PDA

View Full Version : Firework Prices Going Up!!

Rick_In_Tampa
01-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Just got the latest PGI Bulletin and read an interesting article I thought I'd pass along. Looks like China is downsizing their fireworks factories in a big way that's going to cause prices to skyrocket.

According to the article, 10 years ago there were 5960 fireworks factories. Today there are fewer than 3000. The goal is to whittle those down to 1335 located in only 2 provinces. Only factories that earn $100K USD per year will be allowed to remain open. So the selection is going to dry up, and the prices are expected to go way up in just a few years.

I guess the moral of the story is to join a pyro club now and learn how to build your own effects!!! Or start looking at a second job to support your pyro habit.

Mattp
01-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Yeahhh.. i read an article about that myself.. the govt is forcing them to shut down..blaming their air pollution as one of the major reason.. Thats a scary thought!! Sounds alot like their making it harder for them.. hopefully wont affect the exports to much.. they supply like 90% of the worlds fireworks.. I May have to build a barn and start stocking up!!

jamisonlm3
01-26-2018, 02:34 AM
Can you link the article?

Kenny East
01-26-2018, 03:35 AM
Once you get into building shells it's not too bad but it can be kinda expensive buying tooling and equipment for making fireworks. The chemicals are usually not super expensive, i think the most I've paid for a pound was $34 for bismuth trioxide.. Still have most of it. Joining a club might offer the use of tools as well as knowledge. The knowhow can save a lot of time, money and hair tearing out...

Kenny East
01-26-2018, 03:40 AM
Another reason for price increasing on fireworks is the cost of cardboard. Their no longer allowing imported recycle cardboard or paperboard... There's a monopoly on cardboard mfg over there, and they are pushing to raise prices on their cardboard. Been ongoing for a few years, that's part of the recent upturn in bagged shell kits, clam shell plastic shell kits and similar.

displayfireworks1
01-26-2018, 09:32 AM
I didn't get a chance to read that article yet. There is too dam much cardboard in those consumer kits now. I know for while they were importing those canister shells as bulk and building the kits here in USA. I never say so many unhappy store employees, part of their job during the slow season was to assembly the kits for retail sale. Then it was determined that bulk canister shells are a 1.3 classified item. I believe that practice stopped. The APA and/or the NFA need to renegotiate the build regulations. Do we really need one inch space per tube on a 500 shot Saturn battery product making it unnecessarily huge to comply with current build regulations?
Years back I heard Chinese cardboard could not be recycled in USA, is that true?

PyroDre
01-26-2018, 10:51 AM
how much is it to rent a storage unit LOL!

Rick_In_Tampa
01-26-2018, 12:21 PM
Can you link the article?

Unfortunately I can't. It's in a written bulletin I got in the mail.

Icooclast
01-27-2018, 02:50 AM
seems to me that they (like most things) go up every year. let us not forget min. wage is gonna go up too. so, the price will go up again to compensate for that. so, there maybe be 2 increases or just one big increase. they are already expensive enough. but from what i'm told model trains are another expensive hobby. how bout it guys: is fireworks the most expensive hobby or something else? and among where on the list of hobbies would fireworks go when it comes down to sheer cost?

Kenny East
01-27-2018, 03:09 AM
Not the most expensive hobby out there, i collect old and obsolete ammunition... I've got rifle shells that cost $400 each, wouldn't want to shoot it though. Collecting or restoring cars can get expensive.

MtnViewPyro
01-27-2018, 03:56 AM
Education. I wouldn’t call it a hobby, but it seems I have spent a lot of my nights and weekends on it. Don’t want to even think about the money. Some tell me once I’m done I can enjoy the more expensive hobbies in life lol.

cherrybomb1
01-27-2018, 07:18 AM
Education. I wouldn’t call it a hobby, but it seems I have spent a lot of my nights and weekends on it. Don’t want to even think about the money. Some tell me once I’m done I can enjoy the more expensive hobbies in life lol.

