PDA

View Full Version : Mortar tubs

Pyroman5000
03-17-2018, 05:20 PM
What do people prefer fiberglass tubes or HDPE tubes? I seem to have trouble with the fiberglass tubes coming apart and wearing. The HDPE tubs last a long time I never had one I needed to replace. Now the problem I am having is that it cost almost as much to ship the HDPE tubs as it does to buy them. Does anyone know of a good place to buy them from that don’t kill you on the shipping? I can take a short drive and buy the fiberglass tubes and that’s in the reason I buy them but would rather have the HDPE tubes.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-17-2018, 06:59 PM
What do people prefer fiberglass tubes or HDPE tubes? I seem to have trouble with the fiberglass tubes coming apart and wearing. The HDPE tubs last a long time I never had one I needed to replace. Now the problem I am having is that it cost almost as much to ship the HDPE tubs as it does to buy them. Does anyone know of a good place to buy them from that don’t kill you on the shipping? I can take a short drive and buy the fiberglass tubes and that’s in the reason I buy them but would rather have the HDPE tubes.
You really did not say if you were talking about 1.4g or 1.3g tubes---but since the post is in the "Consumer Fireworks" section I will assume you are talking about 1.4g Dr11 HDPE tubes.
Check with Eric at PYROBOOM. http://www.pyroboom.com
He is one of the nicest guys in the business and will take good care of you.

About your original comments---if your fiberglass tubes are just fraying slightly at the top, you can hit them with the flame from a Bernzomatic
torch & burn off the loose fiberglass threads. This only works if they are small slivers. Tubes are relatively inexpensive. HDPE will last you a very long time if properly cared for.

displayfireworks1
03-17-2018, 08:21 PM
I'm curious do you subscribe to my YouTube videos and if so how long have you subscribed? I just announced pyroboom.com had a sale on mortars and racks that included free shipping with a minimal purchase. Are those fiberglass tubes you are currently using from shell kits or purchase elsewhere?

Kenny East
03-17-2018, 09:17 PM
Pyroboom for the win on shipping for sure.
As for preference, I've got a few hundred hdpe Dr11 and a few hundred fiberglass consumer size tubes... Both work great, but I don't leave the fiberglass in the sun or sitting out to the elements. I bought a ton of fiberglass due to it being very affordable when I started building racks.
Fiberglass is itchy, cheap, and won't last but it's a great way to start.

chrish
03-17-2018, 09:38 PM
I just subscribed to the youtube channel an hour ago.
I have been looking for some kind of sale from pyroboom for a month or so. or at least something that might help with shipping.

I know I have ordered a lot from those guys, but I need another 50 or so mortars.

is this a special pyrotalk coupon to use with pyroboom?

chris

pyroboom
03-17-2018, 09:40 PM
If you are in Western PA, then you are not far from me (Pyroboom). Shipping is high, no doubt. The size of the box and weight add up quickly. Sadly there is a fair amount of wasted space when shipping any type of round tube. I personally use HDPE. Go with what works for you. Some people love fiberglass.

There are no sales right now. I highly doubt there will be tons of sales between now and 7/4 for any firework related vendor. Look for sales from September to February. Shipping 50 tubes won't be that bad.

chrish
03-17-2018, 10:30 PM
well, at least that answers my question and I can stop waiting. I will go ahead and put my order in.
my wife always likes when a box of 50 mortars shows up.

thanks for the heads up

Pyroman5000
03-17-2018, 11:51 PM
I'm curious do you subscribe to my YouTube videos and if so how long have you subscribed? I just announced pyroboom.com had a sale on mortars and racks that included free shipping with a minimal purchase. Are those fiberglass tubes you are currently using from shell kits or purchase elsewhere?

Yes I am a subscriber but I must of missed that video. As for the fiberglass tubes they are from shell kits and I have got some from bigs. After a while they both did the same thing. They start to fall apart at the bottom.

MtnViewPyro
03-18-2018, 01:09 AM
Always enjoyed getting shipments from Pyroboom. Just can tell when people care about their customers.

