PDA

View Full Version : Multiple fireworks concern

FireworkNewbie
01-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Hey, new poster here. So as much as I love fireworks and shooting them off, my main priority is safety and doing it right. This year I will be e-firing my show for the first time and have increased the size by quite a bit (approx 75 cakes, 200 shells).

I haven't seen it talked about outside of angled shots, but are shots hitting each other in the air a concern? I know you can have cakes in extreme close proximity to each other and even taped together in blocks, but if they collide in air or "ignite" somehow does it just amount to a couple of low breaks or a chain reaction that causes everything on the ground to explode or whatnot?

Not sure if this is just my active imagination envisioning something outlandish happening, or if this does and can happen. You guys are the experts, so any info/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

MtnViewPyro
01-15-2018, 03:16 PM
I’ve seen some really insane finales where an insane amount of shells where going off at once and not very far apart. In addition, my last years finale I had 4 36 shot spirit of 76 cakes going off and then 20 60gram canister shells toward the end. All of these were shot from the same position and I did not have any low breaks or issues. I believe your low breaks are more with the shell itself than what’s going off around it. Just think back to the displays you have seen where they had a big finale. Most of those shells or cakes were going off from the same rack and everyone walked away happy not hurt.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Interesting question. The short version is, IMHO anyway, unless you have puddles of gasoline under your effects and mixed in with your cakes, the chances of a low breaking shell causing everything else to explode on the ground is less than 0%.

If you're using quickmatch or any kind of paper covered fast fuse and you leave it uncovered, and errant spark from a shell or cake can land on it and light it, setting off whatever is attached to it. It's happened. If you put cakes too close with the same type of unprotected paper fuse you could get crossfire and have the same issue. If you put two fan cakes side by side, and one of them 180 out from the other so the sides that touch are both going off at the same time.... I guess you could theoretically have shots that hit one another (assuming they both go off at EXACTLY the same time) and the effects could then land on other cakes on the ground and light the fuses of other cakes and set them off. That would be an act of God type scenario IMHO. But the scenario you mentioned is IMHO anyway, not even remotely possible.

FireworkNewbie
01-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Thank you for the information and discussion. I figured this worry (fear) was a bit far fetched; just safe than sorry kind of thing. Glad I asked so I can put those thoughts to rest. Thank you guys again for the insight and explanation.

jamisonlm3
01-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Interesting question. The short version is, IMHO anyway, unless you have puddles of gasoline under your effects and mixed in with your cakes, the chances of a low breaking shell causing everything else to explode on the ground is less than 0%.I agree. I've helped with shows that had lots of cakes in close proxemity to one another. I can't say I've ever seen shots hitting one another. I think the bigger concern is making sure your cakes don't tip. Tape them together, Glue them to sheets of plywood or stake them down.

cherrybomb1
01-16-2018, 12:19 AM
I agree. I've helped with shows that had lots of cakes in close proxemity to one another. I can't say I've ever seen shots hitting one another. I think the bigger concern is making sure your cakes don't tip. Tape them together, Glue them to sheets of plywood or stake them down.

Definitely stake or tape your cakes.I had a 200gr cake tip last year that I thought was glued.It shot over my privacy fence into the neighbors yard just missing his 5th wheel trailer.Talk about a show stopper ...luckily they weren't home but a noisy neighbor called them and they can home to look over there trailer

Rick_In_Tampa
01-16-2018, 04:54 PM
Thank you for the information and discussion. I figured this worry (fear) was a bit far fetched; just safe than sorry kind of thing. Glad I asked so I can put those thoughts to rest. Thank you guys again for the insight and explanation.

Always happy to help! Don't hesitate to ask questions.