PDA

View Full Version : firing system pros vs cons

Fireworks Phil
01-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Hi every one. I'm new to the forum and am looking for pros vs cons of various firing systems. I am looking to purchase a firing system and have been checking out what is available. I am a backyard pyro, but want a system that can grow as my hobby does, and would like to eventually do full scripted musical shows. I am currently shooting consumer fireworks but hope to eventually get the type 54 and shoot 1.3 as well. I have been to various sites and gained the information off of the product web sites. Obviously the sites only post the positives of their systems. I am looking for people who have shot the following systems, and there fore want to know what you like, or dislike about the product, or what features you with the product had that it currently does not.
here is a list of the companies I have checked out so far:
Fireone,
Cobra,
Firetek,
Mongoose,
Starfire

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated

PyroJoeNEPA
01-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Welcome to th Forum Phil.
Here is some feedback to get you started:
Fireone--use it all the time with the company I shoot for. Not practical for a hobbyist unless you have VERY deep pockets! Love the system!

Cobra--use it a lot--probably the most cost effective and reliable system you can get--the big thing here is that everyone that has one has several modules so getting extra modules to use for an event [July 4th week is an exception] is easy.

Firetek--sorry, no hands on experience with it--but from what I see and read they are trying to get along side of Cobra as competition. Hopefully someone on here that has one will chime in.

Mongoose---also no hands on experience.

Starfire--VERY HEAVY control panel!! I think the batteries in the control panel came from a Sherman Tank! LOL. I know several people and companies that have them and love them. Less $$$ than the FireOne system--same setup--ie: control panel, 2 wire line to field mods, slats plug into mods in field.

One note on the FireOne vs the Starfire--we have the wireless transcievers to make the FireOne completely wireless. ...but they are $$$$.

The FireOne, Cobra, and Starfire all will work very well for pyro musicals. Hope this helps.

esgrillo
01-14-2018, 06:05 PM
one word, Cobra

two words, Scott Smith

displayfireworks1
01-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Sounds like you have done some research. If you feel comfortable telling us , what is you level of experience with any fireworks firing system? What is your annual fireworks budget, how many times a year do you shoot and what type of events do you shoot? It sounds like you are currently using only consumer fireworks.

Fireworks Phil
01-14-2018, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the input. By gaining as much info as I can, I feel that i can make the best decision for my situation.
Here is my brief synopses of what I found.
Every system can fire consumer and 1.3 fireworks.
every system can be started minimal equipment and build as needed.

The fireone and starfire appear to be more professional shooting systems, and as you say, fireone does have the added advantage of wireless capability. Fireone is the most expensive.
cobra, firetek, and mongoose appear to be very competitive (price per cue), as well as features. They each have their advantages.
Cost per cue if you buy the very minimum to shoot. (not including igniters), audio equipment scripting software etc.
Example is based on one controller or remote to fire modules/cues, 1 module, and any slats you may need for the module.
Fireone - $87.66 per cue based on 32 cues
Starfire - $83.26 per cue based on 32 cues
Cobra - $36.89 based on 18 cues
Mongoose - $26.88 based on 48 cues
firetek - $26.63 based on 48 cues

Whats inetresting about the price per cue, is how much it changes as you build the systems.
Fireone - $41.56 per cue based on 288 cues
Starfire - $20.86 per cue based on 288 cues
Cobra - $19.35 per cue based on 288 cues
Mongoose - $22.54 per cue based on 288 cues
Firetek - $20.76 per cue based on 288 cues

Fireworks Phil
01-14-2018, 08:18 PM
I do not have the type 54 license yet. there for I only shoot consumer product. So far I only shoot the 4th. However, I love shooting and every year the budget grows. I will be taking the operator safety class as well as the Display Fireworks Operator Certification Course. those classes will be offered in my area late April,early May. Once I have completed those, I will apply for my type 54 license. Ive been shooting in Michigan for about 10 years. thru experience, I have learned to secure the product so it won't tip over, make sure fire extinguishers are handy, check my distances to crowds, and basics of that nature. I am currently timing product and fusing together based on what I want to accomplish. I only buy case lots to save money. in average cases i shoot one for show, 3 for finally. My basic show is hand lit, with finally glued down to plywood sheets and fused together based on timing of product and how long I want the finally to last. This year I estimate I will shoot approximately 60 cases or more depending on my final budget.