I have been saving money for a 16 year olds college education so i could tell you all about that!.But i collect beer steins and guns(good combination)lol.but like they say one mans junk is another mans treasure.I have beer steins that they say are worth $500.00 to $600.00 dollars but most people wouldn't give you $20.00 bucks for them.Everyone i know thinks I'm out of my mind for what I've spent for my Cobra system and my fireworks...so now i just keep it to myself.

Icooclast
01-27-2018, 09:32 AM
I have been saving money for a 16 year olds college education so i could tell you all about that!.But i collect beer steins and guns(good combination)lol.but like they say one mans junk is another mans treasure.I have beer steins that they say are worth $500.00 to $600.00 dollars but most people wouldn't give you $20.00 bucks for them.Everyone i know thinks I'm out of my mind for what I've spent for my Cobra system and my fireworks...so now i just keep it to myself.

yeah, i spent $8,000 from 76 back in 2007 (i think) and people thought i was nuts, and the sad part is i went big as kind of farewell, but it was so much fun that it relight that spark i had when i was younger. that and having a much better group of friends to light them with is ALWAYS a better thing. the person i always lit fireworks with was not exactly a boyscout. he was in and out of juvi a lot. he got arrested for building pipe bombs in his mom's basement. then she died while he was in juvi. they had to escourt him to the funeral in the chains and stuff like you see on tv. i was hoping he'd change. don't know if he did, i have not seen him in at leave 10 years. but he was pretty much the only friend i had at that point. the friends i have now are much better. but having my own money to buy more than just a few fireworks also helped. lol.

but, yeah i ordered just under $8K then i went to the local place because they don't carry excals at 76, and i got 2 boxes and a couple 16,000 rolls (which their brand of 60K rolls SUCKED and paying $200 for 2 made me a little peeved, because they are 200bucks for 1, maybe more now. (at least it was buy one get one and $100 for 2 xcal boxes (i had a coupon)

i wonder if any of the firework companies that post on here have an idea on what that increase in price will be next year? i'm thinking of like a percentage like 2% 5%, etc.

dirtysouthpyro
01-27-2018, 11:25 AM
Here is a bit of info from an NCI newsletter with some of the reasoning of prices rising. This is actually a year old now so the landscape has probably gotten a bit worse. It looks like a combination of production costs, worker shortages, and regulations.

From April 2017:

I am sure most fireworks dealers in the USA understand that China is the dominant producer of fireworks supplied to the U.S.
With that being said, I am not sure that most dealers understand the true reality of the production landscape in China.
Simply, most fireworks are produced in Hunan and Jiangxi provinces. Guangxi Province, once a significant producer, has
had a lot of factory closings and most production from there has been moved to the above named regions.
If you attended the NFA trade shows, you will believe that there must be a significant number of suppliers in China. You might even believe that the number is growing. The reality is that the China government is aggressively closing factories and requiring improvements and updates that many smaller suppliers are simply unable to afford. Therefore each year the number of factories producing for the export market is being reduced. The undoubtable fact is that it is going to affect the production capabilities going forward. Behind the scenes we have been told by every supplier that getting enough factory workers is a problem in the rural areas of China. Many factories have been using seasonal workers from other provinces to keep up with demand. There are literally no new production workers coming into the fireworks industry from local labor. Younger workers are moving to bigger cities with higher wages and better working conditions. Another obvious fact to the supply of goods from China is the government intervention into the factory work schedule. Factories are closed several weeks each summer due to heat restrictions. Work stoppage for explosions, safety inspections, holidays, and governmental conferences continue to negatively affect the number of work days that factories can produce inventory.

From December 2017

Just when you think you might have figured out what is happening the Chinese government has their idea of what they expect the producers in China to do. Maybe you haven’t heard but many factories have closed in the past 18 months. The remaining factories have to pay a stipend to the closed factories as compensation. Pricing has risen as a result of this and other factors.
Long time producers still expect labor, weather, and governmental regulations to all have an effect upon continued production. Production schedules are ever changing to these factories, and we should expect delays based upon all these factors. If it doesn’t happen this season consider yourself very lucky. It is inevitable that at some point demand will exceed supply. Will this be the year is the only
question?

