PDA

View Full Version : My First Slice

MtnViewPyro
11-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Just wanted to share with you guys shooting my first slice off. Had to do it before complete darkness because it was about to start pouring down rain. The slice was a lot louder than expected from just watching them in videos.

https://youtu.be/SpugF03gD0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpugF03gD0s&feature=youtu.be

Icooclast
11-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Just wanted to share with you guys shooting my first slice off. Had to do it before complete darkness because it was about to start pouring down rain. The slice was a lot louder than expected from just watching them in videos.

that's cool. i wish i could order those, but i don't have a permit and such, nor do i know how to get one. i've always been reluctant to get one, because i have no ideas of the prices of the bigger stuff or even the slices on 76 whole sale, because it doesn't give you prices. just says "permit required." but that does look good. did you get any other slices with different effects?

cptnding
11-06-2017, 12:14 AM

That one is one of my favorites. You are going to love those slices in your shows. Check out 76's fanslice bombards and the crossette slices if you get a chance. They are very good as well. Nice shoot site by the way!

MtnViewPyro
11-06-2017, 12:29 AM
that's cool. i wish i could order those, but i don't have a permit and such, nor do i know how to get one. i've always been reluctant to get one, because i have no ideas of the prices of the bigger stuff or even the slices on 76 whole sale, because it doesn't give you prices. just says "permit required." but that does look good. did you get any other slices with different effects?

Icooclast, if you use electronic firing you can show proof to 76 and then fill out their required form for purchase. It isn’t really a big deal, they just want to make sure you aren’t going to blow yourself up or anyone around you. Most of their Pro products that require permit are only ported and have no visco, so they just need to know you know what to do with that and also had to properly support the product so it won’t fall over etc.

The 7s fanslice I purchased came assorted, so it comes 4 to case with 4 different effects. I also purchase one of their 13s fansweeps. That one was not an assortment but comes 6 to a case. I will shoot that one off sometime in the near future and post.

MtnViewPyro
11-06-2017, 12:35 AM
That one is one of my favorites. You are going to love those slices in your shows. Check out 76's fanslice bombards and the crossette slices if you get a chance. They are very good as well. Nice shoot site by the way!

Yeah I’m really excited. I was excited to incorporate these in shows going forward after watching shows from this site last 4th. However, after seeing in person I’m so impressed and excited. I didn’t go with the bombards and crossettes this time cause this will be just for a very small New Year Eve show and don’t want to give away all my tricks for next 4th lol. Thanks about the shoot site. There are two trees to the right that I have to deal with, other than that it would be perfect.

Icooclast
11-06-2017, 03:59 AM
Icooclast, if you use electronic firing you can show proof to 76 and then fill out their required form for purchase. It isn’t really a big deal, they just want to make sure you aren’t going to blow yourself up or anyone around you. Most of their Pro products that require permit are only ported and have no visco, so they just need to know you know what to do with that and also had to properly support the product so it won’t fall over etc.

The 7s fanslice I purchased came assorted, so it comes 4 to case with 4 different effects. I also purchase one of their 13s fansweeps. That one was not an assortment but comes 6 to a case. I will shoot that one off sometime in the near future and post.

thanks for the info. i plan on slowly introducing electronic firing, bit-by-bit.

Mattp
11-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Sooo cool!!!!...I also willbe using them for the first time this year.. and am very excited

esgrillo
11-07-2017, 08:55 PM
looks good... used a couple cases of that one my last show. You're going really like them and so will your spectators.

PGH_Pyro
11-07-2017, 09:42 PM
the slices I used at a show i did , last Summer REALLY got a LOT of spectator response... more than salutes or anything ...

Stormcrow
11-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Nice. Can't wait to add these to my show. I would love to see recommendations on securing these. I've seen some people tape them in a large brick. Not a huge fan of that.

MtnViewPyro
11-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Nice. Can't wait to add these to my show. I would love to see recommendations on securing these. I've seen some people tape them in a large brick. Not a huge fan of that.

Hey Stormcrow,

Not in this video, but for my show I built my own racks using pegboard. Then I just will use zip ties through the pegboard to attach the slices and sweeps. I can attach one on both sides of the pegboard so a little bit of pegboard will go a long ways, considering most of these sweeps and slices are not very big.

MtnViewPyro
11-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Sooo cool!!!!...I also willbe using them for the first time this year.. and am very excited

Me too Matt. I think they will be a big hit, esgrillo and PGH_Pyro have confirmed crowds really enjoy them.

