PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Fireworks To Build Brick & Mortar Stores In Pittsburgh

displayfireworks1
01-30-2018, 06:01 AM
This story was on the Pittsburgh Pa news last night. I am curious where the stores will be located? The entire marketing strategy in the state of PA will now have to change, currently most stores are lined up against the borders of PA.Now stores will have to be closer to large cities. It should be an interesting July 4th holiday in all the local neighborhoods. Prior to this just having a Sparkler in the city limits of Pittsburgh was a $1000.00 fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsvEa88V1O0

displayfireworks1
01-30-2018, 08:41 AM
Here is another video about fireworks sales in Pennsylvania. I like this business strategy mentioned at 1:20 in this video to help ease the pain of the 12% tax for the average customer. Giving customers a free item is the least painful way for the retailer to deal with the extra tax. The alternative would be to reduce the price of all the items. With a tax that high, it is going to cost the business something. I would be willing to bet the free items are structured into a price range of purchase. Great idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KikIej4_GLU

jknepp1954
01-30-2018, 11:00 AM
This story was on the Pittsburgh Pa news last night. I am curious where the stores will be located? The entire marketing strategy in the state of PA will now have to change, currently most stores are lined up against the borders of PA.Now stores will have to be closer to large cities. It should be an interesting July 4th holiday in all the local neighborhoods. Prior to this just having a Sparkler in the city limits of Pittsburgh was a $1000.00 fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsvEa88V1O0

Interesting video. I kinda figured not in Metro Pittsburgh. Thanks for sharing

Icooclast
01-30-2018, 11:35 AM
to be honest, 12% is insane.with the high cost of fireworks, that means it'll be a little over $100 in tax per every $1,000 that is spent. that's high for pretty much everything that isn't a hobby of insanely rich people. i think a couple % or so would have been enough. after all there is already a charge of i do believe around 2-4% for using a card to pay(depending on store)

dirtysouthpyro
01-30-2018, 12:17 PM
Is it 12% total tax or 12% fireworks tax + sales tax?

Georgia legalized a couple years ago and we have a 5% tax on all fireworks but it stacks with 5% state sales tax, and depending where you live up to a 1.5% municipal sales tax. When you add it all up you are paying at least 10% tax if you live in a municipality without tax and up 11.5% is you live in a municipality who implemented their own sales tax.

I agree that 12% sucks but it beats fireworks being illegal.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-30-2018, 01:35 PM
12% fireworks tax PLUS 6% sales tax on class C items.
Safe & Sane items will remain at the 6% sales tax rate.

Niceshellsdude
01-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Interesting to note, in this news report they never mentioned anything about the 12 percent tax on aerial items. They never really elaborated on the real reason why aerial fireworks were actually made legal in PA.

Kenny East
01-30-2018, 10:38 PM
That's kinda rough, we have 6% sales tax+ 6% fireworks safety tax. It's kinda interesting to see how retailers here changed with the new laws. Some safe and sane store adding new products, some new stores opening. The prices were kinda interesting, some selling canister shell kits for over $100 while others sell them for under $50.. It's been good for selection and availability, though i still make a trip to Indiana every year to support a friend's store down there.

displayfireworks1
01-31-2018, 06:02 AM
I'm getting reports from my YouTube subscribers that Philadelphia is trying to enforce a noise ordinance that starts at 10 pm against users in that area. Like I mentioned in one of my videos , police can be very creative with some of this. Usually when police don't know what to do, that is when they charge you with "Disorderly Conduct". They can use that one as soon as a rocket lands in a neighbors yard.

Mattp
01-31-2018, 09:06 AM
I'm getting reports from my YouTube subscribers that Philadelphia is trying to enforce a noise ordinance that starts at 10 pm against users in that area. Like I mentioned in one of my videos , police can be very creative with some of this. Usually when police don't know what to do, that is when they charge you with "Disorderly Conduct". They can use that one as soon as a rocket lands in a neighbors yard.
Thats a pretty reasonable request though.. on 354 days of the year to stop by 10pm. Unfortunately most people especially in more populated areas dont love them as much as we all do!! Plus people have work,kids,pets and just like theyre quiet time.. personally i wouldnt mind hearing them all day everyday.. but i definitely think 10pm is a reasonable compromise (354 days of the year). Like you said too.. Definitly going to be interesting to see how it all plays out this year.. going to be an adjust and adapt kind of thing as far as law enforcement. They can definitely get creative!!

Mattp
01-31-2018, 12:22 PM
Hahaha... meant to say 364 days a year.. but actully 363 with new years.. maybe a few more on random weekends.. lol. You know what i mean

jamisonlm3
01-31-2018, 03:04 PM
Seems like a two step in one direction and one step back kinda thing. Still, I think it's good for you guys up there that couldn't legally get the good stuff.

PyroManiacs
02-01-2018, 12:13 AM
I'm getting reports from my YouTube subscribers that Philadelphia is trying to enforce a noise ordinance that starts at 10 pm against users in that area.

When have they not been trying to push a Noise and Excessive Vibrations Ordinance? LOL. :rolleyes:

PGH_Pyro
02-01-2018, 03:31 PM
dave - think the guy from phantom said they were looking at places in and around Robinson township area amongst other more suburban areas ...

Rick_In_Tampa
02-01-2018, 04:46 PM
When have they not been trying to push a Noise and Excessive Vibrations Ordinance? LOL. :rolleyes:

I passed some ass hat yesterday who had a full size speaker in his rear seat, facing the open window with his cRAP music blaring. Damn speaker was worth more than the car. Felt like putting a few rounds through the thing. So I can see why there are noise ordinances. But I think the municipalities need to exercise a little common sense too. You shouldn't be allowed to blow off fireworks all day and night, every day and night. But on the 4th of July especially they should give us a little reprieve from enforcing the law.

lefty2632
02-21-2018, 10:33 PM
i found out today that phantom sells wholesale. i love their product but retail is pricey. glad i came across this, i don't think many know about it

PTFan
02-24-2018, 09:52 PM
I will hold my opinion and let everyone form there own! A must read.
https://www.reedsmith.com/en/perspectives/2018/01/whos-blowing-up-pennsylvanias-marketplace-seller-law

jknepp1954
02-25-2018, 12:45 AM
I will hold my opinion and let everyone form there own! A must read.
https://www.reedsmith.com/en/perspectives/2018/01/whos-blowing-up-pennsylvanias-marketplace-seller-law

Just for FYI - there are other possible legal litigation on this revenue law other than fireworks that also saying "unconstitutional".