Fireworks Phil
01-14-2018, 08:23 PM
I want to grow, learn and advance. I feel I am at the point to enhance my shows by getting the 54 license as well as a firing system. I believe that the more you get into 1.3, a firing system makes a lot of sense from a scripting and safety standpoint

Fireworks Phil
01-14-2018, 09:09 PM
I checked out your video. Awesome

displayfireworks1
01-14-2018, 09:30 PM
I can never fully understand that cost per cue rationale towards a purchase decision. I'm sure it means more in the professional setting when you are selling displays. As far as an advanced hobbyist, I would not just consider cost per cue. If I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like you are using just fuse. Are any of the fuse you use longer than you arm in length? I have videos of all of those systems you have listed, have you seen any of them?

Fireworks Phil
01-14-2018, 10:31 PM
I have watched your videos on these products. I never saw a video of comparison between the different products, what your favorite one is and why. I understand if they are your sponsors it could be somewhat compromising if you publicly favor one over the other. Kinda why I thought I would try the forum to see what a group of people had to say. I have never shot a system, so I have no personal experience to gauge.

cherrybomb1
01-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Hi every one. I'm new to the forum and am looking for pros vs cons of various firing systems. I am looking to purchase a firing system and have been checking out what is available. I am a backyard pyro, but want a system that can grow as my hobby does, and would like to eventually do full scripted musical shows. I am currently shooting consumer fireworks but hope to eventually get the type 54 and shoot 1.3 as well. I have been to various sites and gained the information off of the product web sites. Obviously the sites only post the positives of their systems. I am looking for people who have shot the following systems, and there fore want to know what you like, or dislike about the product, or what features you with the product had that it currently does not.
here is a list of the companies I have checked out so far:
Fireone,
Cobra,
Firetek,
Mongoose,
Starfire

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated
Fireworks Phil.Your story sounds a lot mine...i was fusing and hand lighting until i found Dave"s website last year.Being in Illinois i didn't even know you could have 1.4 fireworks sent to your front door...i used to make about a 8 or 9 hour round trip by the the time i picked everything out to Indiana every year.That being said i settled with the Cobra system.Im probably the most computer illiterate member on this forum and its super easy to use.The videos I've watched of the Firetek system look impressive but i always see someone working with a laptop configuring things and thats just not for me,But i like the idea of using Cat 5 cable running to your slats.Another upside of the Cobra is Scott and his customer service.I sent 2 18m and my 18r2 remote back to him when i bought my new 36m to get them on the same program and all i paid for was shipping...it was about week turn around time.I think Firetek is out of Romania not that means anything.Also i bought some 1.4 Pro product from one of Dave's sponsors called Casabella and they have a system called Apex. Harrison from Casabella said there cheaper per cue on a 144 system.Theres some real heavyweights on this forum that know there sh#t so your in good hands with these guys.welcome to the forum!

displayfireworks1
01-15-2018, 08:25 AM
I will suggest instead of doing major cost benefit analysis of fireworks firing systems , first advance one more step up, away from the long fuse. Experiment with any fireworks firing system and electric match. It will help you decide what direction to proceed.
In referencing your numbers on the cost per cue., for those interested in such data. I'll add that these numbers are not represented by the manufacture of the products, so please check with the manufacture for exact pricing.

Fireworks Phil
01-15-2018, 08:48 PM
I will suggest instead of doing major cost benefit analysis of fireworks firing systems , first advance one more step up, away from the long fuse. Experiment with any fireworks firing system and electric match. It will help you decide what direction to proceed.
In referencing your numbers on the cost per cue., for those interested in such data. I'll add that these numbers are not represented by the manufacture of the products, so please check with the manufacture for exact pricing.