Icooclast
03-18-2018, 05:40 AM
personally i have never used fiberglass tubes. but i know i really like HDPE. it may be more expensive, but it lasts longer and it can take a shells going off in it (within reason) where as other tubes just blow apart. and let's face it we are all human and mistakes/unforseen circumstances can happen at any time. so, just for my piece of mind, i always feel better with HDPE. not that i will only use it. but i prefer it.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-19-2018, 02:57 PM
If you're even remotely skilled you might consider buying some HDPE pipe from a plumbing supply company near you and making your own tubes. That would be a great way to cut down or eliminate your shipping costs altogether.

vegassalute
03-19-2018, 07:44 PM
If you're even remotely skilled you might consider buying some HDPE pipe from a plumbing supply company near you and making your own tubes. That would be a great way to cut down or eliminate your shipping costs altogether.

Right on brother. That is my next project. I've always purchased my HDPE mortars already cut & plugged from various suppliers. I always justified the shipping costs because of the convenience factor. I'm going to cut & plug my own on my next rack-building weekend. I remember seeing an awesome photo from PyroDad when he bought a ton of HDPE on a trailer for making mortars. I have to say the family that owns PyroBoom has always provided great service time and fair prices.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-20-2018, 01:26 PM
I bought all my tubes from PyroBoom as well. Quick, easy, cheapest prices I've found. Like you, I'm all about convenience. I could probably save a ton by making my own, but, I just don't have the resources/equipment, or inclination to get my hands that dirty. I do admire those of you that do!

Mattp
03-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Ive actually been wanted to make some of my own too.. i have bought all the ones i have so far, but made the racks.. Anyone know the right sized hole saw to use for the dr11 plugs??? I have a 2" hole saw.. but do believe the I.D is to small .. i may need to buy a 2 1/8" but not sure yet.

jamisonlm3
03-20-2018, 07:33 PM
I've plugged fiberglass and HDPE mortars with 3 sizes of hole saws. For DR11 HDPE mortars, a 2-1/8" hole saw works good. Put a good chamfer on one end and pound them in. For fiberglass mortars, a 2" and 2-1/16" hole saws are what I've used. These were the mortars you get with shell kits and some I was given. I suggest cutting a plug of each size and then test fit those into each mortar to see how it fits. Sand down the OD if necessary. Idealy, you just want to have to tap them in. A snug fit, without them being undersized is what you're looking for. One note about fiberglass mortars. They are not as forgiving as HDPE mortars which will just stretch with a plug that's slightly too large. Fiberglass mortars will split. When you making them, I suggest using a drill press and a dust mask. Use good, name brand hole saws and don't drill all the way through witht he pilot bit.

Mattp
03-20-2018, 08:09 PM
Great advice, thanks.. i already have a good 2"lenox hole saw..and I'm using hdpe.. so hopefully that should work good then.. if i was to buy two more imcremental sizes of good brand bits .. i may as well just buy the plugs premade.. lol.. but having new tools is always good too!!! My brother has a press was going to use his.. would think with using a press you shouldn't need the pilot bit at all.. but yes. I will take it out once i make the initial ring.. thanks again for the info

Rick_In_Tampa
03-20-2018, 08:13 PM
See... That's a bridge too far for me. I'd have to buy the plugs. Lol...

Mattp
03-20-2018, 08:22 PM
See... That's a bridge too far for me. I'd have to buy the plugs. Lol...

Haha. I totally get it rick.. .but i am a general construction carpenter by trade.. so i have no excuse as to why i cant do it myself... And I have plenty of scrap wood laying around.

Rick_In_Tampa
03-20-2018, 08:40 PM
Well that makes a huge difference then! I'm a data analyst which means I'm basically qualified to use my debit card for everything I need. And if the grid ever goes down, I'm going to be one of the first to die.

jamisonlm3
03-20-2018, 09:52 PM
It is very time consuming. Personally, HDPE all the way. It's far, far more forgiving and pleasant to work with. I did it because I had the mortars and wanted to lessen the weight of one of my 24 shot racks that was nothing but fiberglass mortars. There's a 2" concrete plug that they put in the bottom of fiberglass mortars. I think I helped. My guess is it weighs around 20-25lbs now.

