PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question

MtnViewPyro
02-03-2018, 02:30 PM
I’ve somewhat asked this question before, but not fully. My left position will be located to the right of a highway. Spacing recommendations for a crowd is 75 foot per inch of shell or 70 foot per interior diameter of mortar according to Missouri regulation. A consumer shell is 1.75, but what about those so-called 3” NOABs? Cakes like Super Stunt by Winda have a very large burst, but isn’t considered 3”. So my question is what distance would all of you feel safe with? Nobody is going to come and inspect my site before the show begins, but I’m sure a highway patrolman would be quick to shut me down if they drive by and a burst is over the highway. I can avoid shooting off the NOAB from the left position, but the other 500gram cakes I would like to not be limited. Please give me some wisdom. Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

dirtysouthpyro
02-03-2018, 03:34 PM
A consumer shell is 1.75, but what about those so-called 3” NOABs? Cakes like Super Stunt by Winda have a very large burst, but isn’t considered 3”.

IANAL but my understanding is a "3 inch" NOAB shell is still considered a 3" shell even though it is a shell within a shell and the inner shell is most definitely not 3". I could tell you what distance I personally feel safe with but that doesn't change the actual safety standards.

joed2323
02-03-2018, 06:20 PM
How far from the highway is your position going to be? May I ask why you are shooting next to a highway? Im guessing this "highway" is heavily traveled since you referred to it as a highway?

You should definitely consider how far you are away from this highway along with the distance for the crowd.

MtnViewPyro
02-03-2018, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=joed2323;50933]How far from the highway is your position going to be? May I ask why you are shooting next to a highway? Im guessing this "highway" is heavily traveled since you referred to it as a highway?

I’m trying to figure out the appropriate distance so it won’t be an issue. Shooting from left, center, right position, so if I know about the highway distance I will adjust the others accordingly. I live in a town with a population of 2,500 and it’s not exactly heavily traveled but by definition it’s a highway.

Northern Sky
02-03-2018, 09:31 PM
I Deleted my post

jknepp1954
02-04-2018, 03:07 AM
First of all - I am by no means an expert. But NFPA 1123 says for 1.3 fireworks CAKES - use 150'. Or it did 8 yrs ago when i took my PGI test unless they changed it. So I ALWAYS use that same 150' distance for 1.4 cakes and shells as well, Including NOABS. ACTUALLY use more distance when i have it.
I don't know what Missouri says. If you have room - use a larger distance rather than smaller distance.

MtnViewPyro
02-04-2018, 04:52 AM
First of all - I am by no means an expert. But NFPA 1123 says for 1.3 fireworks CAKES - use 150'. Or it did 8 yrs ago when i took my PGI test unless they changed it. So I ALWAYS use that same 150' distance for 1.4 cakes and shells as well, Including NOABS. ACTUALLY use more distance when i have it.
I don't know what Missouri says. If you have room - use a larger distance rather than smaller distance.

Thank you. 150 will not be an issue and I might be able to keep 3 positions even if I go 200. Thanks again.

Northern Sky
02-04-2018, 06:00 PM
You can't be too careful when the is s road in play.