Hi Dave. I'm trying to gain as much information as I can in order to make the best decision possible. I already know that I want to be able to do scripted musical shows. There for I can't see buying the cheap manual fire cues just to fire talons or ematch. I would love to try cobra, firetek, mongoose, starfire, or any other system that can do scripted musicals. Problem is, I do not know any one who owns a system that I can try. To the best of my knowledge I can't just go out and rent a system. The only thing I can go on is talking to others who own/shoot these systems, and do my homework from information I can gain off of manufacturers websites. Websites only give you the selling points and pricing. Since I know that scripted musical shows are what I want to eventually learn and do, I chose to check out these systems from the web, i.e. websites, videos of shoots videos of the being used etc. next step, since I want to grow into a system, what is the very least I need from each system in order to shoot something. Then, how much is it going to cost me to obtain that minimum and get my foot in the door. a lot of differences in minimum start up price. Next requirement to eventually cover, is the number of cues I may need to say script just the finally. that can be quite a few cues. I randomly chose 288 cues. Guess what? When i priced what I needed for that amount of cues, it puts all systems equally priced with the exception of fireone. That means if you are trying to get the best value for your dollar, the remaining systems are in play. Now I'm left with What are some nuances of each system. I like the Starfire system very much, However, it does not have wireless technology. I like the thought of a dual system,(which starfire does not offer), but in reality would I ever use wired over wireless if there was a choice? I like Cobra a lot, they are all over the world, a lot of systems sold, they seem to be the company others are trying to get market share from. Their modules have the cues on board, is that good or bad. does it make more sense to use slats when doing a large finally with many mortar racks. does that mean you have to buy the 36m to do that option? Firetek. I like the fact of slats with cat5. nice system, not sure I want to invest in a system not based in US. Mongoose. I like very much as well. I kinda like a lot of their features more than others. They have been developing their system for I believe about 7 years. some where about the same time as cobra. However I think the mongoose in its current version has only been out for a year. I really like them based on information and videos I saw. Since it's relatively new.....I don't want to be in a system that may not be there down the road. since they seem to be gearing their system to "common" if you will, enabling the use of others manufacturers slats and cables, I have to believe they will be around down the road. One can pick on any company and find room for improvement. Because all these systems can do what I am seeking, I am trying figure out what system suits my situation best. Guess the next step is to probably try to go to shoots where many different systems are being used and talk to the shooters for my self.

Fireworks Phil
01-15-2018, 09:08 PM
Fireworks Phil.Your story sounds a lot mine...i was fusing and hand lighting until i found Dave"s website last year.Being in Illinois i didn't even know you could have 1.4 fireworks sent to your front door...i used to make about a 8 or 9 hour round trip by the the time i picked everything out to Indiana every year.That being said i settled with the Cobra system.Im probably the most computer illiterate member on this forum and its super easy to use.The videos I've watched of the Firetek system look impressive but i always see someone working with a laptop configuring things and thats just not for me,But i like the idea of using Cat 5 cable running to your slats.Another upside of the Cobra is Scott and his customer service.I sent 2 18m and my 18r2 remote back to him when i bought my new 36m to get them on the same program and all i paid for was shipping...it was about week turn around time.I think Firetek is out of Romania not that means anything.Also i bought some 1.4 Pro product from one of Dave's sponsors called Casabella and they have a system called Apex. Harrison from Casabella said there cheaper per cue on a 144 system.Theres some real heavyweights on this forum that know there sh#t so your in good hands with these guys.welcome to the forum!

Hi Cherrybomb1. Thank you very much for your input. I have heard nothing but great things about Scott and cobra. I will most likely spend about $2000 to start with. With the way things have been going, I bet I eventually will end up with about 8-10k invested. I've come to learn that blowing crap up for fun isn't cheap

Rick_In_Tampa
01-15-2018, 09:16 PM
If you're serious about the hobby buy the Cobra and don't look back. Period. I started with the 18R2 and 4 mods last year, and I picked up 8 more mods and an audio box on Black Friday. It will do everything you need it to do and as others have said, Scott and his team are second to none when it comes to customer service. I have e-mailed Scott on many occasions and he almost always gets back to me within the hour. Sometimes in minutes!

cherrybomb1
01-15-2018, 11:20 PM
Hi Cherrybomb1. Thank you very much for your input. I have heard nothing but great things about Scott and cobra. I will most likely spend about $2000 to start with. With the way things have been going, I bet I eventually will end up with about 8-10k invested. I've come to learn that blowing crap up for fun isn't cheap

Ain't that the truth.My wife would testify in court to that.lol

nlarson
03-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the input. By gaining as much info as I can, I feel that i can make the best decision for my situation.
Here is my brief synopses of what I found.
Every system can fire consumer and 1.3 fireworks.
every system can be started minimal equipment and build as needed.