Icooclast
03-20-2018, 11:36 PM
Well that makes a huge difference then! I'm a data analyst which means I'm basically qualified to use my debit card for everything I need. And if the grid ever goes down, I'm going to be one of the first to die.

don't worry rick, the only job i've had was a dishwasher, so i'd be in that mass-grave with ya 'come the end of the modern world scenario.

Mattp
03-21-2018, 08:25 AM
Hahaha.. you guys are funny!! Normally i would just buy the tubes premade myself.. but i came into some free hdpe leftover on a job. So i decided to try and make a few.. Actually made a few plugs last night after these posts.with a electric drill .. . 2" hole saw does work perfect with a iittle sanding and persuasion.. but it sure is a bit of work.. definitely is alot easier to whip out that debit card!!!

Rick_In_Tampa
03-21-2018, 01:35 PM
definitely is alot easier to whip out that debit card!!!

Welcome to my world!! Lol...

Post some pics so we can see what you made!

Rick_In_Tampa
03-21-2018, 01:40 PM
don't worry rick, the only job i've had was a dishwasher, so i'd be in that mass-grave with ya 'come the end of the modern world scenario.

I'm going to guess that I'm a few decades older than you. That means you still have time to learn these things. I wish I had the time and patience and skills to build what some of these guys build. I have a neighbor who is a master carpenter. He's missing both thumbs. I haven't lost a debit card yet!

Rocketshooter
03-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Most of my consumer racks are HDPE, but it do have some made with recycled kit tubes. They do not last that long but as I am constantly getting in new ones from kits so I can just replace the tubes as they ware out.

Pyroman5000
03-23-2018, 11:09 AM
I would make them but I have a hard time finding a place that carries the HDPE pipe. I found a couple places that can get it but by the time I pay the extra fee I might as well buy them done and ready to go. Lol I’m not having much luck on this subject so it looks like I’m stuck paying the high shipping fee.

Mattp
03-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Yes that gets me too.. is it cost about as much for the shipping as the products themselves.. i missed the pyroboom free ship sale myself... that wouldve been a great time to take advantage.. and it is hard to find a local supplier of it for me too.. so im in the same boat as far as paying for shipping.. another question.. does anybody have a preference to the dr11. 12"or 15" long and why??? .. all of mine are now 12" but was thinking of making the ones im going to make 15"tall.

pyroboom
03-24-2018, 04:36 PM
What's the difference between 12" and 15" DR11?

Some like to use 15" because their shells have a longer leader fuse (i.e. Excals), but it's not a solid reason to buy the 15 inch. It's used for multi-break shells too (like 4 or more, but the 12" still should be fine). There are rumors that the 15" tube will make the shell go higher, but this has never been proven. If it does go higher, I'm thinking it's only like 10 feet. Nothing to write home about. Personally, I only use the 12" mortar tube.

MtnViewPyro
03-24-2018, 04:51 PM
I like to keep my shell tubes 12” because I also use hdpe tubes to shoot comets and they are not the same diameter. The difference is not much and in the dark you could make a mistake. Therefore, my comet tubes are 15” and the 3” length difference is easily noticed. Whenever I get my ATF I’m sure my system will have to change but for now it works.

Mattp
03-24-2018, 10:00 PM
Yes. I saw on pyroboom the 2 different sizes and made me think about it.. Right, i would think some shells may have to small of a fuse for 15" tubes.. if all goes to plan and i get my 54 soon.. i was planning on getting some 1.3g 1.75"shells.. was cuious if that would warrant the 15".. but i kind of doubt that too..

ilovecrackle
03-24-2018, 10:19 PM
was cuious if that would warrant the 15".. but i kind of doubt that too..

Waste of money for the 15" tubes. Many, many moons ago when i first heard all the hype about 15" tubes make the shells go higher, I bought a few 15" tubes to conduct my own "test". I shot the same shells out of 12" and 15" tubes and did not notice any difference in height. I tried numerous brands of shells and achieved the same results.
10 years later, those 15" tubes are still in a tote in the back of my shed never used again since.

Another thing to keep in mind is what Pyroboom mentioned above is the 15" accommodate the longer fuses better without having to cut any extra fuse off. But then when you run into shells that have a shorter fuse (in my experience, usually ball shells) then you have to extend that fuse somehow because the fuse is too short in the 15" tubes. It's a whole heck of a lot easier and quicker snipping off an extra couple inches of fuse then it is adding it.

