PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex sticky match

Kenny East
01-29-2018, 04:03 AM
Got a question the other day if sticky match could be made with pyrodex instead of black powder... It was pretty quick, faster than i expected given the burn rate of pyrodex.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10214714066827074&id=1286199792&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1517212077171754&ref=m_notif

displayfireworks1
01-29-2018, 08:33 AM
I'm surprised you got that much speed out of it. Hickok45 did a video about the difference in burn rate. I'll post it here. Yours seemed to have a lot of smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ig3V6MaMI

Kenny East
01-29-2018, 03:26 PM
Love that guy's channel, idk my pyrodex is like 10 years old... Almost never use it. I think a lot of the smoke is from the cello tape or maybe the adhesive on the tapes use... I used your tape as a base, yellow cellophane tape over the top and some 3m adhesive strip... Originally planned to test over a roman candle fan. Forgot to bring the candles.

displayfireworks1
01-30-2018, 03:39 PM
If I remember correctly some people mixed one of these smokeless powers in with flash powder to enhance it. Note sure if it was Pyrodex or another. One of them has a nitroglycerin ingredient or quality to it. Note sure of the details how it was mixed.

Kenny East
01-30-2018, 10:12 PM
Not sure about pyrodex, but a lot of smokeless powders are either nitroglycerin or nitrocellulose based with stabilizing compounds added. I have used pyrodex as a buffer for aerial salutes, using flash mixed with it. I don't like making large batches of flash, so it helps to keep batch size down while still making a good report.
Usually use it in my muzzle loader but over the past few years I've been using my homemade bp.... Way cheaper and it takes less powder for the same velocity. Can't measure velocity anymore due to a low shot killing my chronograph.

yoshisbar
02-08-2018, 09:48 PM
I acquired some VERY slow American visco cannon fuse (almost 50 sec a foot and about 400 feet of it) by mistake, not something you can use on a show to much. So in monkeying around, I tried a little Dave's magic tape, a little pyrodex, and this fuse. Lay the fuse out in the magic tape, sprinkle a little pyrodex (and not a lot I will note) then fold it over. I used a few on leaders of shells I made, took that 50 second fuse to about quickmatch.. Had to leave a piece of the slow stick out to light it and get out of the way..

Kenny East
02-10-2018, 06:12 AM
That would do it, that over pressure does the trick every time. Used to use piped fast fuse for leaders before i got a user permit, now it's either qm or Ematch.

What's the thickness of your 50sec a foot fuse.. I've got some that is crazy slow but it's not cannon fuse, it's blasting fuse 1/4" orange... With a wax coating over a mesh weave.

yoshisbar
02-11-2018, 10:25 PM
This is at least 1/4", the reason it is so slow is the coating was way to thick. It burns with a flame instead of that spit it should have....

Kenny East
02-12-2018, 04:14 AM
I remember a heavy fuse out a few years back, with a heavy lacquer coating... It was a good deal but too much, opted for 50' of American red visco... I've got over a dozen different types and speeds of fuse, only 1/4" I've got are time fuse and the orange blasting fuse...