The fireone and starfire appear to be more professional shooting systems, and as you say, fireone does have the added advantage of wireless capability. Fireone is the most expensive.
cobra, firetek, and mongoose appear to be very competitive (price per cue), as well as features. They each have their advantages.
Cost per cue if you buy the very minimum to shoot. (not including igniters), audio equipment scripting software etc.
Example is based on one controller or remote to fire modules/cues, 1 module, and any slats you may need for the module.
Fireone - $87.66 per cue based on 32 cues
Starfire - $83.26 per cue based on 32 cues
Cobra - $36.89 based on 18 cues
Mongoose - $26.88 based on 48 cues
firetek - $26.63 based on 48 cues

Whats inetresting about the price per cue, is how much it changes as you build the systems.
Fireone - $41.56 per cue based on 288 cues
Starfire - $20.86 per cue based on 288 cues
Cobra - $19.35 per cue based on 288 cues
Mongoose - $22.54 per cue based on 288 cues
Firetek - $20.76 per cue based on 288 cues

Small correction - the price from the website https://www.simplifirepyro.com/products would work out to 19.45 per cue for 288 cues.

Neil Larson
neil@Simplifirepyro.com

fireTEK
03-22-2018, 06:15 AM
Hi Dave. I'm trying to gain as much information as I can in order to make the best decision possible. I already know that I want to be able to do scripted musical shows. There for I can't see buying the cheap manual fire cues just to fire talons or ematch. I would love to try cobra, firetek, mongoose, starfire, or any other system that can do scripted musicals. Problem is, I do not know any one who owns a system that I can try. To the best of my knowledge I can't just go out and rent a system. The only thing I can go on is talking to others who own/shoot these systems, and do my homework from information I can gain off of manufacturers websites. Websites only give you the selling points and pricing. Since I know that scripted musical shows are what I want to eventually learn and do, I chose to check out these systems from the web, i.e. websites, videos of shoots videos of the being used etc. next step, since I want to grow into a system, what is the very least I need from each system in order to shoot something. Then, how much is it going to cost me to obtain that minimum and get my foot in the door. a lot of differences in minimum start up price. Next requirement to eventually cover, is the number of cues I may need to say script just the finally. that can be quite a few cues. I randomly chose 288 cues. Guess what? When i priced what I needed for that amount of cues, it puts all systems equally priced with the exception of fireone. That means if you are trying to get the best value for your dollar, the remaining systems are in play. Now I'm left with What are some nuances of each system. I like the Starfire system very much, However, it does not have wireless technology. I like the thought of a dual system,(which starfire does not offer), but in reality would I ever use wired over wireless if there was a choice? I like Cobra a lot, they are all over the world, a lot of systems sold, they seem to be the company others are trying to get market share from. Their modules have the cues on board, is that good or bad. does it make more sense to use slats when doing a large finally with many mortar racks. does that mean you have to buy the 36m to do that option? Firetek. I like the fact of slats with cat5. nice system, not sure I want to invest in a system not based in US. Mongoose. I like very much as well. I kinda like a lot of their features more than others. They have been developing their system for I believe about 7 years. some where about the same time as cobra. However I think the mongoose in its current version has only been out for a year. I really like them based on information and videos I saw. Since it's relatively new.....I don't want to be in a system that may not be there down the road. since they seem to be gearing their system to "common" if you will, enabling the use of others manufacturers slats and cables, I have to believe they will be around down the road. One can pick on any company and find room for improvement. Because all these systems can do what I am seeking, I am trying figure out what system suits my situation best. Guess the next step is to probably try to go to shoots where many different systems are being used and talk to the shooters for my self.

I want to give you some reasons why to choose fireTEK.

1. Price: even the price at the first look can look almost teh same at the first view you will see fireTEK it is cheaper to start and cheaper to run.
- fireTEK modules can be used without any controller so you can start from a simple module which cost 699 USD (14.6 USD/channel). More f that... what happen if your system X does not work teh remote from any reasons or you just destroy it by mistake? NO SHOW... with fireTEK you can make a show
- at this price you can also make pyromusicals (the module can be controlled using an external player via time code, computer or android device via usb, external trigger). Check other systems how much you need to pay for a minimum setup of a pyromusical.
- a fireTEK module can be controlled from any other firing system using external trigger
- fireTEK does not have hidden consts... the price includes rails and lipo batteries... try to add rails and lipo to other systems and you will see the price goes much higher. The cables are expensive and much harder to find if you compare with UTP cables
- using only rails and normal UTP splitters you can save channels by firing same rail from multiple positions
- all our software and Android applications are free of charge

2. Features: fireTEK it is the most advanced system you can find on the market and offers all the features which can be found on all proffesional systems and some unique features... maybe now you not need it but if you will need in the future why need to change your system to be able to control for example some DMX devices... just take a look what you can do with only one fireTEK module

https://www.facebook.com/firetekfiringsystem/videos/703675679792284/?t=35

There are 10 flames of about $150 piece and also remain available all 48 pyro channels. With less money you cna impress your audience if you use some flames, lights or other DMX devices which can be reused.

