PDA

View Full Version : how can i protect my order while i'm loading/unloading it in the rain?

Icooclast
11-10-2017, 01:58 AM
so far i've been lucky enough to have it be a rainless day on the days my fireworks were delivered in the past, but i always worry that "this time may be different" (yes, i am a pessimist) but it is still a worry i have to deal with (well, that we all have to deal with)

please note:

i am not talking about storing them in or outside, that's easy get a tarp. i'm talking about when cases are being taken off the truck 1 at a time how do i protect them until i get them on the porch/inside. it may be a stupid question, but it is a problem i worry about. because you never know when it'll rain. and from my understand you can't postpone your shipment date to a day it's not raining, because the weather isn's really predictable (within in specific time frames)

thanks in advance for your ideas. and (hopefully) not flaming me. lol :(

dirtysouthpyro
11-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Throw a tarp on the on the cases while they are still in the truck?

DexTee
11-12-2017, 02:28 AM
Honestly, the cardboard boxes should be more than ample protection from the rain. It would take a LOT for water to actually break through the cardboard, and any incidental moisture that may enter over a long period in the rain can be removed simply storing the items out of their shipping boxes, at least for a period of time to let the moisture evaporate before returning them to the shipping boxes for easier stackable storage .. also allowing time for the shipping boxes to dry out, of course.

I live out in the country, so I am speaking by experience where carriers will drop off boxes that may literally be outside in the rain for a full day, and VERY rarely has that even been an issue with any product inside the boxes getting wet or gaining excessive moisture, and it sounds like you are only talking about a few minutes at most getting the boxes from the delivery truck to a covered or inside area.

Hope this helps, and happy and safe shooting!

Icooclast
11-12-2017, 03:36 AM
Honestly, the cardboard boxes should be more than ample protection from the rain. It would take a LOT for water to actually break through the cardboard, and any incidental moisture that may enter over a long period in the rain can be removed simply storing the items out of their shipping boxes, at least for a period of time to let the moisture evaporate before returning them to the shipping boxes for easier stackable storage .. also allowing time for the shipping boxes to dry out, of course.

I live out in the country, so I am speaking by experience where carriers will drop off boxes that may literally be outside in the rain for a full day, and VERY rarely has that even been an issue with any product inside the boxes getting wet or gaining excessive moisture, and it sounds like you are only talking about a few minutes at most getting the boxes from the delivery truck to a covered or inside area.

Hope this helps, and happy and safe shooting!

thanks. and you are right, i'm planning to just move them from the truck to a covered place. will be only a few steps to like 3 min. walk (depending on where the truck parks. maybe out in the rain for a few min. so, now that i'm not as worried about that... i guess i'll just pray that if it has to rain that day, it's only light/slow but steady. lol. if anyone would like to add something i'd love to hear different opinions.

cptnding
11-12-2017, 04:01 AM
If you are going to be there when it gets delivered you have no worries no matter how hard it might be raining. You might get soaked to the balls pretty quick but it takes a while for rain to soak through the cardboard and then soak into the product enough to damage it. Exposed fuse will fail with very little direct rain or dew.

Icooclast
11-12-2017, 05:14 AM
If you are going to be there when it gets delivered you have no worries no matter how hard it might be raining. You might get soaked to the balls pretty quick but it takes a while for rain to soak through the cardboard and then soak into the product enough to damage it. Exposed fuse will fail with very little direct rain or dew.

thanks for putting a cherry on top of what dex was saying. it helps the worrying. if anyone knows some other problems related to weather, let me know (or if you have something different to say about the rain topic) i'm all ears (or should i say *eyes*) lol

shake the cove
11-12-2017, 01:06 PM
I have carried both 1.3 and 1.4 in their cardboard boxes over150ft in rain heavy enough to get your clothes soaked but did not affect the product. Remember not to put on the wet ground, the cardboard will wick the moisture up and your bottom will fall out..LOL and most of the fuse for each tube is located low. Not as much a problem with 1.3 as they usually have a non-static plastic bag to protect the product.

vegassalute
11-12-2017, 03:40 PM
We've unloaded in blizzards & monsoons, the boxes tend to protect everything just fine, though for sustained precipitation, a tarp would be wise. Good luck and be safe!

Kenny East
11-13-2017, 05:08 AM
Another solution which avoids the rainy delivery... Have your order shipped to a cross dock or freight terminal, then pick it up when it's not raining. I've used a local green house for a delivery, made arrangements with the owner first. Could speed up the home delivery process by requesting a truck with a lift gate, and buying a pallet jack to move whole pallets into your garage.

