PDA

View Full Version : Order of operation for 1.3 license

JMcDowell
01-23-2018, 11:20 PM
Well as some of you know I’m just starting the process of getting licensed, so I’ve got a few questions. My first is can you get a license and not have a magazine? The second is if my dad helps me with picking up the fireworks or helping me set up the show and maybe even hitting a button or two on the firing system does he need a license also? Last question do I have to have some kind of fireworks training or go to a fireworks school to be licensed. I have around 15 years experience in consumer shows and I know they are not the same but it’s not like I’m coming into this with no experience at all.

displayfireworks1
01-24-2018, 03:32 PM
I believe you ordered my ATF DVD application package recently. You should receive it soon. It will give you an understanding of the process.

JMcDowell
01-24-2018, 04:10 PM
Ok thanks again Dave

djsmurf
01-26-2018, 01:04 AM
Like Dave said his DVD will help with the process questions. Does your dad need a licence to help (show setup, and firing) those are state level questions not federal 54 licence questions. Call your local fire chief they will be able to help. Your last question "do I have to have some kind of fireworks training or go to a fireworks school to" .. shoot 1.3 would be better. Kinda, there are no real requirements for becoming "licensed" your state might require training to shoot it, but at a federal level it is not "required". On that note any and I do mean any, shooting with seasoned /licensed companies or groups and attending PGI or APA training is wise. No amount of experience in consumer shows will prepare you for what 1.3 shows are like. Good luck. Questions ask away. Link for your state firework laws is below.

https://www.firemarshal.alabama.gov/PDF/FireworksAlabamaLaw.pdf

displayfireworks1
01-26-2018, 06:07 AM
I appreciate everyone's desire to help an new ATF license applicant. However, I prefer to do this by email with people that purchase my DVD package. I spend a great deal of time clearing up misconceptions about what is and is not required for the ATF license. Hearing from multi people sometimes confuses and discourages applicants. The safe thing to tell all applicants is training, like the PGI shooter course and/or working part time for a local display company to get experience. As far as state , federal , local requirements ,permits , transportation etc that is where the misconceptions start. Even the so called authorities are wrong in many occasions, this is why you need to be careful when you start calling them. There are many instances where local people and even ATF Inspectors are wrong. Some of the current ATF licensed people on the forums were told no by ATF Inspectors and fire chiefs. But we pushed forward and were successful.