PDA

View Full Version : 3" Flying fish shells

yoshisbar
11-13-2017, 11:06 PM
So thanks to skylighter's going out of business sale, I have accumulated over 500'++ of flying fish fuse and crackling fish fuse (maximized the shipping costs for everything else). Also I have over 100 sets of 3" paper hemis. So my winter project is some nice simple shells.. I am looking for a little advice for the best way to do these.
I have made smaller 2" and 2.5" before, work ok, but going to 3" is a step. Going from 40-50 pieces of fuse to 100+ might make a difference. I have done them before with dextrin and bp slurry but for the work, just throwing them in angle cut didn't make much difference in performance.
I have made salutes, rockets, color shells and such, so not new but just throwing around ideas..
I have done both black powder and slow flash and I do like the slow flash a little better as it seems to light the fuse better..
And this year I have my magazine so while you boys maybe shooting consumer fireworks for the new year in PA>>BECAUSE THEY ARE LEGAL<<< I will have a few 3" shells mixed in mine!! BECAUSE I am legal and can!!

Kenny East
11-14-2017, 05:41 AM
On most effects fuse priming isn't required... As they take fire very well. I don't usually angle cut the pieces, in the interest of saving time... I bundle a few strands of fuse, about 3 feet long together. Cut through all with an anvil cutter.
Usually use media coated with bp and a small tissue flash bag if i want a harder break... I say media coated bp, since i don't have a supply of rice hulls, i usually use large flake saw dust or oatmeal coated with bp.