DexTee
11-12-2017, 02:37 AM
I used the Spirit of 76 13-shot crossette slices this past year ... they exceeded expectations for sure, great items!

Also, though not indicated on the packaging, you could put an ematch on both ends to fire simultaneously, and have the effect go from both outsides back into center. So the effect I produced using 4 slices was --> Middle to out, then left to right, then right to left, then outsides to middle, all in smooth succession.
The crowd was very impressed by the effects and performance.

For stabilization, the slices were all heavily strapping taped together (that tape with fiberglass strands run through it; VERY strong), then I used large cinder blocks on the front and back sides. The cinder blocks are way heavy, and there are better methods out there, but that is what I had, and they worked just fine.

shake the cove
11-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Those 1.4 pro items are the future. I see them becoming more and more prevalent for displays. Hopefully the feds don't muck it up and send it to the 1.3 category.

DexTee
11-13-2017, 12:04 PM
the slices I used at a show i did , last Summer REALLY got a LOT of spectator response... more than salutes or anything ...

Agreed .. my crowd was thrilled at the salutes, but the fan slices' performance were absolutely jaw-dropping to them!

Rick_In_Tampa
11-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Thanks to Esgrillo my SO76 list of "specialty items" went from this last year:

Red Strobes (60sec)
11s Super Sweep Twilight Glitter Comet w/ Multicolor Mine

To this for next year:

140s Candle Barrage RWB Asst (30sec)
7s FanSlice Red Bombard w/ Red Tail w/ Red mine (30mm)
7s FanSlice Blue Bombard w/ Blue Tail w/ Blue Mine (30mm)
7s FanSlice Silver Bombard w/ Silver Tail w/ Silver Mine (30mm)
13s FanSweep Red Crossette (25mm)
Gold Wave Comet (40mm)
Red Star Comet (40mm)
Purple Star Comet (40mm)
Red Flame (15sec)
Assorted Flames (1sec)
3m Gold Gerb w/ e-match (30sec)
Red Strobes (60sec)
11s SuperSweep Silver Cascade w/ Red Mine
7s FanSlice Silver Swirl (30mm)
Assorted Flames (30sec)
13s FanSweep Silver Cascade Comet w/ Red Mine (25mm)

Thanks Ed!! :cool:

Rick_In_Tampa
11-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Those things are awesome aren't they? Do yourself a favor (if you haven't already) and watch the SO76 1.4G demo shows from PGI this year. You will get TONS of ideas for how to put a show together using these "specialty items."

Rick_In_Tampa
11-14-2017, 10:12 PM

Look for a thread called "Comet Racks" in this same area. Page 2 specifically. Lots of good pictures that I think will help you.

MtnViewPyro
11-15-2017, 12:17 AM
Thanks to Esgrillo my SO76 list of "specialty items" went from this last year:

Red Strobes (60sec)
11s Super Sweep Twilight Glitter Comet w/ Multicolor Mine

To this for next year:

140s Candle Barrage RWB Asst (30sec)
7s FanSlice Red Bombard w/ Red Tail w/ Red mine (30mm)
7s FanSlice Blue Bombard w/ Blue Tail w/ Blue Mine (30mm)
7s FanSlice Silver Bombard w/ Silver Tail w/ Silver Mine (30mm)
13s FanSweep Red Crossette (25mm)
Gold Wave Comet (40mm)
Red Star Comet (40mm)
Purple Star Comet (40mm)
Red Flame (15sec)
Assorted Flames (1sec)
3m Gold Gerb w/ e-match (30sec)
Red Strobes (60sec)
11s SuperSweep Silver Cascade w/ Red Mine
7s FanSlice Silver Swirl (30mm)
Assorted Flames (30sec)
13s FanSweep Silver Cascade Comet w/ Red Mine (25mm)

Thanks Ed!! :cool:

I haven’t used most of these yet but will be going forward. However, I have used the Candle Barrage and they are really good. Used them for the opener for the 4th. Sadly, forgot to push record until it was over. Anyways, I built a little rack and angled one to the left and right and the center was straight. You will enjoy.