DexTee
11-13-2017, 12:06 PM
and buying a pallet jack to move whole pallets into your garage.

Pallets of fireworks ... yummy!! :)

Icooclast
11-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Another solution which avoids the rainy delivery... Have your order shipped to a cross dock or freight terminal, then pick it up when it's not raining. I've used a local green house for a delivery, made arrangements with the owner first. Could speed up the home delivery process by requesting a truck with a lift gate, and buying a pallet jack to move whole pallets into your garage.

well, i'm not a fireworks retailer or anything, just average joe who buys fireworks. so, buying a pallet jack is likely out of the question. i was thinking about getting them to put it on a truck with a lift gate and possibly using the jack that they already have. but i'm not sure how to get all that. but then they'd leave the pallet(s) on the sidewalk for us to unload.

the last time i ordered fireworks i didn't get a ton, but i got a lot, and it took us around 3 hours or so to unload them, and i felt bad for the truck driver. i didn't want to delay him like that. so i was hoping to get a truck for a lift gate and a pallet jack to just put them all on the sidewalk, so he could go on his way, and we could unload them without that little bit of stress being there.

but i don't know how to get that stuff, since my shipping has always been through who i ordered it from (like 76fireworks) they handled all the shipping. so, if i go through them again how do i get the lift gate and such?

dirtysouthpyro
11-13-2017, 02:25 PM
but i don't know how to get that stuff, since my shipping has always been through who i ordered it from (like 76fireworks) they handled all the shipping. so, if i go through them again how do i get the lift gate and such?

I have never ordered fireworks online but I have had other things delivered by freight in the past. The trucking company has always called 24-48 hours prior to delivery to set up a time and verify someone will be there to accept the delivery. You can tell them you need a lift gate although in my experience a lift gate usually costs around $50 extra so I don't know if you could pay that directly to the freight company or what. If you tell 76 (or whatever other wholesaler you use) that you need a lift gate prior to shipping I am sure they could work it out for you.

displayfireworks1
11-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Speaking of "Lift Gate Service" what exactly is the criteria for this? What exactly does it mean? During shipments I have been ask this for a few cases to 14 cases upward. Is this optional? Can someone in the business please explain?

yoshisbar
11-13-2017, 10:39 PM
Speaking of "Lift Gate Service" what exactly is the criteria for this? What exactly does it mean? During shipments I have been ask this for a few cases to 14 cases upward. Is this optional? Can someone in the business please explain?

Dave I can explain this easy! Remember that 520lbs of fireworks you got and had to go get, or someone got lol!!. Well "lift gate service" is simple. Big trucks are "dock height" back up to the dock unload.. Lift gate enables them to drive down your street, to your house, and a gate on the back of the truck lifts them from the truck height to the street level, I had this when my pool was delivered because to heavy to lift off the truck, they charge $39-$79 depending on company, trust me I know this from years of a cheap boss at work who wouldn't buy a tow motor to unload trucks!!

cherrybomb1
11-14-2017, 01:21 AM
My order from Wfboom earlier in the year came by a truck with a lift gate.I didn't specify anything with my my order.It was the first Time I ordered fireworks online.The truck driver had a pallet jack and wheeled them right into the garage.I did slip him a 20.00 for his troubles.You must of had a hell of a lot of fireworks for it to take 3 hours to unload!

Kenny East
11-14-2017, 05:29 AM
Usually most freight carriers can accommodate a request for a lift gate as long as they have advanced notice... Placing a comment in the comments section on an order form or speaking with the shipper ahead of time to request lift gate service. As for the pallet jack, some expedite drivers have them, some don't... You can get one fairly cheap from harbor freight... Around $250 without a super coupon. Not really cheap but it's a one time purchase, and they can be used for other things... Great for changing tires on a lawn mower.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-14-2017, 09:56 PM
We had 8 pallets of fireworks delivered this year from SO76 and we asked for the "lift gate " service. SO76 arranged it with the shipping company so we didn't have to do anything. The truck arrived with two guys and a pallet jack and they offloaded all the pallets in about 30 min. The pallets were all wrapped in cellophane too. No weather issues to worry about.