3. Support - fireTEK offers 24/7 support and 5 years warranty for normal modules... We have an US distributor which can send you in 24 hours a new module if the one you have it refuse to work.

Also if you do not like the system you can send it back in 2 weeks and we will refund all the money.

Fireworks Phil
03-22-2018, 08:07 AM
I want to give you some reasons why to choose fireTEK.

1. Price: even the price at the first look can look almost teh same at the first view you will see fireTEK it is cheaper to start and cheaper to run.
- fireTEK modules can be used without any controller so you can start from a simple module which cost 699 USD (14.6 USD/channel). More f that... what happen if your system X does not work teh remote from any reasons or you just destroy it by mistake? NO SHOW... with fireTEK you can make a show
- at this price you can also make pyromusicals (the module can be controlled using an external player via time code, computer or android device via usb, external trigger). Check other systems how much you need to pay for a minimum setup of a pyromusical.
- a fireTEK module can be controlled from any other firing system using external trigger
- fireTEK does not have hidden consts... the price includes rails and lipo batteries... try to add rails and lipo to other systems and you will see the price goes much higher. The cables are expensive and much harder to find if you compare with UTP cables
- using only rails and normal UTP splitters you can save channels by firing same rail from multiple positions
- all our software and Android applications are free of charge

2. Features: fireTEK it is the most advanced system you can find on the market and offers all the features which can be found on all proffesional systems and some unique features... maybe now you not need it but if you will need in the future why need to change your system to be able to control for example some DMX devices... just take a look what you can do with only one fireTEK module

https://www.facebook.com/firetekfiringsystem/videos/703675679792284/?t=35

There are 10 flames of about $150 piece and also remain available all 48 pyro channels. With less money you cna impress your audience if you use some flames, lights or other DMX devices which can be reused.

3. Support - fireTEK offers 24/7 support and 5 years warranty for normal modules... We have an US distributor which can send you in 24 hours a new module if the one you have it refuse to work.

Also if you do not like the system you can send it back in 2 weeks and we will refund all the money.

Thank you very much for your reply. This is the first piece of informative information I have received about firetek. I have been to the ftek.eu website. Looks like it is an older one. I think there are some coding issues on that site. I tried emailing for price lists but never received anything. I believe my emails were never received. I can see error coding in the background of the web page which leads me to believe the emails were not received. At the bottom of the page, it says "2009-2015 fireTek company". thats 3 years ago. this was the page that came up when I googled firetek. Your system has a lot of great features. A lot of features that make it easy to use and maintain. However, Since I couldn't get information, back in January, I decided to go in another direction.

fireTEK
03-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. This is the first piece of informative information I have received about firetek. I have been to the ftek.eu website. Looks like it is an older one. I think there are some coding issues on that site. I tried emailing for price lists but never received anything. I believe my emails were never received. I can see error coding in the background of the web page which leads me to believe the emails were not received. At the bottom of the page, it says "2009-2015 fireTek company". thats 3 years ago. this was the page that came up when I googled firetek. Your system has a lot of great features. A lot of features that make it easy to use and maintain. However, Since I couldn't get information, back in January, I decided to go in another direction.

Thank you for l your feedback and it is not too late to expand with fireTEK because you can easily synchronize with any other system and also have access to new features.

We know the site it is old and does not have our latest products and our new features listed but we work on it and we hope to have a new one ready soon.

If you or anykne else has any questions about firetek just let me know.... send me an email on office@ftek.eu

vegassalute
03-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Thank you for l your feedback and it is not too late to expand with fireTEK because you can easily synchronize with any other system and also have access to new features.

We know the site it is old and does not have our latest products and our new features listed but we work on it and we hope to have a new one ready soon.

If you or anykne else has any questions about firetek just let me know.... send me an email on office@ftek.eu

I'd like more information on your system's ability to communicate & sync with other systems. I'd also like to see specs & pricing on the reusable flame cannons from the FB video you shared. PM me or email me at pjlevos@levosentertainment.com Thanks.

fireTEK
03-22-2018, 09:38 PM
I'd like more information on your system's ability to communicate & sync with other systems. I'd also like to see specs & pricing on the reusable flame cannons from the FB video you shared. PM me or email me at pjlevos@levosentertainment.com Thanks.

I just sent you an email. Please confirm on email if you receive it.