MtnViewPyro
11-16-2017, 11:48 PM
In the link below, is a FanSweep 13s silver cascade w/ red mine. The 13s is really neat but I still prefer the 7s. The 40mm vs 25mm is noticeable between the two.

https://youtu.be/dkvMsOste7A

Rick_In_Tampa
11-19-2017, 05:51 PM
In the link below, is a FanSweep 13s silver cascade w/ red mine. The 13s is really neat but I still prefer the 7s. The 40mm vs 25mm is noticeable between the two.

https://youtu.be/dkvMsOste7A

I'm using the song "Fuel" by Metallica in my July 4th show next year. I plan to fire 3 of the 13 shot slices across a three stage front, twice during that song alone. Along with 3 of the 1 second flame devices. I also have 3 of the 7 shot slices (with the silver swirl) set to go up with additional flame effects during the same song.

It's going to take forever to wire everything, but if what I have in my head translates to what I plan for the show, it's going to be awesome!

Icooclast
11-19-2017, 11:31 PM
I'm using the song "Fuel" by Metallica in my July 4th show next year.

might wanna think about what happened to Napster first. lol. remember metallica sued them for illegally useing their songs without permission? who knows: lars may come after you next. and from what i remember 1 illegally used song by law costs up to $250,000 that's how much the RIAA says they lose in revenue for each illegally used songs. just looking out for a fellow pyro and making a funny, but true joke.

MtnViewPyro
11-20-2017, 12:06 AM
I'm using the song "Fuel" by Metallica in my July 4th show next year. I plan to fire 3 of the 13 shot slices across a three stage front, twice during that song alone. Along with 3 of the 1 second flame devices. I also have 3 of the 7 shot slices (with the silver swirl) set to go up with additional flame effects during the same song.

It's going to take forever to wire everything, but if what I have in my head translates to what I plan for the show, it's going to be awesome!

I’ve got it in my head what you got going I think and it will be awesome. Those silver swirls are going to make it in my 4th show. My wife loves that swirl effect. She watches YouTube videos with me occasionally and she always mentions them in shows. So planning something with that effect for the 4th.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-20-2017, 05:04 PM
might wanna think about what happened to Napster first. lol. remember metallica sued them for illegally useing their songs without permission? who knows: lars may come after you next. and from what i remember 1 illegally used song by law costs up to $250,000 that's how much the RIAA says they lose in revenue for each illegally used songs. just looking out for a fellow pyro and making a funny, but true joke.

They can come after me all they want. I'll be happy to show them the receipt for their song that I paid to download from the Apple store. :p

Rick_In_Tampa
11-20-2017, 05:10 PM
I’ve got it in my head what you got going I think and it will be awesome. Those silver swirls are going to make it in my 4th show. My wife loves that swirl effect. She watches YouTube videos with me occasionally and she always mentions them in shows. So planning something with that effect for the 4th.

I saw those effects at PGI and I thought to myself, oh yeah! Those are going in the show next year!! Your wife has a good eye. I'd keep her around if I were you. Lol... There are tons of nice effects out there, but man.... The cue count goes through the roof!! I want to say it was Spirit of 76 but I can't swear to it, but one of the vendors told us they used 110 Cobra mods to shoot their 1.4G demo at PGI this year. That's so far out of my league it's insane to even imagine.

MtnViewPyro
11-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Lol yeah she is also my camera/sound technician so she is stuck with me haha. Yeah when I watch their musicals I always think about how many cues they go through and it’s insane. For my New year show, I will be using 96 cues (not cobra) but the show is very small. I’m wanting to double my cues by the 4th, but I’m thinking some of it will still need to be fused. A lot of scab wire will go into it lol.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Camera/sound technician?? Lol... That's funny. I threaten my daughter with death and eviction if she doesn't film my shows. Sounds like I need to work on my hiring practices. I asked my wife one year and I got more of the ground and her conversations than I did fireworks.

I finished up my script for next years show so I'd know how many mods to buy on Black Friday. Looks like I need 8 more. Ugh... I can't afford to do a New Years show. The fireworks and the divorce lawyer would kill me.

MtnViewPyro
11-27-2017, 01:03 AM
Got lucky with my wife as far as filming and stuff. She is big into photography, so I bought her a Cannon so I think she was guilted into helping lol. I think this year is the only New Years I will do. Like you said, too expensive after doing good 4th shows. Unless I can get the family to fund New Years and I do the 4th lol.