Chiefsfan00
01-27-2018, 12:02 PM
I'm not surprise by this, as the price of fireworks has been going up already. It is interesting knowing about the China aspect of what is going on.

Icooclast
01-27-2018, 01:35 PM
Here is a bit of info from an NCI newsletter with some of the reasoning of prices rising. This is actually a year old now so the landscape has probably gotten a bit worse. It looks like a combination of production costs, worker shortages, and regulations.

From April 2017:

From December 2017

this has upset me more than our own goverment's decisions in choosing trump as president and everything that has happened since. *cry*

MtnViewPyro
01-27-2018, 02:39 PM

I’m on year 12. Took two years off so really year 10. I’m hoping to take the plunge on cobra next year or possibly at the end of the year when they do their sale.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-28-2018, 05:44 PM
I learned how to fly. That wasn't cheap. I collect military rifles from WWII. That isn't cheap. I buy modern pistols and rifles. That's certainly not cheap. Did I mention I'm married with 3 kids?? That's DEFINITELY not cheap!! Pyro is right up there with all of them.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-28-2018, 05:47 PM

IMHO anyway your education isn't an expense. It's an investment in your future. Money definitely well spent. My pyro show is hard work from Sept to July every year for 15 min of fun on the 4th. Your education is a few years of hard work for a lifetime of enjoyment! If I didn't have the one, I wouldn't have to worry about having the other.

Icooclast
01-28-2018, 09:01 PM
IMHO anyway your education isn't an expense. It's an investment in your future. Money definitely well spent. My pyro show is hard work from Sept to July every year for 15 min of fun on the 4th. Your education is a few years of hard work for a lifetime of enjoyment! If I didn't have the one, I wouldn't have to worry about having the other.

good way to look at it. never thought of it that way before

MtnViewPyro
01-29-2018, 02:18 AM
Yeah it will definitely be worth it in the end. Just ready for it to be over.

esgrillo
01-29-2018, 09:26 AM
well if prices go up.... just need to find another investor lol

Rick_In_Tampa
01-29-2018, 11:50 AM

I'd be happy with just 1 investor!! How did you swing it? I live in an HOA. I approached 1 board member about sponsoring a community fireworks show on the 4th and he told me he thought it was a good idea. The problem is the president of the HOA and I don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything. I figure the moment I make an official request he's not only going to say no, he's going to try to shut my personal plans down. I'm not willing to risk that. If you found people to invest in your show, I'd love to hear how you worked it.

MtnViewPyro
01-29-2018, 03:31 PM
My investor for this year is volunteering to go pick up the product from 76. It’s only a couple hundred $ but better than nothing. Plus, with my work schedule my wife normally is the one that makes the trip and she always likes to sneak in some mall shopping and that will not be necessary this year lol.

PGH_Pyro
02-01-2018, 03:35 PM
trying getting into hi-fi audio & turntables/analog ... whew... $$$$$$
really sucks, this pyro inflation ... gonna price a lot of people out of the hobby.

esgrillo
02-01-2018, 04:59 PM
I'd be happy with just 1 investor!! How did you swing it? I live in an HOA. I approached 1 board member about sponsoring a community fireworks show on the 4th and he told me he thought it was a good idea. The problem is the president of the HOA and I don't see eye to eye on pretty much anything. I figure the moment I make an official request he's not only going to say no, he's going to try to shut my personal plans down. I'm not willing to risk that. If you found people to invest in your show, I'd love to hear how you worked it.

