PDA

View Full Version : Igniter/spacing

Mattp
01-30-2018, 09:39 AM
I know that we can put multiple igniters on a single cue. And that amount varies by firing system. My question is how important it is if its ran in series or parallel as to how many will ignite, and why?? . . And also does the amount of wire between igniter and module (or between igniters if ran in series) factor in as well. I know in electrical the longer run a wire has, there is a voltage drop. And how thin the scab wire is if that factors in at all? I will have to do some feild testing but if anybody has this knowledge already.. would be cool to know!!

esgrillo
01-30-2018, 10:14 AM
First never wire talons in series. You will break the circuit as soon as the first wire melts. Only parallel for talon. For firewire or ematch either is fine but you get the most capacity per cue when in series. You'll have to check your system what the capacity it. A Cobra 18m can fire up to 10 firewire in a series config with a LiPo battery. I always get the 22 gauge wire as well. It will help on longer runs.

Yes, the longer the run the more resistance and the fewer igniters you can fire. However my experience with most typical set ups it usually is not a factor if your shooting area is typical size. I have run single cues on over 200ft of 22 scab without a problem. You'll have to run some tests to check on the config you are considering.

Mattp
01-30-2018, 01:06 PM
Ok, good to know about the talons.. ive heard they need to be in parallel but didnt know why. I was curious as to how much of a factor it is.. Dont think i will t have an issue at all , sounds like theres alot of leeway.. it doesnt take alot of juice to ignite them. And im not going that crazy with wire running.. ... when it gets warmer out ill do some feild tests though just to play around .. thanks

Rick_In_Tampa
01-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Ed is spot on. I was bored so I hopped on the Cobra site and grabbed the specs for their gear.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2849&stc=1

esgrillo
01-30-2018, 04:50 PM
Ed is spot on. I was bored so I hopped on the Cobra site and grabbed the specs for their gear.

Hey Rick check you PM's :D

MtnViewPyro
01-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Has anyone ever played with the cheaper Chinese systems when wiring in series? I’ve only wired in parallel but was wondering if I could wire the ground effects in series to be able to fire more than 6 at a time. Just curious.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Hey Rick check you PM's :D

Just did. Lol...

Rick_In_Tampa
01-30-2018, 07:11 PM
Has anyone ever played with the cheaper Chinese systems when wiring in series? I’ve only wired in parallel but was wondering if I could wire the ground effects in series to be able to fire more than 6 at a time. Just curious.

I haven't tried it, but the system you're referring to typically uses a 9V battery in the remote, but only 4 AA batteries in the firing module. So the firing module is only capable of producing 6V of power. That being the case you should be able to shoot a max of maybe 6 or 7 on new batteries based on the table above.

Mattp
01-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Cool rick, Thats nice to have a chart to reference. Yes i have the same import system as mountainveiw.. so 4 AA/6v is correct for me too.and seems a good estimation. for me. I don t see wanting to ignite more than 6 on a cue.. well not this year anyway..lol. we could always setup multiple modules on one chammel if need be too!!

Kenny East
01-30-2018, 10:26 PM
I have an import system, I've fired 7 ematches in parallel without issue. Tried 7 talons in parallel and only 6 fired... Looked like the 7th one had the bridge wire burn up where it connected the lead wire. Just got some mjg igniters, haven't tried them yet. Maybe this spring I'll try to see how many will fire in series on a single cue 4AA module.

MtnViewPyro
01-31-2018, 12:06 AM
I have an import system, I've fired 7 ematches in parallel without issue. Tried 7 talons in parallel and only 6 fired... Looked like the 7th one had the bridge wire burn up where it connected the lead wire. Just got some mjg igniters, haven't tried them yet. Maybe this spring I'll try to see how many will fire in series on a single cue 4AA module.

Thanks Kenny. I know the manual doesn’t give much information and the information about firing capacity is incorrect so was just curious.

MtnViewPyro
01-31-2018, 12:13 AM
I haven't tried it, but the system you're referring to typically uses a 9V battery in the remote, but only 4 AA batteries in the firing module. So the firing module is only capable of producing 6V of power. That being the case you should be able to shoot a max of maybe 6 or 7 on new batteries based on the table above.

I was able to get 6 to go when doing parallel a few weeks ago. Didn’t try 7. My remote battery is different but not sure that matters.

hatsgoods
01-31-2018, 07:11 AM

i have a cheap 12 cue china system and with fresh batteries i could only get 5 tallons to light on one cue in parallel. its a 6 volt system with a 9 volt batt. for the remote. maybe its just my system but i could get 6 firewire / ematch to go also.

Mattp
01-31-2018, 08:42 AM
It defintely makes a big difference too with fresh batteries.. thays very important.. but because theyr only being used as a burst at a time. They should last/ work pretty goodfor a while. . My systems remote uses 6 AA batteries in series.. which is 9v..not that that should be a factor in how many igniters will light.. i think for what these cheaper systems are. 6 on a cue is actually pretty good!!!

Kenny East
01-31-2018, 03:56 PM
My first system didn't include a manual, and e happiness system is written in China-English...so it's kinda hard to decipher what it says

MtnViewPyro
01-31-2018, 05:12 PM
My first system didn't include a manual, and e happiness system is written in China-English...so it's kinda hard to decipher what it says

Lol yes indeed. Many words are missing or used in the incorrect way.

MtnViewPyro
01-31-2018, 05:15 PM
i have a cheap 12 cue china system and with fresh batteries i could only get 5 tallons to light on one cue in parallel. its a 6 volt system with a 9 volt batt. for the remote. maybe its just my system but i could get 6 firewire / ematch to go also.

That is like my first little system battery wise. Recently I tested my newer one and only went up to 4 talons and didn’t have issue so it will most likely do the 5 as yours did. I’m just thrilled I can cut down on fusing.

MtnViewPyro
01-31-2018, 05:16 PM
It defintely makes a big difference too with fresh batteries.. thays very important.. but because theyr only being used as a burst at a time. They should last/ work pretty goodfor a while. . My systems remote uses 6 AA batteries in series.. which is 9v..not that that should be a factor in how many igniters will light.. i think for what these cheaper systems are. 6 on a cue is actually pretty good!!!

Agreed Matt. I’m still very happy with this system and would recommend it to anyone at my level or someone starting out.