PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Florida.

Dragline
01-29-2018, 08:14 PM
Question from a newbie to the experts, Years ago New Jersey Fireworks Company used a pinkish/gray plug for the ends of their Bulldog Salutes, Anyone have any idea what the substance was and how to replicate that formula ?
I'm working on making a fist full of roman candles and I would like to use this for the end plugs.

displayfireworks1
01-29-2018, 09:19 PM
You mean this stuff?
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2844&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2845&stc=1

displayfireworks1
01-29-2018, 09:33 PM
This may or may not be what the formula is but I'll post it here. Perhaps someone else can answer. For some reason i don't think it is good for a roman candles. But if you say its a roman candle, then its a roman candle.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2846&stc=1

PyroJoeNEPA
01-29-2018, 09:55 PM
Dragline--welcome to PyroTalk.
You can buy a bag of Kitty Litter at the "Dollar Store" or WalMart--look on the back to see that is says it is "bentonite" [clay]. You can run this thru a rocket mill [mini coffee/herb grinder] to reduce it to dust. Put it in the tube and ra it with a wooden dowel. It does not need to be wet and will be ready to use immediately. This is what everyone uses today for plugs. You can buy bentonite thru a chem supply house--already in a very fine powder--but the above method will work well for you.

displayfireworks1
01-30-2018, 05:47 AM
Joe, I figured he just said Roman Candles but was making something else. LOL While we are on this subject, is the formula I have listed correct for the pinkish colored end plug from back in the day?

chriskrc
01-30-2018, 07:52 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you

Dragline
01-30-2018, 12:11 PM
Yes Sir it looks similar but the end plugs had the appearance of hard slick plastic ?

Dragline
01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Thanks to ALL of You for the Warm Welcome, I think I've found a Home.................

Dragline
01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you It's definately MY Pleasure.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Joe, I figured he just said Roman Candles but was making something else. LOL While we are on this subject, is the formula I have listed correct for the pinkish colored end plug from back in the day?
I can't say for sure on that one Dave-- both Zinc Oxide and Calcium Carbonate are white powders and the Waterglass binder--Sodium Silicate is a thick clear liquid similar to corn syrup. So where the pink color comes from I am not sure.
Calcite--a modern version of the calcium carbonate is made from ground up marble--and that would come in different colors--although the bulk of it would also be white.
I remember reading an article quite a while ago about using "grog" [finely ground up pieces of broken pottery] to add to damp clay to make rammed end plugs.
I have one of the vintage M-80's just like the one you pictured and the "pink stuff" is deteriorating--it will go to powder if you scrape it with your fingernail. I assume whatever the binder agent used in it had dried up and broken down.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Yes Sir it looks similar but the end plugs had the appearance of hard slick plastic ?

That sounds like industrial grade hot glue--it would have a greyish color to it.

Kenny East
01-30-2018, 10:53 PM
Put it under a balck light, zinc oxide glows under black light. As for the pinkish color could be dye added to make their brand different.
Any way welcome to the forum Dragline!