Rick I have been fortunate to be able to have most of my neighbors and several friends volunteer to donate. It is a fixed amount I ask for, same for everyone. I ask the group each each year they are willing to contribute again and usually I people do it each year. I do not get my HOA involved at all and I try to keep it as low profile as possible. Never make posts on our neighborhood social page about it at all. Its obviously no secret who is doing it but I dont invite inquiries if you know what I mean.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Rick I have been fortunate to be able to have most of my neighbors and several friends volunteer to donate. It is a fixed amount I ask for, same for everyone. I ask the group each each year they are willing to contribute again and usually I people do it each year. I do not get my HOA involved at all and I try to keep it as low profile as possible. Never make posts on our neighborhood social page about it at all. Its obviously no secret who is doing it but I dont invite inquiries if you know what I mean.

I have one neighbor who throws me $100 each year. That's it. The crowd is getting bigger though, and so is the bill. We have a neighborhood FaceBook page that my wife trolls just to keep up on the gossip of the board members. Last year I was finally outed as the "fireworks guy." It was positive feedback with zero complaints. But like you, I don't want to post anything that might invite inquiries. I'm thinking about starting a Go Fund Me page to see if I can get anything going that way. My son and his BFF are radio DJ's here in Tampa and Orlando. Both said they would put the Go Fund Me thing on their social media sites. I figure it's worth a shot. I might even set out a tip jar this year. Lol... Anything to prompt folks to contribute some $$... We'll see. Thanks for the feedback!

cherrybomb1
02-01-2018, 09:46 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about is the people who feel like since they donated money it gives them the right to get involved.I could just picture people wanting to help and tripping all over scab wire and the such.I know you guys invest a hell of a lot more money into your shows then I do...but if fireworks cost get to out of control i guess ill have some used Cobra equipment for sale.

joed2323
02-01-2018, 10:51 PM
The only thing I would be concerned about is the people who feel like since they donated money it gives them the right to get involved.I could just picture people wanting to help and tripping all over scab wire and the such.I know you guys invest a hell of a lot more money into your shows then I do...but if fireworks cost get to out of control i guess ill have some used Cobra equipment for sale.

The sad part is a feel the same way with costs. When is too much, too much to keep the party going???

If costs do get out of hand like people are suggesting it's going to do, they will push alot of us out of the hobby.

Once a pyro always a pyro but you have to draw the line somewhere. I sure hope they don't kill the market

I sure hope cobra holds it's value if the price of fireworks sky rockets.

I don't plan on selling my equipment but if the market falls on its face good luck trying to sell if you need the money and no one wants any cobra gear since pyro is ridiculously priced

joed2323
02-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Sorry for the DBL posting.

Rick, I would suggest only passing around a can at your show and no advertising or contacting your HOA. For one the HOA could definitely try and shut it down. I hate my HOA for how controlling they like to be, don't give them a reason.

Also unless you have a license advertising and potentially taking a go fund me could potentially put you in commerce?? Someone would have to chime in that knows those laws.

Do it low key and pass a can around. I did that for the first time last year and i somehow managed about $500 bucks. $500 bucks did not pay for much of my show but the wife definitely was happy when I told her to keep it and spend it on something she likes .. least I could
do with spending thousands of dollars on fireworks, lol

I would think if people knew their was a can available they would actually show up with some money in their pockets. Hence doing in each year

cherrybomb1
02-01-2018, 11:35 PM
The sad part is a feel the same way with costs. When is too much, too much to keep the party going???

If costs do get out of hand like people are suggesting it's going to do, they will push alot of us out of the hobby.

Once a pyro always a pyro but you have to draw the line somewhere. I sure hope they don't kill the market

I sure hope cobra holds it's value if the price of fireworks sky rockets.

I don't plan on selling my equipment but if the market falls on its face good luck trying to sell if you need the money and no one wants any cobra gear since pyro is ridiculously priced

The sad part is I've been shooting fireworks for years but just got into the electronic firing part of it after finding Dave's website last year.Im taking the Illinois department of natural resources class next week to get there licence then I'll apply for my type 54.This is all just pretty discouraging for someone that was ready to up his game ...but we will see.Hopefully it won't be as bad as what people think.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-02-2018, 12:26 PM

If prices go up and selection goes down, the vendors are going to have to get creative in order to stay in business. The item with the least amount of flexibility is the pyro budget. It is what it is. Depending on the increase many brick and mortar stores might have to close. Maybe they go to mail order only. Maybe they cut their prices and/or offer more specials. Maybe we buy less and instead of having 2 or 4 cakes going off at once, we only have 1 or 2. Likely it's a combination of all those things.

