. The Midlands eat through batteries and don't have the clarity or range

PyroJoeNEPA
03-23-2018, 11:38 AM
The company I shoot for has a 10-12 Motorolas--they are the high end ones--I personally have two--I will post a picture when I get a chance to take a shot of them. They are great units--the same as our local fire co uses [a couple of the FD guys shoot with us]. Range is excellent--we use them between vehicles while traveling--can talk several miles with them....but, like I said, they are $$$$$.
Motorola does make a lot of other less expensive two way radios. Do a Google search & you will see what I mean. Like a shooting system---you get what you pay for. A good comm system is an equipment investment just like all your other pyro stuff.

hatsgoods
03-23-2018, 03:32 PM
I use COBRA brand radios. They work great and you can have as many as you want on one channel to communicate at muti locations

liame
03-23-2018, 08:14 PM
what is the max are you think your will need covered? will it be in rural areas or urban areas? do you have a fcc liscense or are you planning on getting one?

bohicarlp
03-23-2018, 09:12 PM
I have to agree with hatsgoods on the cobra. In my line of work Cobra Cxt have been durable and pretty clear. They have been dropped, kicked, in water, fallen off bumpers of trucks while driving off site. And so far so good. Depending on your budget that is my recomendation.

vegassalute
03-23-2018, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the great recommendations guys!

PyroJoeNEPA
03-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Sorry it took a couple days to get back on this post. Had a club shoot last night--lots of stuff in the sky!!!
Here are the two Motorola radios I own: The black XTS 3000 is the same as the ones our company uses when shooting for the crew. The yellow XTS 5000R has more "bells & whistles". Both can use the optional remote mike/speaker so the radio can stay on your belt. 12 volt charger is pictured. There is a desk top AC multi unit base charger for the other radios.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2911&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2912&stc=1