PDA

View Full Version : [Video] 3 Inch shell problem

capsicum
02-26-2018, 12:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9cGsTzek0
Good day everyone, I've attached a video regarding 3 inch shell that i made previously.

Shell Info :
Burst : 2FA, 1.2inch Cannule
Time Fuse : Spolette 3.0sec
Shell Weight : 310gram
Flash/Booster : NONE, no access.
Star Effect : D1 Glitter + Charcoal Streamer ( CUT )
Lift Charge : 2FA, 30gram
Spiking Pattern : Normal, with additional loops
Kraft Paper : 90-120lbs
Shell Casing : 67mm, paste until it fit the mortar

As you can see in the video, the lift for me is great, but is my shell fire a little bit to high? Or it looks small because of weak bp break, less symmetrical?

Does spiking pattern matter to a better symmetrical burst?

i've seen people using cut star can perform as symmetrical as ball shell, so i believe cut star are not really a problem for a better symmetrical burst.

Please do judge on the video, appreciate much for the time to read these. Thank you in advance.

Another shell from the stash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCer2El27tY

Shell Info :
Burst : 2FA, 1.2inch Cannule
Time Fuse : Spolette 3.0sec
Shell Weight : 296 gram
Flash/Booster : NONE, no access.
Star Effect : D1 Glitter + Charcoal Streamer ( CUT )
Lift Charge : 2FA, 30gram
Spiking Pattern : Normal, with additional loops ( Thicker Cotton Twine )
Kraft Paper : 90-120lbs
Shell Casing : 67mm, paste until it fit the mortar

RalphieJ
02-26-2018, 12:38 PM
If you're not happy with that and have any more, I'd be glad to take them off your hands. ;-)

Kenny East
02-26-2018, 02:28 PM
If a symmetrical break is what you're looking for you should try building ball shells instead of canisters. Canister shells generally have sloppier breaks when compared to ball shells. The spiking and pasting can help give you a more symmetrical break. How tight did you pack the stars and break charge, because that can play a part in sloppy breaks. Any open spaces inside the shell should be filled with fine bp. Filling all the voids in a she'll allows you to pull the spiking tight enough without deforming the shell, or reducing the outside diameter by very much. You could look into a stronger break like an H2 or H3 break formula.

displayfireworks1
02-27-2018, 09:48 PM
I see have a maker of fireworks from Malaysia, and have some videos of his work. Thanks Kenny for your answers to his questions.

Kenny East
02-28-2018, 03:44 AM
Sure, everyone has to start somewhere... Advice is free so why not, they looked pretty good for homemade. I remember my first canister shell... Cato, love to see how other countries build their fireworks.

capsicum
03-02-2018, 10:18 AM
Really thank you for all the replies. Appreciate much.

Will be firing more during next year chinese new year!

capsicum
03-02-2018, 10:19 AM
I see have a maker of fireworks from Malaysia, and have some videos of his work. Thanks Kenny for your answers to his questions.

Do you have the videos link or file to be share? I'm quite curious :) Thank you

Kenny East
03-02-2018, 08:37 PM
I will try to find it, he's on a Facebook group firework engineering. Makes some pretty good fireworks for being limited on what he can get.

Kenny East
03-03-2018, 11:28 PM
There are a few guys in the group from that area, the one I was talking about isn't from Malaysia. He's from Myanmar... He lived in Malaysia for a few years. This group has Lot's of formulas for stars and other fireworks... A lot of them are from Mexico and Brazil. The group is https://m.facebook.com/groups/1450541778550025?tsid=0.31767256043907266&source=result. Check them out, great bunch of fireworks enthusiasts.

capsicum
03-04-2018, 10:55 AM
surprisingly i am in the groups years ago. Lots of things i learn from that group. Thank you.

capsicum
03-04-2018, 11:00 AM
I guess i really need some booster for my shells. They don't break big as they should.
In my country, i am only available to Sodium Nitrate, Potassium Nitrate and KCLO3 oxidizer, I know using KCLO3 base is not safe that cause accidentally ignitions. What if i use a paper tissue as a cannule that serve as a booster?

Kenny East
03-04-2018, 11:06 PM
Could always use the tissue to make a small flash bag, potassium nitrate based flash used. If you are using kclo3 use tissue or a thin plastic bag to keep it from mixing with your bp break charge.
H3 break is faster than bp, it's 75% kclo3, 25% hemp or paulownia charcoal, +1-2% rice starch... Usually used to coat rice hulls or similar media to create air voids for a faster burn. A layer of tissue could be used to keep it from contacting the stars. Keep the shell very dry and it should be fine.

capsicum
03-05-2018, 01:33 AM
I only able to get Aluminum -325mesh atomized. If it can be use, i guess i can avoid kclo3 and use a slow burst like kno3 based.

Thank you

Kenny East
03-05-2018, 02:40 AM
The sub325 mesh aluminum would be fine for a flash mix, but it will be very sparky... The H3 break formula will give you a better break without the extra sparks and bright flash. Either way should help with a better break.
You're welcome