Big Worm
11-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Trash bags

displayfireworks1
11-18-2017, 11:12 PM
That "Lift Gate" charge sounds like some McDonlads "Supersize" up-charge BS. If you do not get the lift gate who hands you the cases from the truck the driver? Can you pay for a lift gate and he still just dumps it in the street? If the truck shows up and has lift gate and you did not pay for it, will he refuse to turn it on? Or, is it your responsibility to get it out of the truck?
On one my orders they called and said they could not get the truck down my street , it was a tractor trailer. My wife meet the guy at an agreed upon location with my truck. He transferred the product by himself over to my truck. I gave my wife cash to give him but he absolutely refused to accept it. It FedEx. This actually happened more than once. Another time a truck pulled up to my house and used the lift gate to lower the pallet to the street, then used a pallet jack and wheeled it down the driveway into my garage. It took him 3 minutes, the was a common carrier. Another time I went to a truck depot after I got a call and just picked the product up at their depot.
https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images/organizations/a876eec8-484a-40f5-a255-f3c99ec76e41/migration/shopping.jpg?v=1459494971429?v=20160525175701

MtnViewPyro
11-18-2017, 11:53 PM
I’ve only had 3 deliveries so I don’t have a lot of knowledge about how they do things but, in those 3 deliveries I never paid for an extra fee and the driver did something different each time. The first delivery the driver lowered the lift gate to the height of my truck and put the pallet in truck bed via pallet jack. The second delivery, the driver did the same except he didn’t put pallet all the way into truck but helped unload it into the back. The third delivery, the driver didn’t do anything except open door and give me invoice. I guess it all depends on driver and company. I’m like you though, this is BS, in my opinion, the lift gate only makes things easier for both parties.

Kenny East
11-19-2017, 01:33 AM
I used to drive class b expedite, my company had a 100% no touch freight policy... That said when we ran into hand unpacking the truck due to not having a forklift or loading dock, we usually will help unload it... If your wheels aren't turning you ain't earning. Never had a load where the parties receiving the shipment had requested a lift gate. Have had them try to refuse shipment due to my truck not having a lift gate... Most receivers will accept that they have to unload and break down skids once informed that they are being charged detention for delaying my departure.

displayfireworks1
11-19-2017, 11:02 AM
This may be one of the reasons residential address deliveries cost more. You can expect a business to help unload but I'm not sure you can expect a residential customer to do the same. I thought the time we picked up the product at the truck depot was a great idea. Remember not everyone wants a big truck unloading fireworks in front of their house for all their neighbors to see. Years back a few people had 1.3 shipped by a common carrier and held at the depot until picked up. They did this under the legal theory that the 1.3 stayed in commerce at the depot until picked up and was exempt for special storage requirements. Thats a good one right. LOL Something changed that and I am not sure exactly what it was, and now I believe that can not occur. When this was occurring it did cost more than a 1.4 shipment but the price was still reasonable.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-19-2017, 05:10 PM
That "Lift Gate" charge sounds like some McDonlads "Supersize" up-charge BS. If you do not get the lift gate who hands you the cases from the truck the driver?

It's all a load of BS. No pun intended. When the USPS delivers a package to my house, I'm not required to meet the truck and go out and get the box/package myself. When the pizza delivery guy brings me my dinner, I'm not required to go and take it out of his car myself. So when we PAY to have our fireworks delivered, why does the definition change? Since when does "delivery" mean "buyer has to unload the truck?" Only in America can you pay to have something delivered, and then have to pay EXTRA to actually have the stuff left at your house!!

Icooclast
11-19-2017, 09:11 PM
It's all a load of BS. No pun intended. When the USPS delivers a package to my house, I'm not required to meet the truck and go out and get the box/package myself. When the pizza delivery guy brings me my dinner, I'm not required to go and take it out of his car myself. So when we PAY to have our fireworks delivered, why does the definition change? Since when does "delivery" mean "buyer has to unload the truck?" Only in America can you pay to have something delivered, and then have to pay EXTRA to actually have the stuff left at your house!!

well, i imagine it takes longer to unload a truck at a home address, because people work at a company who are paid to unload it when they show up with it. and there may not be any at a home delivery. like i said, my order took about 3 hours to unload. so i imagine it messed with his scheduel. after all businesses count on deliveries around a specific time, but if a home address delivery delays it it throws everyone off for the rest of the day.

and it ticks me off when usps leaves packages at my door (they never knock) so if i don't stay vigilant, it'll sit out there for who knows how long and as for the pizza delivery guy, that's apart of why he gets a tip. it's like a luxory tax, imo. he drives to you and brings it to your door. and let's also keep it real: the pizza guy and mail truck are not carrying several heavy boxes from place to place. i mean how much can a pizza or a single package really weigh? there's just a lot of other things that i can see going into that extra fee you pay for have fireworks delivered to your home.

i've gotten 3 or 4 orders of fireworks delivered to my house over the years, and the residental delivery fee has only been around 50-60 bucks. i think that's not so bad. it'd cost me more than that to find a driver (i don't drive) rent a truck and then load and unload the fireworks twice. with a shipping company: i just unload them. so even if it was $100 i'd still save money and it's more convient for me to boot.