Regardless... I don't envision a 4th of July going by when I don't have something going up.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-02-2018, 12:31 PM
This is all just pretty discouraging for someone that was ready to up his game ...but we will see..

Nay nay young pyro! Look at it as a challenge! The less you have to work with, the more creative you're going to need to be. The electronic firing system gives you the technology to do just that. So you're already ahead of the game. :cool:

displayfireworks1
02-02-2018, 03:35 PM
At cherrybomb1 I glad to hear I inspired you with the license and the fireworks firing system. I know you are new at fireworks, this is not the first time the price increase talk has been preached. Lets just wait and see what happens. look at the bright side, your 401 K went up over the last year. LOL

MtnViewPyro
02-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Economically speaking, I find it very difficult to believe China would be seeking to undermine a market. From the bulletin posted earlier it seems the government is more interested in getting rid of inefficiencies. In the short-term this may make us pay more but in the long-term it may benefit us with more reliable and top tier product. In addition, if our demand remains what it is or increases, there are many other developing countries that will take over the market for China if they are willing to hand it over. By the way, it would be wonderful if another country would compete with China in production of fireworks on a large scale. We would definitely benefit from that. All in all, our hobby will always fight regulation, price increases, and the always feared, bad weather. As long as I can purchase fireworks I will continue to put on a show. Maybe year to year I will have to save more or buy less but I will make some things blow up. At least I’m not buying retail anymore lol.

cherrybomb1
02-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Things don't look bad for 2018...I received emails from Eddie at Night Lights Little China and Harrison from Casabella with there 2018 price list.Casabella's prices for there 1.4 Pro product actually went down.Also Eddie has a deal where you can get $7 off case prices if you order by a certain time.I'm starting to walk back from the cliff for the time being lol.The 401k is another matter I GOT Whacked hard today!

PyroManiacs
02-02-2018, 11:34 PM

My new investor is about to be these rental units, lol.

trying getting into hi-fi audio & turntables/analog ... whew... $$$$$$

Just picked this up a little while back, I love it.

dirtysouthpyro
02-03-2018, 02:27 PM
When prices do start definitely going up (a substantial increase for the 2018 season isn't guaranteed yet although prices may be a bit higher) I wonder who is going to end up eating most of the cost, wholesalers or the end users buying at retail chains? Business costs and regulations/taxes vary state to state and while fireworks are fairly cheap retail in some states in other states they seem to have exorbitant prices. I have seen the same brand 24 count box of 60g canisters retail from anywhere from $45 to $175 depending on what store you go to in what part of the country. At the stores with lower retail prices they can shift some of the cost onto consumers but at the shops that are already charging you over $5 for every 60g can you buy I imagine their is an upper limit where consumers will simply no longer purchase the product or start looking into wholesale purchases themselves.

Pyro isn't even my most expensive hobby by a longshot but it is my only hobby where it seems like I am literally burning money. I collect firearms, computer hardware, stamps, foreign currency, minerals, and even have a couple junked out cars I am working on restoring. None of these hobbies are cheap but at the end of the day at least I have something to show for my money. With all that being said pyro is probably still my favorite hobby. I'm still on schedule to join Club 54 this year but as of now I have avoided any of the fancier electronic firing systems because the cheaper generic Chinese ones on eBay work fine for me at the level I'm at plus if I am being honest when I am shooting for fun and not to put on a show for other people I actually enjoy hand lighting my fireworks. As a certain YouTuber who likes to dissect fireworks says "half the fun is having the sparks and paper rain down on your face"