View Full Version : Is this legal consumer or 1.3g?

dirtysouthpyro
01-14-2018, 07:55 AM
If I wanted to cut open a couple 1.4g consumer canister shells and to remove the lift/burst charges is it legal for me to repackage that comp in a plastic shell like this from skylighter. (a small plastic shell like this (1.75in or less) from skiylighter.) Does the modification of fireworks change their legal classification?

hatsgoods
01-14-2018, 11:00 AM
If I wanted to cut open a couple 1.4g consumer canister shells and to remove the lift/burst charges is it legal for me to repackage that comp in a plastic shell like this from skylighter. (a small plastic shell like this (1.75in or less) from skiylighter.) Does the modification of fireworks change their legal classification?

i do belive it changes it 1.3. i know if you do it with a cake it does

PyroManiacs
01-15-2018, 01:14 PM
From my understanding, if you modify any consumer product from how it was originally constructed...it changes the class to 1.3.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-15-2018, 05:24 PM
The link to the plastic shell casing at skylighter isn't working--but I am going to assume you are looking at something like a 3" or 4" ball shell.

Is it legal for me to repackage that comp
As a hobbyist it is legal for you to make [construct] fireworks for your own personal use to shoot off at your own property. Once you want to transport that item you are dealing with DOT regulations for 1.3g items.
Also, once you assemble the item--if you do not shoot it right away--it must be stored in a magazine as per ATF regulations.

Does the modification of fireworks change their legal classification?
Harvesting lift powder, stars, etc from 1.4g shells means you no longer have a 1.4g item--you have an assortment of 1.3g building materials which fall under what I mentioned above.

One thing you must be VERY careful with--if you do this---is be aware that many of the canister shells are broken with flash powder. That means when you go cutting into a pre assembled shell the flash will have migrated throughout the shell and will be all over the stars inside making them something that needs to be handled with extreme care. Some shells are broken with black powder or rice hulls coated in black powder.
If you are interested in learning about building pyro safely and correctly I would recommend you get involved with a club in your area and seek out someone to mentor you. Also, I would highly recommend you join Ned Gorsky's site fireworking.com It is dedicated to the art and craft of building fireworks and there are some of the most knowledgeable people from across the globe on there.

displayfireworks1
01-15-2018, 08:06 PM
If you start taking apart consumer fireworks to make it a bigger fireworks item someone in law enforcement is going to think you are up to no good. Remember, there have been half ass terrorist attempts in United States using components of Consumer Fireworks. Testing legal theories is risky and expensive. You are, legally allowed to make explosives for your own use, but that concept ends at the point you make it, or made parts of it. Now that you made it and are standing there looking at it, its over. When you move past that point it starts to get legally complicated. I would have to type another 30 paragraphs to explain it. I think the best analogy to use is the product Tannerite. If you mix it up and shoot it within a a reasonable time frame at the same location your mixed it you are good. If you mix it at home and transport it to the target range, you no good. If you mixed it at the range and drive it home you are no good. If you mix it at home and store it in your basement overnight , you no good. Just because one part of the chain of events is legal for example your purchased it at a sporting goods store, does not mean all parts of the chain of events are legal. Even if that is the original intended purpose of the product, which is to make an explosive noise and effect.
This is where an ATF license gives some protection. I met a person at a PGI convention that told me he he transported his homemade fireworks shells to the PGI for years. He was always worried about getting stopped by the police. He purchased my ATF package and is now licensed. His ATF license now gives him protection to legally transport his fireworks to the PGI.
This is a brief and not all inclusive explanation. I'm not going to tell you to do or not do anything. Just know it may or may not be legally proper. This is why I tell fireworks enthusiast to become ATF licensed. No matter what pyro situation you find yourself in, you will always be at least an ATF licensed individual.

Kenny East
01-18-2018, 05:30 AM
Any homemade firework is 1.3.. Seems like an expensive way to go about getting larger shells. It would probably take like 5 60gram canister shells to mostly fill a 3" shell. Cheaper to make stars or get a type 54...

dirtysouthpyro
01-27-2018, 11:43 AM
I just now revisited this post and saw the link was broken. I was linking to 1" plastic artillery shells like the kind you can buy already loaded in a 6 pack for $2 or so at the store as "Mini Magnum" or other brands. After reading through this thread it seems that it isn't legal to experiment even with the small stuff. I definitely was aware 3" and 4" are always going to be 1.3g but I figured with the tiny stuff like 1" shells and the chemicals wouldn't be so easily available if they weren't legal to experiment with at all. I am already in the process of joining a club and will probably try to get my 54 before the end of the year so I will wait on the homebrew stuff until I have someone to help teach me in person.

Kenny East
01-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Even if you build it to consumer specs and limitations on composition, it still is 1.3... It's legal to make fireworks in a lot of states but modifying consumer... Is in the category of using a product for purposes other than specified by the manufacturer. Newer fireworks come with the lable " it's a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with it's labeling" It can be fun to build and experiment with new formulas, just do it safely and legally.

dirtysouthpyro
01-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Agreed Kenny that is the conclusion I came to as well. I only ever wanted to experiment with 1" shells just out of curiosity but like I mentioned in a previous post but I am working on both joining a club as well as well as researching getting my 54. I certainly plan on continuing to work with pyro but I need to get cool with the ATF as well as establish a knowledgeable circle of friends in pyro before I go any further than where I am currently at. I used to own a home within 2 hours of both WFBoom and American Wholesale Fireworks but sadly I wasn't into pyro at that time of my life and now I know what I am missing out on compared to where I am now