PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Black Friday sale

meisterhund
11-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Are there any rumblings regarding Cobra holiday deals? I'm ready to spend some money. Santa Scott let's get this holiday season started.

meisterhund
11-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Hey Guys,
I know its my first post...new to the licensed pyro world this year...if the stars align my 54 and Va. shooters license will show up on the same day shortly!

hawkeye0323
11-17-2017, 11:21 PM
I'm looking to get a Cobra setup also. Hope there's a sale.

djsmurf
11-18-2017, 12:09 AM
The sale will begin at 12AM EST November 24th and end at 12AM EST November 25th.

18R Basic Remote - Reg. $199.99, Sale $149.99 (save $50)
18R2 Pro Remote - Reg. $349.99, Sale $299.99 (save $50)
18M Firing Module - Reg. $299.99, Sale $239.99 (save $60)
36M Firing Module w/ Slats - Reg. $599.99, Sale $524.99 (save $75)
36M Firing Module w/ On-board Cues - Reg. $649.99, Sale $574.99 (save $75)
Audio Box - Reg. $349.99, Sale $299.99 (save $50)
Control Panel - Reg. $199.99, Sale $149.99 (save $50)
Accessories and Replacement Parts - 10% Off
Talons and MJG Igniters - 10% Off

vegassalute
11-20-2017, 04:58 PM
I'm in! More mods!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Amen to that Vegas!! :cool:

CMiller
11-20-2017, 09:08 PM
I've got a 18m and a 36m w/slats and 50ft cables, I'm trying to decide on another 36m with shorter cables or 2 18m's. What's the general opinion?

Rick_In_Tampa
11-20-2017, 10:07 PM
I've got a 18m and a 36m w/slats and 50ft cables, I'm trying to decide on another 36m with shorter cables or 2 18m's. What's the general opinion?

Depends on how you setup your show. The 36 cue mod sounds great if you have most of your effects in one centralized location. The 18 cue mods work better if you have your effects spread out. I never got into slats, but I can see where they would work well if you mounted them to a shooting platform or mortar rack. I don't fire mortars with initiators so....

CMiller
11-21-2017, 10:22 AM
My original plan was three stations, with the two outside being 100ft apart, for the nine shot cakes and NOAB's, to get just a little overlap. Then the center for the main 200's and multi shot 500's. I'm now thinking that I'd separate the 12 - 16 shot cakes and the 24, 36 etc at about 30ft off center.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-21-2017, 10:45 PM
I don't have any idea how many of each type cake you plan to use, but it sounds to me like you're going to want to have firing mods in and amongst the stations. If not, you're going to have TONS of very long runs of scab wiring to do if you want to bring everything back to a central point.

Do you have a program like MS Visio or some other drafting type program that will allow you to lay everything out and check the distances between the firing mod and the cakes/effects? That's a huge help because you can move things around to optimize your cues and determine the lengths of initiators or talons or scab wire runs.

esgrillo
11-21-2017, 11:37 PM
I would suggest in general while you are building your mod count up that the 18ms give you more flexibility and can reduce scab use. That being said, this year I am getting all 36m's since I already have quite a few 18ms and I am strictly looking at cost/cue. If you script your show as early as possible you will know exactly what will work for you.

CMiller
11-22-2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I've decided on two 18m's, for the flexibility reason. I don't have any software yet for planning the show. I'm trying to match/combine similiar effects and work from there, its mind blowing with the amount of different items!!!

vegassalute
11-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Depends on how you setup your show. The 36 cue mod sounds great if you have most of your effects in one centralized location. The 18 cue mods work better if you have your effects spread out. I never got into slats, but I can see where they would work well if you mounted them to a shooting platform or mortar rack. I don't fire mortars with initiators so....

I'm glad to see this, I thought I was the only one that never went the slat route ;)

Rick_In_Tampa
11-22-2017, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I've decided on two 18m's, for the flexibility reason. I don't have any software yet for planning the show. I'm trying to match/combine similiar effects and work from there, its mind blowing with the amount of different items!!!

If you can swing it, get the Cobra Show Creator software. I'm not pleased that the purchase price only gives you a two year license, but, it will give you two years to get used to scripting your shows. Then you should be able to just use the excel spreadsheet after that.

Also, if you haven't already, watch the videos of all your effects and note the REAL duration vice the info the vendor publishes on their website. I found one that was off by 11 seconds! That's a lot of black sky time. Obviously, when you know the real duration of the effects you can avoid those black sky moments.

Based on the info you provided, I think you made the right call with the 18M's.

hawkeye0323
11-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Looking to order some stuff. What version do you suggest

Rick_In_Tampa
11-23-2017, 09:43 PM
I'm glad to see this, I thought I was the only one that never went the slat route ;)

No Sir you are not alone!! Not the slat person here. I totally get the lower cost thing, but seriously... When your level of interest rises to the point of investing thousands in a firing system, I just don't see the point in going the slats route right off the bat. I recognize their potential usefulness in certain situations; and when/if I ever get to that point, maybe I'll change my mind. Just not there yet.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Looking to order some stuff. What version do you suggest

If by "version" you mean software OS, I'm running 5.0. The mods I order tomorrow will be 5.0 too.

