PDA

View Full Version : 5" gone wrong

Mattp
03-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Found this video from a few years ago..i almost forgot about it.. this was one of those oh shit moments.. that made me step up my game safety wise. Which in turn allowed me to step up my game show wise. This was also the last year i shot an entire show in the street.. which is what you have to do where i live.. the video isnt best quality as we werent expecting this.. it was a 5" canister that i may have loaded upside down.. but i honestly think it was a defect.. if you listen closely you can hear the time between lift and break is almost immediate!!

https://youtu.be/nso3jLjOxnw

ilovecrackle
03-23-2018, 12:30 AM
It sounded to me like a defective shell. Like you said, the lift and break was almost Immediate.
If you had loaded it upside down, there would have been at least a 2-3 second delay from lift to break.

Glad no one got hurt. And glad to hear you have used this as a learning experience and now incorporating other safety practices into your shooting. :)
I'm sure you have heard this before but distance is your friend. :)

Mattp
03-23-2018, 07:06 AM
Yes i agree.. . Im pretty sure it was.. plus i hate to think i was dumb enough to load it upside down.. lol.. but is still def a possiblity.. shooting in a street where no one has a property bigger than 50x100' including the houses.. most of the people watching and shooting were no more than 30' away.. now looking back i know how insane that is.. was in a steel pipe Too ..luckily it went up and out instead of sending shrapnel out.. very happy that not long thereafter my brother bought a decent size property in PA.. which is where we moved our 4th of july party to!!!!

ilovecrackle
03-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Yeah, friends become enemy's real quick when someone gets hurt or damage is done to their property.
Good call on moving to the larger property. :)

Northern Sky
03-26-2018, 09:17 AM
Pmed instead,.