That"s just my opinion on 12" VS 15". Take it or leave it. haha :)

Mattp
03-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Ha.. yes.. exactly the answers i was looking for.. peoples personal experience/opinions.. sounds like my initial thoughts were right.. no need for the extra 3 inches!!!

ilovecrackle
03-25-2018, 09:07 PM
no need for the extra 3 inches!!!

Your still talking about the mortar tubes right? ;) :D :cool:

Kenny East
03-25-2018, 11:31 PM
The leaders on 1.75" 1.3g shells are like 18" long... I've got a 10 shot made with 16" long tubes that are plugged with a 2" plug... Doesn't make a bit of difference, for shells... Mines work great in the longer tubes. Helps keep the stars/effects going up straight, rather than puking out in a wider pattern. Kinda depends on what you're going for though.

Mattp
03-26-2018, 11:09 AM

Hahaha.. yes.. but my wife would agree with that statement also!!!

Mattp
04-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Ive been meaning to get back to this thread for a month now.. So... after making about 6 of the plugs.. i decided even including the shipping cost.. its well worth it to just buy em.. and they were here in 2 days.. thanks pyroboom!!!! . ill be having a few days coming up to make some racks.. hope to get some photos up soon

pyroboom
04-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Ive been meaning to get back to this thread for a month now.. So... after making about 6 of the plugs.. i decided even including the shipping cost.. its well worth it to just buy em.. and they were here in 2 days.. thanks pyroboom!!!! . ill be having a few days coming up to make some racks.. hope to get some photos up soon

Great to hear!

Icooclast
04-23-2018, 10:08 PM

that is what i was thinking too. we're going to hell aren't we? lol.

secondly: thanks to the topic creator for asking this. i was wondering the same thing. now i have an answer

Garrison
12-07-2018, 09:21 AM
"The fiberglass tubes are a great way to start out" was said in the beginning of this Thread.. where do you get them from...

PyroJoeNEPA
12-07-2018, 03:00 PM
"The fiberglass tubes are a great way to start out" was said in the beginning of this Thread.. where do you get them from...

FireArt--one of the sponsors here sells fiberglass tubes as well as Kellners.Most people use the fiberglass tubes from shell kits and just cut the bases off to rack them up. If I were to buy 1.75" tubes I would recommend getting the HDPE. Both will work fine for you though.
Now, if you were talking about 1.3g product and HDPE vs Fiberglass you will see an endless debate of pros & cons for both.

pyroboom
12-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Shoot me a PM by 12/15 and I'll give a big discount on DR11 12" HDPE tubes. HDPE is the way to go... but I'm a little biased.

BoomPlatoon
12-09-2018, 12:35 PM
You can also check out Facebook groups. I just purchased some already plugged 12" HDPE tubes from a guy and paid $1.20 ea.

Garrison
12-13-2018, 10:39 AM
PM Sent, thank you

PTFan
12-16-2018, 11:38 PM
I have some extra mortar tubes (from open kits) available, pm me if interested?

TIM yoder
07-01-2019, 05:17 PM
hi all how many times can i use Fiberglass tubs

Icooclast
07-01-2019, 05:39 PM
Shoot me a PM by 12/15 and I'll give a big discount on DR11 12" HDPE tubes. HDPE is the way to go... but I'm a little biased.

i've never used fiberglass ones, but so far i prefer HDPE, too. i've had a shell blow up in a cardboard & HDPE tube before, and the HDPE tube contained most of the blast and effect. and the tube wasn't all that damaged, but the plastic base was destroyed, lol. but energy has to go somewhere. since then i'd rather buy the kits that are a little on the expensive side (like excals for example) because they still come with HDPE tubes (last i heard) IMO, HDPE is the way to go if you can afford it, even if you get a little less. but when i get the chance to buy fireworks again, i think i'm going to buy my racks your site.

PYRODAN
07-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Now that's funny right there.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-01-2019, 06:37 PM
Now that's funny right there.

Well, I may have overstated it a tad. I do have a safe full of guns and a closet full of ammo. So technically I won't be the first to die. I'm pretty sure I'll be eating someone else's food for a while. But, after the ammo runs out....