PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Buckeye state!!

BuckeyeBanger
02-11-2018, 12:14 PM
I am very happy to find this group, and wanted to say hello. I am still fairly new to the pyro world, but enjoy it ver much. I currently do a show for family, freinds, and neighbors. I'm on a lower budget, and only spend about 1,000-$1,500 a year. Living in Ohio, it is still illegal to set them off, so even though I try to be very careful, I still am uncomfortable that I could get in trouble. I would love to get my ATF, and whatever else it is that I need to have a legal show. I am just intimidated by not knowing all the steps I need to take to do so.

fatcat
02-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Welcome aboard. I don't live in your state so i can't give you any info. There are a few pyros from Ohio here so I am sure they will Jump in and answer any questions you have. What part of Ohio is home? I was born in Dayton many years ago but have lived in the South most of my life where states are fireworks friendly. Once again welcome aboard.

BuckeyeBanger
02-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I am from northeast Ohio. About an hour south of Cleveland, in the small town of Wooster.

PyroManiacs
02-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

Big Worm
02-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Hello
Welcome to pyrotalk. Go Huskers!

hawkeye0323
02-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Welcome to the group. Western PA here

chriskrc
02-12-2018, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you

Rick_In_Tampa
02-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Welcome aboard BB! Originally from Cleveland myself. Nice to have you here. Would be interested in seeing some show videos if you have any to share. If you're looking for tips and tricks to put on a bigger, better show, you've certainly come to the right place.

displayfireworks1
02-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Your budget is not really low, it may actually be an average July 4th budget for those that want to put on a display. Having an ATF license in and of it self is not going to guarantee you will have a legal fireworks display in Ohio. It will probably guarantee you will have bigger and louder fireworks in Ohio.

Kenny East
02-12-2018, 10:41 PM
Welcome Buckeyebanger! Ohio is a safe and sane state, think you need a location where someone won't care if you shoot a show. Or maybe a display permit, or drive to Pennsylvania/Michigan and shoot them off there... Minding that it has to be a holiday or in the middle of no where.

BuckeyeBanger
02-13-2018, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for the welcome!! So to clarify, I need the ATF to be able to appy for a permit, correct? Is it hard to get the permit?
Are there clubs or groups close to me? In the past we have just set things out on plywood and light everything one at a time. I don't want to do that anymore. I want to stage the show and do it that way, but just feel a little lost when trying to think how to pair things together, and what to shoot when. I know I am over thinking things, but I really want to put on a good show.

Kenny East
02-13-2018, 09:14 PM
You don't need a atf permit to obtain a local permit for consumer fireworks... Talk to your township, fire department, or other government body and ask for a display permit for consumer fireworks

Rick_In_Tampa
02-14-2018, 08:35 AM
In the past we have just set things out on plywood and light everything one at a time. I don't want to do that anymore.

Okay... Stupid question time. What's changed? You have apparently been shooting without a permit all this time and the only thing you seem to want to change is including some organization and "purpose" in your show. You don't need a permit for that. A firing system, yes. A permit, no. So what am I missing?

Are you still looking to shoot just 1.4G products? Or are you wanting to incorporate 1.3G products into your show?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting a permit! Just trying to figure out why you think you need one now, when you didn't before.

BuckeyeBanger
02-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Not sure why my response yesterday didn't show up. User error, I'm sure. Ha!
That was not a dumb question at all Rick. I have done this in the past without a permit, but we always have people driving down our road, and they either slow down, or many times the stop to watch. We always have to stop and check to see if it is the PD. We seemed to have an increased number of people coming to watch, and my goal is to make my show as safe as possible. Right now I don't know what a "safe distance" is to keep my audience away.
To answer the other question, yes I would also like to add 1.3 to my shows.
Thank you all for your ideas, and questions.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-17-2018, 09:31 AM
Good stuff BB. Check out NFPA 1123. It's like the fireworks bible for how to set up a show. It will give you all the minimum distance information you need.

Northern Sky
02-17-2018, 10:10 AM
Hello neighbor.

You might want to check out North East Ohio Pyrotechnics Group. You are right in the Sweet Spot of our club.

https://www.facebook.com/Northeast-Ohio-Pyrotechnics-Group-137528686331804/

Northern Sky
02-17-2018, 10:15 AM
https://sites.google.com/view/neopg/home

https://www.facebook.com/Northeast-Ohio-Pyrotechnics-Group-137528686331804/

I don't know. Having a little difficulty getting the links to work.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Just search North East Ohio Pyrotechnics Group.

pimpdaddee28
03-05-2018, 04:38 AM
Welcome fellow Buckeye!!