Kenny East
11-19-2017, 09:17 PM
It really would depend on the driver. Also if you note that shipping charges are usually less for shipping to a business rather than a residence. Not sure the reason behind the charge but a few of the companies i order mortar tubes and product from charge more for home delivery. It is a bit different talking about freight shipping vs. a guy dropping off Chinese food, pizza or one small package.

Icooclast
11-19-2017, 10:04 PM
It is a bit different talking about freight shipping vs. a guy dropping off Chinese food, pizza or one small package.

that is the short version of what i was trying to say. thanks Kenny

Rick_In_Tampa
11-19-2017, 10:18 PM
and it ticks me off when usps leaves packages at my door (they never knock) so if i don't stay vigilant, it'll sit out there for who knows how long and as for the pizza delivery guy, that's apart of why he gets a tip. it's like a luxory tax, imo. he drives to you and brings it to your door. and let's also keep it real: the pizza guy and mail truck are not carrying several heavy boxes from place to place. i mean how much can a pizza or a single package really weigh? there's just a lot of other things that i can see going into that extra fee you pay for have fireworks delivered to your home.

Unlike the pizza guy who showed up yesterday with my dinner and got a $5 tip for an $11 pizza, the FedEx guy got a $100 tip in addition to the $350 delivery fee for my last fireworks delivery. So IMHO I shouldn't have to lift a finger. Besides, the operative part of "delivering" something is actually leaving it with the person who paid for it. Not just showing up with it. Some delivery service left $1K worth of sound system on my doorstep yesterday too! They never even bothered to knock on the door to let me know it was out there. Someone could have walked off with all of it and I would have never known.

I don't mean to be argumentative. I just think the retail folks can do a better job informing the customers of what the "delivery service" really means. It's not always as clear as one would think. I had a 800lb gun safe show up years ago and the delivery guy left it sitting on the apron of the drive. I called the company and they said that's all they're responsible to do. They called it "curbside delivery." They said I was responsible for getting it into my house from there. That would have been great information to have BEFORE they dropped it on my drive apron!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-19-2017, 10:21 PM
It is a bit different talking about freight shipping vs. a guy dropping off Chinese food, pizza or one small package.

Absolutely right! And so are the expectations, right? Or maybe it's just me. Maybe I need to lower my expectations or learn to ask the right questions.

Icooclast
11-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Unlike the pizza guy who showed up yesterday with my dinner and got a $5 tip for an $11 pizza, the FedEx guy got a $100 tip in addition to the $350 delivery fee for my last fireworks delivery. So IMHO I shouldn't have to lift a finger. Besides, the operative part of "delivering" something is actually leaving it with the person who paid for it. Not just showing up with it. Some delivery service left $1K worth of sound system on my doorstep yesterday too! They never even bothered to knock on the door to let me know it was out there. Someone could have walked off with all of it and I would have never known.

I don't mean to be argumentative. I just think the retail folks can do a better job informing the customers of what the "delivery service" really means. It's not always as clear as one would think. I had a 800lb gun safe show up years ago and the delivery guy left it sitting on the apron of the drive. I called the company and they said that's all they're responsible to do. They called it "curbside delivery." They said I was responsible for getting it into my house from there. That would have been great information to have BEFORE they dropped it on my drive apron!

i know what you mean. i wish it was included in shipping cost too. but even when i worked at Applebee's and our deliveries. the truck driver brought them inside and a manager and a couple employees put it into the coolers and freezers. so even at buisness location the driver brings them off the truck, but the employees had to do this themselves. i've worked about 6 or so different places and that's how it worked with all food and beer deliveries. the driver just took it to the door. maybe it's an insurance issue? maybe their drivers aren't covered under insurance for getting hurt while helping unload? i know i wasn't allowed on the truck one time to get my fireworks, because it was an insurance risk. so i had to take them off the truck 1-by-1. (this was one of my smaller orders, though)maybe that's it? if so, it's a good reason. and wouldn't surprise me, those insurance assholes are always trying not to pay.

Kenny East
11-20-2017, 08:05 AM
I would really just plan for the worst, that you get a lazy driver... If they help cool... If not... It just cuts into their time and ability to make more money. I would also note if they quote a higher amount of shipping cost for residential, it's probably to cover the extra unload time and inconvenience of driving a truck through a neighborhood.. Wouldn't say to expect less but it's always a safer idea to plan for the worst, or have a back up plan... If the driver calls and says he can't get his truck into your neighborhood...