MontanaMike
11-28-2017, 04:20 PM
They can come after me all they want. I'll be happy to show them the receipt for their song that I paid to download from the Apple store. :p

As a music store operator (until 3 years ago) I can tell you that the receipt does not matter. When you buy a song from iTunes, or if you buy a CD, you're paying for the rights to use it yourself for your own private enjoyment -- you can't broadcast it to an audience, you can't use it on a video that'll be published, etc. A use in a fireworks show would be considered a "public performance" of the song, which is prohibited under the copyright laws. Just pick up any CD and read the fine print on the back of the box.

The chances of you actually getting in trouble are miniscule since you're just one guy, BUT you could definitely get on the wrong side of things if you have a large audience and some bar owner (for example) who pays a hefty fee for an annual ASCAP music license decides to make trouble for you. At the very least, I would strongly discourage putting your show video on Youtube. (If you do, they'll probably just silence your audio track if a music publisher happens to find out about it.) There are ways of putting copyright material on Youtube and getting around the restrictions but I'm not sure how that works. I've never uploaded a video of our shows...they're not good enough yet!

Again, the chances of trouble happening are slim to none. But I just thought I would let you know that the ARE risks, however slight.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-28-2017, 04:47 PM
As a music store operator (until 3 years ago) I can tell you that the receipt does not matter. When you buy a song from iTunes, or if you buy a CD, you're paying for the rights to use it yourself for your own private enjoyment --

Well crap... Didn't think about it in those terms. I see where you're going with that. I can see them going after some big name people who are using their music to make money and not paying them for their songs. But to go after a little guy like me who has less than 100 people show up to watch a free fireworks show... That would seem outrageous, even though legally possible.

Sad state of affairs this world we live in....

Rick_In_Tampa
11-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Got lucky with my wife as far as filming and stuff. She is big into photography, so I bought her a Cannon so I think she was guilted into helping lol. I think this year is the only New Years I will do. Like you said, too expensive after doing good 4th shows. Unless I can get the family to fund New Years and I do the 4th lol.

I would kill to get someone else to help pay for my pyro habit! I'm thinking about starting a go fund me account for next years show.

MtnViewPyro
11-28-2017, 05:32 PM
I would kill to get someone else to help pay for my pyro habit! I'm thinking about starting a go fund me account for next years show.

My family normally throws in some cash after the show. This next year, a few neighbors have said they will give some but I told them they didn’t have to, that way I don’t count on it lol. I have a savings form that I follow for my firework budget. Keeps me on track and out of trouble with my wife lol.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-28-2017, 08:58 PM
I have a savings form that I follow for my firework budget. Keeps me on track and out of trouble with my wife lol.

I don't have a form, just an agreement. She's agreed not to ask, and I've agreed not to lie to her. So far so good.

cherrybomb1
11-28-2017, 09:34 PM
I don't have a form, just an agreement. She's agreed not to ask, and I've agreed not to lie to her. So far so good.

I go with Ernest T Bass modo (Asked me no questions and I'll tell you no Lies)

Icooclast
11-28-2017, 10:03 PM

sort of a don't ask, don't tell policy, huh? that's cool. like murphy's law states "if it's stupid, but works, it isn't stupid"

Rick_In_Tampa
11-28-2017, 10:44 PM
sort of a don't ask, don't tell policy, huh? that's cool. like murphy's law states "if it's stupid, but works, it isn't stupid"

Oh I wish it worked that way... Believe me. The way I do it, it's stupid. I'll admit that myself. I've got $4500 invested in next years show already, and I haven't bought the first cake yet! That's pretty effin stupid. But, I gotta be me! The world would expect no less.

Rick_In_Tampa
11-28-2017, 10:44 PM
I go with Ernest T Bass modo (Asked me no questions and I'll tell you no Lies)

Exactly!!!

esgrillo
11-29-2017, 12:07 AM
Oh I wish it worked that way... Believe me. The way I do it, it's stupid. I'll admit that myself. I've got $4500 invested in next years show already, and I haven't bought the first cake yet! That's pretty effin stupid. But, I gotta be me! The world would expect no less.

Don't worry, some of us are even more afflicted lol

Rick_In_Tampa
11-29-2017, 04:34 PM
Don't worry, some of us are even more afflicted lol

Lol.. Thanks Ed. I knew I was in good company!!

MtnViewPyro
11-29-2017, 11:57 PM
I wouldn’t want to pay Ed’s bill or try to explain it to my wife lol.

esgrillo
11-30-2017, 12:26 AM
I wouldn’t want to pay Ed’s bill or try to explain it to my wife lol.

shhhhh, dont ask dont tell
:D