If you're talking about mods, I'd follow what Ed said above.

CMiller
11-23-2017, 10:57 PM
I just ordered two 18m's and 100 four meter talons. The sale is on now.

esgrillo
11-24-2017, 12:09 AM
I just ordered two 18m's and 100 four meter talons. The sale is on now.

good choice. If you need any help with scripting or suggestions on fireworks. Just post. Lots of folks willing to help out here.

hawkeye0323
11-24-2017, 01:27 AM
Tried to order and wouldn't work. Something about shipping. I'll try in the morning.

vegassalute
11-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Well, I just took the plunge and purchased a couple 36Ms. I saw them at NFA and damn, they look so cool!

cherrybomb1
11-25-2017, 12:45 AM
I just got done taking the plunge myself on the 36m and some boxes of the MJG initiators.Now I'm going to have to get my 18m's updated to firmware 5.0.2.Does anyone know if the issues with the igniters has been resolved.I had a problem with continuity and if i remember right some other forum members did also.A few said they were looking into the issue but i never heard if they got a response.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-26-2017, 05:38 PM
Tried to order and wouldn't work. Something about shipping. I'll try in the morning.

I had a similar issue trying to order firewire initiators and talons on the same order. Apparently you can't order both together. If you order each separately, it will work. Assuming that's your issue of course.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Well, I just took the plunge and purchased a couple 36Ms. I saw them at NFA and damn, they look so cool!

Congrats Vegas! I'm sure you're going to love them.

I've got 8 of the 18M's and an audio box on the way. It's going to be a great 4th next year for all of us it appears!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know if the issues with the igniters has been resolved.I had a problem with continuity and if i remember right some other forum members did also.A few said they were looking into the issue but i never heard if they got a response.

I believe it was Berzerk who identified an issue with the talons. I don't recall what the issue was specifically, but I'm sure you can do a search and find the thread.

Additionally, I believe it was Ed Grillo (esgrillo) who identified the specific version number of the talon's that were bad. Version 7 rings a bell, but you'd be better served sending him a PM to clarify.

Hope that helps.

esgrillo
11-27-2017, 12:23 AM
I believe it was Berzerk who identified an issue with the talons. I don't recall what the issue was specifically, but I'm sure you can do a search and find the thread.

Additionally, I believe it was Ed Grillo (esgrillo) who identified the specific version number of the talon's that were bad. Version 7 rings a bell, but you'd be better served sending him a PM to clarify.

Hope that helps.

Rick, you are correct. Version 7 talons will not operate in multiples to match Cobra recommendations on # of talons per cue. Cobra sells only version 8 so there should be no problem. Honestly not sure if anyone is selling ver 7 anymore but I would not use them unless you are using 1 per cue. The version is stamped on the talon clip.

esgrillo
11-27-2017, 12:26 AM
I just got done taking the plunge myself on the 36m and some boxes of the MJG initiators.Now I'm going to have to get my 18m's updated to firmware 5.0.2.Does anyone know if the issues with the igniters has been resolved.I had a problem with continuity and if i remember right some other forum members did also.A few said they were looking into the issue but i never heard if they got a response.

I had a problem with a couple initiators too. Contacted MJG but they did not indicate there widespread problem. Hopefully it wont be a problem again.

hawkeye0323
11-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Santa came today. Had a box with Cobra tape on it. I wonder what's inside?

Rick_In_Tampa
12-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Santa came today. Had a box with Cobra tape on it. I wonder what's inside?

Lol.. Well Santa told me personally that anything that shows up with "Cobra" on the box is okay to open before Christmas. So go for it, and don't forget to post some pics of the goodies!!

Rick_In_Tampa
12-15-2017, 06:51 PM
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas thanks to the Black Friday sale!!

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2781&stc=1

cherrybomb1
12-15-2017, 08:22 PM
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas thanks to the Black Friday sale!!

That looks awesome Rick!.I'm still waiting for my 36M...hopefully I get it by the end of the month.I did get my 2 18M and the 18r2 sent back to get updated to the new firmware update and got the confirmation today that there on there way back.I will show my wife the picture of what you got for Christmas so maybe she will start cutting me some slack!lol

Rick_In_Tampa
12-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Lol... I'm always happy to be an example of how big things *could* be. Tell her you're doing it for her! You know how much she loves your shows and you're only trying to make them better for her.

If you've been married less than a year, it might work. After that......

Zippster
12-16-2017, 03:04 PM
If you've been married less than a year, it might work. After that......

Aint that the truth...lol